Barclaycard World MasterCard (Ex Egg Money) Being Replaced with Amex + Visa Combo

Options

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ............the free £15 will keep me happy for now.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    this is disappointing news, but at least
    Gambler wrote: »
    Says there are no limits on the amount you can earn.

is ok.

i have the Barclaycard Cashback which pays 2% in top 5 purchases/month as long as you make at least 15purchases/month. Olly tells me elsewhere that this card is being pulled this year too.

i may well be after an alternative backup to my Amex Cashback in a few months then.:think:
  • planteria
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    It's just as shame they are switching from MC to Visa as that will leave me without a MC now. It's always noce to have at least one CC from each network in case of any problems.

it was always one of 2 or 3 anomalies as a Barclaycard Mastercard. Barclays have been very tied up with Visa for years.
  • planteria
    Options
    Oh, how I miss that green Egg card. Those were the days. If you remember, it used to pay in-credit interest too at good rates!

it was the Black EggMoney that did that, wasn't it? 4% interest when in credit. that'd be handy now:)
  • Chris2000
    Chris2000 Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, but e-mailed them and they said:
    Thank you for contacting us.

I can confirm that we've not released officially this information, as of yet - but I've checked, and we are migrating these card offerings to the Cashback Card.
    That seems a bit quick, barclaycard cashback (later called high 5) was only launched in the second half of 2012 although it was withdrawn from sale before the end of 2013.

There is no way the 2% and 4% rates are sustainable on a visa card unless it encourages enough customers to build a balance they can't afford to repay in full. I guess they now know the answer to that.
  • planteria
    Options
    No, but e-mailed them and they said:
    Thank you for contacting us.

I can confirm that we've not released officially this information, as of yet - but I've checked, and we are migrating these card offerings to the Cashback Card.

As per your account, these are the details for the variation of account.

· A 4 month notice of withdrawal will be sent to customers on 7th March 2014

· A 60 day NoV will be sent to customers on 7th May 2014

Let me also remind you that It's not possible to opt out of these migrations.

However you can continue to use your existing card until your new cashback card is received.

I trust this information is of assistance.

thanks for letting us know macfamily. im in the same boat as you....i will try to bag a grand out of them before the change.

and when the time comes will consider the options carefully. and keep loving American Express Cashback. they've done me a 2.25% deal today:heartpuls
  • planteria
    Options
    Hooloovoo wrote: »
    I want an absolute minimum of two cards so that I have something else two pay with when one card fails. In the same way I want at least two current accounts and two debit cards for when a bank has problems.

im the same, but i have Amex already, so just want 1 alternative in my wallet. and yes, usually have at least 2 cashcards too.
  • planteria
    Options
    Chris2000 wrote: »
    That seems a bit quick, barclaycard cashback (later called high 5) was only launched in the second half of 2012 although it was withdrawn from sale before the end of 2013.

There is no way the 2% and 4% rates are sustainable on a visa card unless it encourages enough customers to build a balance they can't afford to repay in full. I guess they now know the answer to that.

agreed. i actually tend to go way over the 15 transactions. upto about 26 this month. but i do 3 or 4 fairly sizeable transactions too, and pay in full, so i suppose im one of those customers who is showing them it doesn't pay:think:
  • Ianmc
    Ianmc Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I too have recieved the letter and complained to Barclaycard that this is unfair. The fact that they won't offer a like for like replacement rather than can't is unfair. I am also concidering taking this to the regulator as a breach of T&C for my current casback deal. Anybody any idea if this unfair change is legal?

malc_b wrote: »
    I dunno if it is worth it but I've complained to Barclaycard about the change telling them to make it formal so I can take to the regulator. This is a reduction in the features offered by the card, no matter what spin they try to put on it. When capital one dropped the free travel insurance they gave £10 per year in compensation. There is no compensation from Barclaycard for the loss of free extended warranty etc. so it seems to me it could be argued that they are in breach of contract, maybe.

Other that that I'd say all users at least write/email barclaycard to tell them what a rubbish idea it is, how unhappy users are, and how many users tell will lose.
  • Chris2000
    Chris2000 Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sarah7 wrote: »
    e.g. it mentions no longer having to pay an annual fee
    If they migrate cards with an annual fee, I expect they will also have to refund the current year's annual fee. Unless the reduced cashback only takes effect from the next anniversary date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure