Barclaycard World MasterCard (Ex Egg Money) Being Replaced with Amex + Visa Combo

Options

Comments

• 36square
    36square Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    malc_b wrote: »
    Other that that I'd say all users at least write/email barclaycard to tell them what a rubbish idea it is, how unhappy users are, and how many users tell will lose.

I've just done that. Since fewer retailers accept Amex, the Visa version will have to be used giving only 0.5% back. This represents a clear deterioration in the card's terms and conditions.
    And as I've always thought that Amex is a bit naff, I'll be very reluctant to use it. Fortunately, I've also got a Santander 123 but the Barclaycard was always useful for retailers that the 123 didn't cover. Unfortunately, there aren't many good cashback alternatives out there. Maybe I'll look for an interest-free purchase card instead.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 February 2014 at 6:36PM
    Options
    Just got home and found the letter on my doormat. Like others, I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

And why they think having two different cards with two different cashback rates is less "complicated" than one card with a single cashback rate is beyond me.

Anyway, I'll be letting my account transfer, banking the £15 welcome bonus, then (probably) ditching.
  • alkip
    alkip Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I've been waiting for something like this to happen since Egg sold out / was absorbed into or whatever, Barclaycard.

I'll be waiting for my cash back anniversary from the current card then switching.

Billy Barclays strikes again :doh:
    Live long and prosper
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    Didn't they pay a few hundred million pounds for the egg card holders? I wonder how many will now close their accounts.

Ditch and Switch or Pump and Dump?
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • ScoobyZ
    ScoobyZ Posts: 487 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DesG wrote: »
    Maybe you should look at the Amazon CC, has 2% on Amazon spends, 1% elsewhere, and it is a Mastercard.

Assuming cashback as Amazon vouchers is good for you.

Cheers, Des.

Nice one, time for me to ditch, had this since the Egg days. Will get the £15 for the £300 spend then switch. I shop at Amazon all the time so will be handy.
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Like everyone else, I received this letter today, it's been a long time coming. I think we all knew when they took over the cc business from egg they would do this eventually

The marketing team must have pondered for hours on how they could sell the removal of all the insurances and giving two cards instead of one and the best they could come up with, it's less complicated....well it probably is as there's no insurance to complicate matters!

I will probably use it to get the bonus money and then ditch it. I already have a nationwide credit card at 0.5% cash back (to be used as a back up card as it's a visa) and an amex red card (1% cash back to charity, got this back in the day when they gave out gifts like iPod shuffle etc) for just incase, I also have halifax clarity cc. I might look at amazon one (not considered that before) as main spending card in the future.

To be fair to egg and then barclaycard, I've had a shed load if cash back over the years and never paid a penny in interest so don't really blame them ;-)
  • kirkbyinfurnesslad_2
    Options
    I cant complain either, had plenty of cash!
    Proud to be a member of the Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Gang.:D:T
  • OverlandLandy
    Options
    ScoobyZ wrote: »
    Nice one, time for me to ditch, had this since the Egg days. Will get the £15 for the £300 spend then switch. I shop at Amazon all the time so will be handy.

Ditto..... I applied for an Amazon one tonight...got accepted in under 60 Seconds....

Will spend the £300 (to the penny) get the £15 and then Ditch..

Will we be the Barclays £300 club?
    I am NOT a Woman! - its Overland Landy (as in A Landrover that travels Overland):rolleyes:

Better to be approximately right than precisely wrong.
  • Sarah7
    Sarah7 Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Froggitt wrote: »
    Didn't they pay a few hundred million pounds for the egg card holders? I wonder how many will now close their accounts.

They probably inherited a lot more Egg Card cardholders than Egg Money holders, so the majority of ex-Egg customers most likely either settled for uninteresting Barclaycard accounts or already left in 2011.
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ditto..... I applied for an Amazon one tonight...got accepted in under 60 Seconds....

Will spend the £300 (to the penny) get the £15 and then Ditch..

Will we be the Barclays £300 club?

Did they match your credit limit that the barclaycard had?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure