Barclaycard World MasterCard (Ex Egg Money) Being Replaced with Amex + Visa Combo

Options

Comments

• utigers
    utigers Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    Got the letter too.....what a shame.

I really don't want 2 cards, are they doing it because not everyone takes Amex? I like just having one 'core' card and thats it. Time to swap after the £15 of course!

Regarding the existing benefits of the Barclay card, is there any accidental damage cover?
  • xerif
    xerif Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Another former Egg card holder who doesn't want 2 cards. I found Amex was a curse last time I used it so after the introduction I'm away. Probably Amazon as the cash back is an annual Gadget treat!
  • SammenForLivet2
    Options
    Have you had a letter?

No, but e-mailed them and they said:
    Thank you for contacting us.

I can confirm that we've not released officially this information, as of yet - but I've checked, and we are migrating these card offerings to the Cashback Card.

As per your account, these are the details for the variation of account.

· A 4 month notice of withdrawal will be sent to customers on 7th March 2014

· A 60 day NoV will be sent to customers on 7th May 2014

Let me also remind you that It's not possible to opt out of these migrations.

However you can continue to use your existing card until your new cashback card is received.

I trust this information is of assistance.
    Thank you all for helping me make my day by saving money!
  • newfoundglory
    newfoundglory Posts: 1,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 March 2014 at 12:57PM
    Options
    Sarah7 wrote: »
    Oh yes, I'd forgotten latecomers had slightly different terms. I think you're right.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1198925/Egg-brings-1-monthly-charge-credit-card.html

(July 2009 - a very long time ago!!!!)

The card was in any case well ahead of its time - not just on fees - as well as the 4% in credit interest, i'm sure you could draw cash out on it free of charge as well; i remember trying it!
  • mjr
    mjr Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Interestingly my letter made it look like I was being migrated because I hadn't used the account for a while, as they made specific reference to this in the opening sentences - "We've noticed you haven't used your Barclaycard in a while and we wanted to let you know we'll be making some changes to your account. We'll be withdrawing you card and moving you to our new Barclaycard Cashback credit card account." Looks like it's everyone though!

I have an Amazon MasterCard with 1% cashback (they just email you with a Gift Certificate code when you have £10 worth of points) and just slightly preferred their online management to Barclaycard's so it's been my preferred card for a while.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ditto..... I applied for an Amazon one tonight...got accepted in under 60 Seconds....

That's odd. I've never had a problem getting a credit card before but the Amazon site said they would give me a decision "within 2 weeks."
  • Hooloovoo
    Hooloovoo Posts: 1,281 Forumite
    Options
    Got my letter this morning. To be honest I expected the cashback to be cancelled completely within six months of Barclaycard buying the Egg accounts, so I'm amazed it's lasted this long.

I don't quite understand why people are saying "I don't want two cards".

I want an absolute minimum of two cards so that I have something else two pay with when one card fails. In the same way I want at least two current accounts and two debit cards for when a bank has problems.

I'll keep the two cards. It's not like they take up much room in my wallet. And there doesn't appear to be much better available in terms of cashback right now.
  • butterfly72
    butterfly72 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I've just received my letter too. I think I'll spend the £300 get my £15 and then decide what to do. I never spent much on the Barclaycard anyway, just enough for a small DD to come out in order for me to qualify for my £5 reward on one of my Halifax current accounts.

I've just been accepted for a Halifax Clarity for use abroad but my main CC is currently use an old Tesco one for which I get a decent amount of points. Its weighing up the benefits!
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2014 at 3:12PM
    Options
    Hooloovoo wrote: »

I'll keep the two cards. It's not like they take up much room in my wallet. And there doesn't appear to be much better available in terms of cashback right now.

This has been my thought with everyone saying their going to switch. There really isn't anything better cash back wise.
  • scottishstu
    scottishstu Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really annoying for me. I don't use cards often, but keep two. I took out a Barclaycard Simplicity with decent rate to keep for large purchases to slowly pay off, and had the Egg Card for ages to use for work travel expenses etc so I could get the cashback then pay off in full monthly when my employer paid my expenses.

Worked well, until Barclaycard took over Egg, then I had two Barclaycards but as one is Visa and one is MC World, I kept it up. Now I'll have three Barclaycards - two Visa and one Amex. Eugh.

Will keep until I get the £15 then think about dumping.

Also, I note they don't mention credit limits changing, but the issuing of two cards *feels* naughty as some people might see them in their wallet and be tempted to spend more...?

Maybe not, just my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport