We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Barclaycard World MasterCard (Ex Egg Money) Being Replaced with Amex + Visa Combo

Options

Comments

• ah.. good point on the 2%... but still not accepted in as many places... good for food from major supermarkets, fuel etc I guess?
    I am NOT a Woman! - its Overland Landy (as in A Landrover that travels Overland):rolleyes:

Better to be approximately right than precisely wrong.
  • reclusive46
    Options
    ah.. good point on the 2%... but still not accepted in as many places... good for food from major supermarkets, fuel etc I guess?

its good in pretty much any nationwide chain (with a few exceptions like H&M (who didn't even take it in the US until a few months ago) and B&Q). Small shops it just depends on where you live. If your in London or the East of England I find most small shops accept it. Shops who use Barclaycard terminals are also basically be forced to accept it when they renew their contracts as well.

One tip though is to never ask if a place accepts it, staff will say no when they they actually do take it sometimes. Same with looking for the logo, two of my local restaurants don't have the Amex logo up but accept it just fine. This is mainly because the Amex stickers are often sent separately from the rest of the logos and then never put up.

Online, remember you can use PayPal or Amazon payments a lot of the time Amex isn't accepted.
  • guesswho2000
    Options
    One tip though is to never ask if a place accepts it, staff will say no when they they actually do take it sometimes. Same with looking for the logo, two of my local restaurants don't have the Amex logo up but accept it just fine. This is mainly because the Amex stickers are often sent separately from the rest of the logos and then never put up.

Online, remember you can use PayPal or Amazon payments a lot of the time Amex isn't accepted.

+1 from me for this too, in fact I had one small-ish hotel in London which, on its website, specifically states that they do not take Amex, however upon jamming the card in the terminal, it worked just fine. A case of them trying to avoid the higher merchant fees I expect.

And I can't remember where online, but there was one shop I bought something from which didn't take Amex but did use Amazon payments and, as reclusive stated, that was the loophole to use the Amex card.
  • comdw
    Options
    Just checked my May statement and cashback earned was £0.00. Secure message sent, and reply was:

"We have recently become aware of this issue and an investigation is currently on-going to determine the cause of this error. Whilst we do not have a fix date as yet we can assure you that this is being managed at a high level with appropriate priority attached to it."

Anyone else with the same problem?

Also for those with the 6 months double cashback, I noticed this wording in my complaint resolution offer:

"I can confirm that the double cashback offer has been activated on your account today for your new cards"

That was back in March but only got the new cards today. Anyone think they'll try and date it from March instead of today??
  • Hooloovoo
    Hooloovoo Posts: 1,281
    edited 15 May 2014 at 9:52PM
    Options
    comdw wrote: »
    Just checked my May statement and cashback earned was £0.00. Secure message sent, and reply was:

"We have recently become aware of this issue and an investigation is currently on-going to determine the cause of this error. Whilst we do not have a fix date as yet we can assure you that this is being managed at a high level with appropriate priority attached to it."

I've just had my statement for May. I have two lots of cashback listed.

One is in a box headed "Your cashback" and correctly lists my 1% cashback for this month, and the total for the anniversary period.

The second is in a box headed "Your cashback summary" which says I've earned nothing this month, and have zero balance. It has a blank anniversary date, and a greyed-out box labelled "Request cashback".

It seems clear to me that the first box is the old cashback system, and the second is the new system for the new cards. I am sure that my cashback will be migrated across to the new system on my next statement. However, just to be sure I have taken a print (and PDF) of my May statement so that I can show what my cashback should be just in case it doesn't go across properly.
    Also for those with the 6 months double cashback, I noticed this wording in my complaint resolution offer:

"I can confirm that the double cashback offer has been activated on your account today for your new cards"

That was back in March but only got the new cards today. Anyone think they'll try and date it from March instead of today??
    My offer specifically said "from migration".

I will not be able to check the cashback rate until my new cards arrive, and my next statement is processed.

I very much doubt they will try to apply it from March for you.
  • comdw
    Options
    Hooloovoo wrote: »
    One is in a box headed "Your cashback" and correctly lists my 1% cashback for this month, and the total for the anniversary period...

Mine were both £0.00. They did confirm what my cashback for May actually was though so I guess they will sort.
    Hooloovoo wrote: »
    I very much doubt they will try to apply it from March for you.

Will need to keep an eye on it!
  • King_Of_Fools
    Options
    comdw wrote: »

I appear to have the same problem.
  • kforshaw
    Options
    I have mine in hand. The letter that they were attached to (they arrive in the same letter) still states 1% and 0.5% cashback, so despite it being personalised, I'm assuming that it's a stock letter.
    2 Tickets to Blackrock Masters Tennis:j
  • LosEndos
    Options
    Tried to use the Amex in Tesco, but it said the PIN was wrong. Do they send new PINs or does the old PIN work with both new cards?
  • darren72
    Options
    LosEndos wrote: »
    Tried to use the Amex in Tesco, but it said the PIN was wrong. Do they send new PINs or does the old PIN work with both new cards?

The new cards are supposed to have the same PIN as your existing Mastercard.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport