We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Finding a job following dismissal for gross misconduct

Options

Comments

• Shazza122
    Options
    I think if you read the rest of my posts I have completely admitted I am at fault!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Shazza122 wrote: »
    I think if you read the rest of my posts I have completely admitted I am at fault!!
    I've read them, but subsequently you have been apportioning blame to your employer and expressing bitterness that they deducted holidays you had no entitlement to.
    If you are going to appeal, then you need to focus on your own actions and hope they will reconsider your sacking...
  • Shazza122
    Options
    I'm sorry if it seems that way I didn't mean to put the blame on anyone else but myself :-(
  • monty-doggy
    monty-doggy Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Please don't keep beating yourself up. I was dismissed for misuse of petty cash. I paid it back and I didn't hide it, all my colleagues knew I posted a personal parcel when a colleague went to the post office using petty cash, and then when I knew how much it would cost I'd pay it back from my own money. Regardless of my reasons I was sacked for a breakdown in trust, albeit in my termination letter it said theft of £10 even though I didn't steal it, it was paid back before I was suspended or disciplinary.

I didn't appeal because like you I was a mess and to be honest i couldn't have gone back.

I know exactly how you feel, mine was just before Xmas and left me in a financial mess which is why I got the temp job as a matter of urgency.

I'm now in a permanent job. I didn't go into over the top detail with my new employer, I simply outlined the incident leading up to my dismissal, I told them I was dismissed as they felt there was a breakdown of relationship and trust. I also spoke very positively about what I've learnt and what I want out of a future role. I'm now a grade lower than I was before, but I feel less responsibility and more work life balance will help me to never get into that mess again.

Don't keep hating yourself, everyone makes mistakes. It won't be easy to move on but you can and you will.

Best of luck xx
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    With me I was somewhat fortunate in that one job didn't ask for any details as to why I'd left my last job, the other had "inside" knowledge of the situation previous. (A friend of one of the staff in current workplace knew what happened - they actually "knew" more than I did about the outcome) But in the interviews I had got other than those I simply stated the reasons why I was fired & the lessons I learned from it - but it wasn't easy.

I dread questions like "why did you leave this employer?" on application forms as they're not representative of the actuality of the situation. There's no way to dress up the mistake I made, but the reality of it is that I was screwed over & the company involved know it, but because I'd made a simple error I had no argument over the course of action. It's something I can easily "fib" about and say it was the end of a temporary contract, but that's not my style - I may have botched something, but I'm also the first to hold my hand up and admit it.

The truth is there is usually someone out there willing to take a punt on someone and that's the kind of person you need - it only takes one person to take a chance on you. Might even be an idea to look towards smaller temporary roles for now at entry levels if for nothing else to put some "distance" between the roles you're seeking & your dismissal. You've clearly understood the reasoning & have learned a great deal from it, you're not the first person in the world to be fired for gross misconduct, neither will you be the last. You just have to reconcile that knowledge with your own mentality and push forward from it without continuing to beat yourself up over it. I honestly did exactly the same thing for a long time even after discovering the ultimate truth of what happened in my case, but the day I said "no more!" was the day I moved on from it. Arguably helps that I have had significantly worse days, but it's all about putting it into proportion & well, while I openly admit it & tell the story of the mistake I made & what I learned, it's all about delivering the truth, that is that I'm confident in my own ability to do whatever job I'm applying for. Sure I'm never going to get a job in a bank (losing no sleep over that!), but it's not going to stop me applying for things - even when I do see that awful question.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • Shazza122
    Options
    Hi Monty,

So good to hear from someone that was in a similar position.

I just don't feel my life is my own anymore. I'm constantly running it all around in my mind!! Only sleep about four hours a night and as soon as I wake I think "oh god"!!!

I've got an interview tomorrow and another on Wednesday but I've convinced myself nobody is ever going to employ me again, that we're going to end up homeless and I will end up alone :-((

I'm applying for everything available and just want to be able to work again :-((
  • Shazza122
    Options
    Thanks Bluenose.

My partner is getting so mad at me girl not "pulling myself together" but I just can't seem to find anything positive in my life at the moment.

Can I ask you if you think I should be upfront straight away? Or wait to see if they ask why I left? I want to be honest as I couldn't live with a potential big black cloud following me around if I didn't make potential employers aware of the situation.....
  • sensibleadvice
    Options
    It's all too easy to react and blame others when things go wrong.

IMO there's a lot to be said for taking responsibility for your own actions in work and in every day life and OP has done this. Whilst it doesn't make the action right what you do about it is just as important. If you can get that across at interview, some employers may recognise your actions as naive rather than with intent.

It may mean many more applications and interviews but perhaps also test different approaches at interview to gauge reaction - if they haven't asked, tell them at the end you have something you'd like to bring to their attention.....Could even select when to do this, if you thought the interview went bad try it as you may feel there is little to lose but could gain feedback and reaction on outright honesty.

Whilst there's nothing to lose with your ex employer, as others have said, appeal whilst you're within the time frame to do so. Incidentally, have how did you accept the T&C's and is there a record that you've accepted them?
  • Shazza122
    Options
    Thanks Sensible.

I did sign the form with the T&Cs but silly me just didn't read them....talk about a lesson learned!!!
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    Well, the only thing I can say is that it's possible to move forward from a GM dismissal - AP007 is being slightly judgemental with the sweeping "I wouldn't hire anyone who's been dismissed for GM"! I've been there & fortunately now managed to gain two jobs since my sacking a couple of years ago and while it's not easy it's all about perseverence.

Its hard enough to get a job when you have been made redundant when that was no fault of your own. Lots of companies wont interview people who are not in work let alone ones who got a GM against them.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure