FAQs to Flight Delay Compensation queries - please read before posting

Options

Comments

• Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is no time limit specifically laid down, but I think it would be very difficult for the airline to persuade a judge that this issue wasn't in control of the airline, and that there were not thinks they could have done to avoid the "knock on" delay to you flight - which is two rotations back.
  • lorrainea1975
    Options
    I have tried to claim for a 3hr plus delay which occurred with BA back in 2008 not long after they opened Terminal 5. My claim got rejected by BA, I submitted a claim to the CAA and they have said that as the delay was more that 6 years ago then they unable to process my claim and are closing my file. Yet on Martin's website it states that you can claim back to 2005 can anyone help in where I go from here?
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have tried to claim for a 3hr plus delay which occurred with BA back in 2008 not long after they opened Terminal 5. My claim got rejected by BA, I submitted a claim to the CAA and they have said that as the delay was more that 6 years ago then they unable to process my claim and are closing my file. Yet on Martin's website it states that you can claim back to 2005 can anyone help in where I go from here?

Forget it ... out of time (6 years for a court claim) .... they have strung you along unfortunately.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yet on Martin's website it states that you can claim back to 2005 can anyone help in where I go from here?
    this has been discussed a number of times as the article is misleading. You are restricted based on your country
    Scotland - you have 5 years to take it to court
    England and Wales - 6 years
    Spain has 10 years (?)
    Any airline can safely ignore you or reject your claim if you are out of time to take further action as there is nothing you can do about it
  • TedCrow
    Options
    Apologies if this question has already been covered, I have looked extensively but couldn't find anything.
    Q. I had both outbound and return flights cancelled and therefore made my own alternative arrangements. The airline has refunded me the cost of the flight tickets in full. Can I still claim compensation from them? eg for inconvenience, additional costs(the alternative travel arrangements were more expensive) etc. Many thanks in advance.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TedCrow wrote: »
    Q. I had both outbound and return flights cancelled and therefore made my own alternative arrangements. The airline has refunded me the cost of the flight tickets in full. Can I still claim compensation from them? eg for inconvenience, additional costs(the alternative travel arrangements were more expensive) etc. Many thanks in advance.
    More information required.
    Why were the flights cancelled? (e.g. weather/ATC cancellations do not get compensation)
    How far in advance were the flights cancelled (if over 14 days then no compensation applies)
    Did you ask the airline to reroute you?
  • Coops27
    Options
    Received this email today and was wondering if anyone can help due to the fact it seems that they wont pay compensation, even though our flight was delayed overnight and for 24 hours ...Further more , EasyJet staff on 3 occasions told me 3 different reasons for the delay, non of them being ATC, which the email is stating.

Dear Mr Cooper,

I’m very sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused you following the disruption to your flight to London Luton.

Our aim is to operate all our flights safely and on time. We do all we possibly can to minimise disruption but unfortunately on some occasions we’re unable to keep to our schedule.

The compensation rules set by the EU clearly state that if the disruption is within our control you are entitled to compensation and if it considered ‘extraordinary’ then no compensation is payable.

Having looked at the details of your flight 2268, I can confirm that the reason for your disruption was due to Atc Restrictions. This event is classified as “extraordinary” under EC Regulation 261/2004 as it was outside of our control. This means that in this instance there is no compensation payable.

More information including your ‘notice of rights’ and the full policy is available on our website:

Once again I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused and hope to welcome you on board again soon.

Yours sincerely

Alina
    easyJet Customer Services

Many thanks
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you post your flight details. Day date etc
  • Coops27
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for swift reply. My details that you required are as follows....

Original flight no' EZY2268 on the Saturday the 11th June at 21:25 local time, from Barcelona to London Luton. Cancelled and rescheduled for Sunday the 12th June at 12:15 LT, then delayed until an hour later, then delayed for 5 minutes, then whilst on the plane it was getting ready to taxi, then another 10 min delay..
    Actual time departed was 13:30 LT, on EZY 9268.
    Actual time of cancellation to Actual time of departure was 16h 5m. (An overnight cancellation)

Hope this helps... Thank you
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Log into Bottonline or euclaim and put in those details. It is a good indicator if you are due compensation
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure