MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Options

Comments

• sulphate
    sulphate Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    view thank you very much for the list of hospital bag things, that's really useful :) and your advice post very useful too.

Loveactually and Timeflies hope you are enjoying your maternity leave so far :) I expect you are really excited and look forward to hearing when your little girl arrives.

Toooldforthisagain Sorry to hear about complications hope everything is ok, and you don't have to wait too long.

shorty sorry that you are struggling atm :(You are very brave for studying for an exam though!

freebiequennie, tia86 and mr_knight congratulations on your new arrivals hope everything is ok.

Nicky, how did your scan go last week? Hope everything is ok.

I might update the list, if I don't break it hmm!

ATM I'm very annoyed due to work. Some of my workload involves manual handling now and again, running up and down flights of stairs with large amounts of paperwork due to a project I work on, and whilst it's part of the job, there are 3 other suitable people with the same job role as me that these particular tasks could be given to which they don't have to do currently. I last had to do it 2 weeks ago and nearly passed out, my centre of gravity on the stairs whilst carrying large amounts of paperwork isn't what it used to be. I have tried to explain this to my boss but she doesn't have any understanding whatsoever as she has no interest in this particular project (even though she's supposed to be managing it). I am due to have a risk assessment soon but I can't see how that will help the situation when my boss is the one that runs through it with me and she just doesn't "get it".

We were supposed to have a chat yesterday about it and do the risk assessment then but she told me she was too busy then proceeded to take a 1.5 hour lunch break so she could go out for lunch with another colleague. She told me I must not do any lifting then this morning dumped 6 plastic crates in my office to put away, she might be my line manager but I am not her secretary/PA to do menial tasks that she can't be ar*ed to do herself.

So frustrating :(
  • sulphate
    Options
    DUE DATE LIST
    1. angeltreats - 24th November 2014 ?
    2. runmichellerun - 25th November 2014 :female:
    3. b_girl - 30th November 2014 ?
    4. Loveactually - 14 December 2014 ?
    5. Shorty1978 - 24 December 2014 ?
    6. Toooldforthis - 25 December 2014 :male:
    7. Island.girl- 25th December ?
    8. Timeflies - Boxing Day 2014:xmastree:?
    9. alice31 - 29 December 2014 ?
    10. freshstart11- 4 January 2015
    11. lotti1982- 21 January 2015 :male:
    12. Nicky Noo Na - 11 February 2015 ?
    13. sulphate - 12 February 2015 ?
    14. fuzzipeg - 14th February 2015:male: (delivery w/c 31/1/15)
    15. Estateprincess - 15th February 2015 ?
    16. Mrs_T_M - 24th February 2015 ?
    When you see this post do your pelvic floor exercises

Hospital Bag List here
    Supplement List and Dosage here

BIRTH LIST - Within the last month
    :female: Angela84 Erin 4 November
    :female: Northern78 Isla 8 November
    :female: view - Adeleine was born on 18 November at 9.11am weighing 6lb 15oz
    :male: freebiequennie James was born on 20 November
    :male: tia86 Born on 27 November
    :male: mr_knight Born on 2 December

PROBABLY GIVEN BIRTH BUT TOO WORN OUT TO LOG ON LIST

[*]Amileigh - 16th October 2014 :male:
    [*]Impulse1976 - 4th November 2014?

Allow 2 weeks after EDD before transferring to this list (Max 6 weeks)

CONTRACTION MASTER TIMER

Please post your birth stories here when you have time/energy

Congrats to all babies born and all new mums! Hello to all newbies and get well to all those under the weather. Also hope all with worries get them sorted.

• sulphate
    Options
    Ladies who have given birth, I have updated your details on the list. I hope this is ok!

I just noticed how many of us are team yellow!

New joiners please feel free to add yourselves! x
  • Timeflies
    Options
    Thanks for updating the list sulphate - it hadn't been done for a while! I'm 37 weeks on Friday and moving up the list!:eek:

Congratulations tia86 and mr_knight on your new bundles of cuddles - hope you're all doing well.:beer:

Good luck with your studies shorty1978 - just do a manageable amount and spend some time relaxing too.

Hope you're enjoying your leave loveactually.

Toooldforthis- did you hear whether you'll get booked in for a c section?

I'm on day 3 of maternity leave - have half packed my hospital bag, but don't feel mentally or practically ready - still lots of housework & making space for baby things before i'll feel relaxed. I have been making plans for lunches and meet ups though, so that's good :)

I've been putting my feet up a lot, and they haven't swelled up in the last few days. I've just had some abdominal itching & a general ache in my torso - belly & back and feel full - can't decide if it's constipation or just baby taking up room, I'm just feeling full in my pelvis if that makes sense. I slept through on Saturday night, but since then have been awake for 1.5-4 hrs in the early hours every night. Anyone have any tips to share for late abdominal/back discomfort and sleeplessness? I've been reading up on labour to try to feel prepared and visualise what it will be like and what I'll need (I'm a bit of a planner, and very particular about packing), but maybe over-thinking it is making me too anxious to sleep.
  • Timeflies
    Options
    I meant to say also, sulphate - your manager putting off the risk assessment doesn't mean you have to do risky things!

I'd suggest a calm but firm, "I'm not happy to do that in my condition. Could you get someone else to do it?" If you get any negative response like "it's only a little box/one flight of stairs" you can say "my midwife has advised against it."

Your manager doesn't sound very geared up to adjustments in the workplace, but must know asking you to do something you've said you can't do for medical reasons isn't going to reflect well on her as a manager (even if she's not too fussed about your welfare per se).
  • Nicky_Noo_Na
    Options
    My scan results were good thanks Sulphate - it was very brief but showed good blood flow through cord and baby is growing well! Also had a 2nd CTG which the doctor explained the results of and that all looked good too. No reason to think the pregnancy won't progress as normal now. Baby is measuring a week ahead so not sure if that means I'll go into labour early but I'm hoping they will hang until Feb!

That is disgraceful of your manager, why have they not done a risk assessment yet? They are supposed to do one as soon as you tell them you're pregnant! To be fair my work haven't done one or even mentioned it but I am quite happy saying no to things and my job is about 90% desk based now. Most of our processes are risk assessed anyway and we have a strong H and S awareness as we are NHS. You need to just say no as time flies suggests and say you feel uncomfortable/are not able to do the tasks you are being asked to do, there is nothing they can do if you are refusing on safety grounds. I can't even manage the stairs any more at the start of my working day never mind carrying things during a shift!

Congrats on the new babies, would love to hear birth stories if anyone has any time to share!

I'm 30 weeks today and bump is growing rapidly, only 10 weeks till due date and only about 18 days left at work - eek!
  • sulphate
    Options
    Thanks Timeflies and Nicky. My manager is conveniently off for the rest of the week now so can't discuss any more with her until next week.

Tbh I didn't realise I needed a risk assessment as I thought they just do generic risk assessments that include risk of working for pregnant women etc. But with my letter from the HR department granting my maternity leave came with it a sheet telling me I need a risk assessment. Had to contact HR to get form though. Not very impressed that they are totally un proactive. I told them at 10 weeks I was pregnant and it's always been me asking questions i.e. when I have to apply for leave, risk assessment, annual leave entitlement etc etc - they never contact me about things it's just left up to me. Which is fine as it's my responsibility and I accept that but my manager didn't have the slightest idea about anything and didn't understand that I had to formally apply for leave, but a lot of it she could have found out through looking through our organisation's HR website. Just before I told her that I was about to apply (at 25 weeks which is pretty standard?) for mat leave she made some comment about "surely you don't need to think about that just yet it's still early days" etc.

Nicky - glad to hear all ok with scan! Must have been nice to see baby again :)
  • Timeflies
    Timeflies Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's great news Nicky Noo Na- glad all the results were encouraging. At least you have some notice baby might be a bit early!

My HR manager was equally useless sulphate, although I have a new one now, so hopefully she's better than he was (he didn't even know the basics, like holiday carry forward or dates I had to notify, and he had several weeks' notice that I was meeting with him at 25 weeks! Your line manager should have at least looked up what she had to do online/ask HR once she found out you were expecting, even if she's never had a pregnant direct report before.

Quite a busy day for me today, but been awake since 3am - I think I've had enough sleepless night practice now, thanks baby - let's have a full night's sleep tonight!
  • Toooldforthisagain
    Options
    Hi just a quick one .... Baby Jacob born 04/12 by c-section as the fluid was becoming under safe. Little one is on special care as has fluid on lungs :( hopefully not for much longer. Will post full details later
    He is absolutely gorgeous I am so in love x
    If you can’t look on the bright side,
    I will sit with you in the dark
  • Lotti1982
    Options
    Congratulations tofta, hope baby Jacob is giving you cuddles soon xxx
    Planning to be debt free by 11/20. MFW Jan 2028 - [STRIKE]86700[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]83057.20[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]81629.13[/STRIKE] 78761.29 mortgage should end August 2045 now 04/2041
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure