MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Options

Comments

• Nicky_Noo_Na
    Options
    Thanks for the birth story, I've heard a few people mention straws so they are on my list!

Glad everything was OK in the end sulphate, again our pregnancies seem very similar but I certainly haven't been told to eat more carbs! Do you mind me asking how much weight you have put on so far? I'm coming up to 2 stone which for almost 32 weeks I don't think is too bad.

Bump feels huge to me but people keep telling me it's not that big, measuring spot on each week with midwife though and baby was above average on the growth scan but below 90th centile so all good really.

We've been decorating again this weekend, stripping wallpaper off in 2 rooms seemed like a good idea this morning! Luckily hubby has done most of the work and I've helped where I can. I actually quite enjoy stripping wallpaper so did a couple of hours then just lots of tidying and making food. We also popped to tesco as they have a good offer on pampers new baby nappies and I also have a voucher but as suspected they were all sold out! My first trip down the nappy aisle and half of it was pampers, so many different varieties! I have 2 small packs that my mum bought me but am guessing 46 nappies dont last a newborn very long with 10-12 changes a day so I've read! Will try and buy some before baby is born as don't think hubby could cope with finding the right ones in a rush once baby is here lol. Going to also get a few newborn packs from aldi as they are good price wise and I've heard good reviews then just see which fit baby best and/or try some supermarket own brands. Realised we don't yet have a changing mat so need to get that sorted and a few more things for my hospital bag but not due till Feb so still got a bit of time! Still stuck on a coming home outfit for baby. Are people going for an actual outfit or a nice patterned sleepsuit?
  • view
    view Posts: 2,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congrats to everyone on the recent births. Sorry to hear some of you have had quite a time of it and I hope things level out now and you can just enjoy the wonderful newborness time

With regards to bag packing, I had two bags one for me and one for the baby. I put a list of what I found essential a few posts back if anyone wants to check.

With regard to breast pumps I cannot highly recommend a electric pump rather than a hand pump. The Medela electric pump I have found to be absolutely brilliant, it is quite pricey but worth that I feel.
  • Timeflies
    Options
    Thanks for the tip off on Pampers nappies Nicky Noo Na - I had gone round Superdrug Boots and Waitrose comparing prices, but that Tesco deal was much better and I bought some there. Someone on a different thread mentioned bumdeal.co.uk - I think I'll use that in future - it shows where's the cheapest place to buy any brand/size of nappy you want.

I've not packed particular coming home outfit - but I've packed 4 bodysuits and 3 sleepsuits (plus cardy, blanket hat & mittens), so it will be whatever they have on at the time of those! Well done on getting the decorating done :)

In theory I have 10 days to go today, starting to feel a bit more ready for the birth! In my mind, anything after Thursday this week would not send me panicking!:eek: (I think)
  • sulphate
    sulphate Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    Timeflies thank you! I am not surprised you have been panic buying. I think I will too after I start maternity leave!

mr_knight thank you for sharing your birth story! I hope things continue to go ok.

Nicky I haven't weighed myself since booking, I just got out my scales but the batteries have gone so I will take that as a sign that I shouldn't know! lol. I also ordered the pampers nappy boxes with our weekly shop but they weren't available so I got 2 small packs instead which were on offer too. Regarding coming home outfit, baby will come home in any outfit it hasn't been sick on :D but we do have a nice paddington bear sleepsuit!

view thank you for the tip about the breast pump, I think I will wait until baby is here before I buy one so I know it will definitely be used.

Had second antenatal class today was mainly about breast feeding was quite interesting.

I have a really silly question about sheets. I have plenty of fitted sheets for moses basket and cotbed. But it seems like shops mostly sell fitted sheets which clearly aren't suitable for putting over baby? Am I being stupid here? What kind of sheets should I be looking for?
  • Timeflies
    Options
    Sulphate, it seems to me the usual set up is a fitted (elasticated) sheet covering the mattress, then a blanket over baby, tucked in under the mattress. I haven't seen any flat (over baby) sheets used.

I suppose for adults, a flat sheet is used under a blanket, and the blanket isn't washed very often, just the sheet, whereas baby blankets get washed frequently.

Mind you the mothercare website seems to say you need top/flat sheets too: http://www.mothercare.com/beginners-guide-to-sleep/advice-ms-baby-caring-sub3,default,pg.html

I'm sure someone will have a good idea as to why baby "needs" a flat sheet, just as someone else will tell you they don't!

I found the breastfeeding class useful too - when they tell you baby's stomach starts the size of a marble, you realise they're not actually expecting you to provide gallons of milk in the first few days!
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We just use a flat sheet over the mattress and a blanket over the baby. We'll use sleeping bags when she's a bit bigger. I would recommend waterproof mattress protectors too, we have one in her crib (the moses basket mattress is wipe clean) in case of accidents like nappy leaks or milk spills. Luckily we have a baby who at nearly three weeks old has never been sick/spat up but there's plenty of other stuff that can stain a mattress! We have one on our bed too which has survived a major expressed milk spillage and a wee before we worked out that she likes to wee when the nappy comes off...
  • shorty1978
    Options
    Just popping in to see how everyone is getting on. One little week now for me until due date- 7 scary days!!!

Thanks for asking about the exam Timeflies- it went as well as my baby brain would allow. I'm glad its over.

I've been so ill in the last couple of weeks- coldsores, sore throat, cold, mouth ulcers and last night I spent the night being sick. Had a duvet day today. I'm hoping I will get better soon- fed up with feeling so pants.

My bump is really heavy and looks a bit deflated at the bottom- I've seen that this could indicate a potential back to back shift. Will be spending most of my time from now on on my birthing ball.

Congratulations to Loveactually on your new baby and thanks for the birth story Mr_Knight.

Been offered a sweep next week at 39+6. It's 23rd Dec and i'm going to decline this one. 48 hours takes me to xmas day and I'd rather avoid a birth that day unless baby decides it wants to come then.

Welcome to any new people I've missed too :)
  • Timeflies
    Options
    Sorry you've been suffering shorty1978. Do you have another check up where you can tell if baby has gone back to back?

I'm surprised you've been offered a sweep on 23 Dec shorty1978, my midwife said they don't normally do sweeps or inductions that would bring Christmas babies, because they're understaffed.

I'm hoping baby either arrives earlier than Christmas or afterwards, but baby will decide! :j
  • Nicky_Noo_Na
    Options
    View - can I ask why you really rate an electric pump? I've only bought a cheap hand pump so far as I'm only planning on expressing once a day if that (so hubby can do the late evening feed if I'm particularly tired). Are you expressing a lot? Sorry if that's a bit personal to ask but hoping to get by without an electric one!

Sulphate - thanks for trying to check but you're probably right that it's best not to know! I'm thinking of getting a swaddle pod so hoping I don't really need sheets, I have a couple of fitted sheets for the mattress and was thinking a blanket for on top if they don't get on with the swaddling. Maybe a sheet or two would be a good idea though?

Shorty - hope you are feeling better really soon and manage to rest up before the big event! Good luck time flies too - not long for you both now!

You'll all be glad to know I managed to get my pampers nappies in the end lol! I've had a cheeky day off work today to try and rest up before my works Xmas do on Friday and went and got my hair done which was a nice treat. Now just 2 days left at work then the weekend then 2 more days and then I've got 10 days for Xmas - yey!

Hope everyone else is doing well, not long till more babies!
  • x_missymoo_x
    Options
    Hi all :hello: I'm taking the plunge and moving on up to this scary thread now that I'm 24 weeks pregnant :):o

I had a midwife appointment today and all is fine, I can't believe how quickly the time is passing. OH and I are so excited we really can't wait, but we are holding out until after christmas before we start buying the bigger items - so far we've only bought a few sets of baby clothes!

We are team yellow and due on the 7th April :) currently on the ipad so I'll have a read back through the thread to get to know you all better a bit later. I'll also add myself to the list then, unless someone else can do it for me before I get round to it that will be great :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure