🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Improving my credit file

Options

Comments

• fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 April 2014 at 7:28PM
    Options
    Just re-reading this letter from Cabot, and I've realised they are saying this is a Barclaycard.

I was assuming this entry on my credit file was to do with the Adams (Creation) card.

I did have a barclaycard opened around the same time, but I have no idea if it was paid off or not. I do remember making bank payments on it.

I have no idea what to do now.

Just looked at old bank statements, and it looks like the last payment made to this Barclaycard if May 2009. The card number is the same too.

So it looks like this is barclaycard (Not Creation).
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • happy_bunny_2
    happy_bunny_2 Posts: 4,488 Forumite
    Options
    fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    Just looking at old paperwork, I have found 2 x 'Default notice served in accordance with the provisions of S87(1)'. These are from Creation.
    One is is dated April 2007, the other June 2007!

Does this mean the default date should actually be 2007? or can the debt collectors alter the date?

If the default date is April 2007 and you never entered any arrangement, then I would say its that date, no later than a month after.
    :beer:
  • happy_bunny_2
    Options
    Ok I'm very confused.

Just re-reading this letter from Cabot, and I've realised they are saying this is a Barclaycard.

I was assuming this entry on my credit file was to do with the Adams (Creation) card I had, and I do remember I stopped paying after advice on this site in 2010 (they couldn't provide the credit agreement).

Now, I did have a barclaycard opened around the same time, but I have no idea if it was paid off or not. I do remember making bank payments on it.

I have no idea what to do now.

Just looked at old bank statements, and it looks like the last payment made to this Barclaycard if May 2009. The card number is the same too.

So it looks like this is barclaycard (Not Creation).

What did the letter say?

If the account was opened before April 2007, then send them a CCA request.
  • fuzzgun19
    Options
    What did the letter say?

If the account was opened before April 2007, then send them a CCA request.
    Sorry, I'd deleted the photo by accident - it's below.

The Barclaycard was opened 1998. I did have an arrangement with Barclaycard, but I think I stopped paying in 2010, can't remember why.

IMG_3678.jpg

Could you suggest a next step, or is there nothing I can do until it drops off my file in 2yrs?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • happy_bunny_2
    Options
    Tricky one.

If they send you a default notice, then you set up an arrangement it's quite often marked on your file as arrangement to pay. Then, if you stop paying, they default you at the current date. Despite it being intended for 6 months, they just renew it.

You could complain the default is unfair and enclose a copy of your default notice. A new complaint. You don't have anything to lose I guess. That would restart the 6 year SB clock.

As for paying it, CCA request on a debt that old. Slim chance of having it...
  • fuzzgun19
    edited 4 April 2014 at 7:24PM
    Options
    I don't have a default notice though.. if Barclaycard did send one, it will have gone to an old address.

Sorry, I don't think my ramblings today have been clear. This default on my file is to do with a Barclaycard (Not Creation as I originally thought - the default notice I found was for Creation).
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • happy_bunny_2
    Options
    I don't have a default notice though.. if Barclaycard did send one, it will have gone to an old address.

Sorry, I don't think my ramblings today have been clear. This default on my file is to do with a Barclaycard (Not Creation as I originally thought - the default notice I found was for Creation).

Ah, ok.

I guess you don't know the history of the BC account, which might be tricky.

You could try a complaint about the default date. You have any idea when you started the arrangement with Barclaycard?

You could demand a statement of account showing the historic balance, stating you believe it should be less than it is. Might gain some useful info from that.

Only other option is a SAR to Barclaycard.
  • fuzzgun19
    Options
    The arrangement was started in 2001, and payments stopped in 2010.

It wouldn't surprise me if they started to call (if they find my number) and send letters asking me to pay it, which I couldn't afford to do even if I wanted to.
    I assume I will just have to keep sending CCA letters to them.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • happy_bunny_2
    Options
    Ok.

Send a complaint, in writing, stating that the use of arrangement markers for such a long period is unacceptable and state that a default should have been filed long before 2010. Nothing to lose.

Next time they write asking for payment, send a CCA request.

If they keep asking for payment without providing it, just state you won't discuss payment until they produce it.

Without it, they can't make you pay.
  • fuzzgun19
    Options
    Cabot have not been reporting an arrangement, they have been reporting 'D' Default.

I just logged into Noddle again and they have changed the default amount to £823 (was £132), and they have changed the address to my current one.

cabotdf1.jpg
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills