Improving my credit file

Options
fuzzgun19
fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 25 January 2014 at 9:15PM in Credit file & ratings
I'd like to try to improve mine and DH's credit file.

Myself and DH have not used credit cards for a number (10+) of years now (after getting into trouble with them).

I have signed us both up with Noddle to see our credit files. DH's score was 3/5, and mine 1/5.

The only debt we have now is car finance (in my name, always paid on time), and about £90 on a catalogue.

I have noticed in the electrol roll section that there's no details for either of us even though we did fill in and send off one of those electrol roll forms the council send you a few months ago... so I don't know why it's saying no info.

DH's file seems to be ok, no late payments showing or defaults.

Mine seems ok apart from about 4 '1 month late' notes on the catalogue over the last couple of years.
There is one thing on mine though - a default and a balance of £130 - I don't know what it is though.. it's 'Cabot Financial' Looks like a credit card taken out 1998.
Now to my knowlege I've never had dealings with Cabot.. DH has though. He had a credit card taken about that time, and when we got into trouble early 00's it went to Cabot, then was paid off (got proof) c2007.

Is there a chance it could be this.. but then why would it be on my file, if it was DH's debt?
I Hate Jobsworths!!!

Comments

• WifeandMummy
    Options
    I am in the process of doing the same thing and found a default on my OH's account that he knew nothing about from Santander so we have written to them to ask for full details of the account / default or that they remove it, they responded saying they didn't have anything on it either so asked for further details from us i.e. a copy of the credit file where it shows the default. Could you maybe do the same and query it? Also my OH doesn't show in the electoral roll either, no idea why as mine does and he is definitely registered?

I have been improving my credit rating through a bad credit credit card that I got from capital one, I put diesel in my car every month and pay it in full and I can see the positive difference it is making to my credit rating. Plan is to make a start on OH's soon as his noddle score is 1/5

Good Luck xx

PS, there is a pre eligibility checked on here that gives you an idea of how likely you are to be accepted for a card, its worth a look as it doesn't affect your credit rating and it allows you to decide which card may be best and whether or not to apply xx
    DEBT FREE BY CHRISTMAS 2015 - #018
    £204.38 / £11,360.14 1.8%

SEALED POT CHALLENGE - #33
  • fuzzgun19
    Options
    Thanks wifeandmummy. What did you write.. did you use a template letter?

I have already put in a query to Noddle, but will do what you have suggested too.

I would like to get a CC to do the same as you, but the checker says I have 0% chance. :(
    I did try applying for an Aqua card around mid 2012, but they said no. I haven't applied for any cards since.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • WifeandMummy
    Options
    I tweeted Santander and asked for an address to query my credit rating and they provided me with one. I kinda used a prove it letter from the dfw forum but amended it to make it more appropriate.

Have you searched specifically for a bad credit credit card xx
    DEBT FREE BY CHRISTMAS 2015 - #018
    £204.38 / £11,360.14 1.8%

SEALED POT CHALLENGE - #33
  • happy_bunny_2
    Options
    Write a complaint to Cabot, including a copy of the entry on your credit report.

State that you have no knowledge of the debt and insist they remove the entry from your credit report.

That's it really, no template necessary. If they ignore you or refuse, refer to FOS.

What's the default date?

If it's your OHs, should not be on your report...
    :beer:
  • fuzzgun19
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.

After racking my brains last night trying to think of cards I may have had at that time, I think I know what it is. I had an Adams store card (Creation) taken out about that time. I posted on here for advice about the account here.

They could not provide a signed credit agreement, so I was not obliged to pay the debt. Looks like it must have been sold to Cabot.

Does anyone know how to move forward with this and is it possible to get this default removed from my credit file?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • happy_bunny_2
    happy_bunny_2 Posts: 4,488 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2014 at 12:50PM
    Options
    What's the default date?

When did you last acknowledge the debt in writing?
  • fuzzgun19
    edited 26 January 2014 at 12:35PM
    Options
    What's the default date?

When did you mast acknowledge the debt in writing?
    Here is the credit file entry, Default date Sept 2010.

rljz.jpg

I may have last acknowledged the debt in April 2009 (not 100% on this), as going by that old thread, that is when I was asking about freezing interest, then discovered they couldn't provide the CCA.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • happy_bunny_2
    Options
    I skimmed your linked thread,

As long as the default date is correct, which it looks like it is(?), then I think you are stuck with this.

Interestingly, the entry you posted below shows a balance of £132. So you have been paying? Or was the balance from 2009?

I think your choices are:
    1. Pay it, ask nicely to remove/backdate the default a bit.
    2. forget about it until its statute barred.

No CCA=no CCJ if defended. Just make sure they have an up to date address for you.

HB
  • fuzzgun19
    Options
    Thanks Happy_bunny.

I have not paid anything off it since about early 2009 (I think), I don't know where the £132 figure has come from. The balance from about 2011 was £400 odd ( I have dug out some letters from 'Lowells' whom I assume the debt was sold to).

How long would I have to wait until it's statute barred is it 6 years, and from which date would it be from?

They also do not have an up to date address, I didn't tell them I'd moved, as last time they hounded me with phone calls/letters.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • happy_bunny_2
    Options
    Statute barred is 6 years from the last payment or when you acknowledged the debt in writing. The latter of the 2.

If they don't have your address, they can get a CCJ at any point until statute barred. Not sure I'd risk it for that amount, as long as you can pay it.

What I would do, is send them the prove it letter, along with your credit report entry, sayiing you do not acknowledge this debt and want it removing. I would list your old and new address. Get proof of posting. This does not acknowledge the debt.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247

As the balance does not add up, you can't be sure its the same account.

That way, at least you should get notice of any court papers and defend it.

Don't give them your phone number, obviously :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport