We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheap Heating Oil guide discussion

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper 10 Posts
    BoilerJuice is handy to get a benchmark price, but you'll almost always get cheaper by phoning around local companies. There's always room for haggling as well - the one and only time that BJ gave me the cheapest quote, one of the local companies then beat it when I told them. The conversation usually goes something like :

Them : "Our price today is 58 ppl"
    Me : "OK, thanks, I've already had a cheaper quoute than that"
    Them : "Who was it it, and how much ?"
    Me : "Bloggs & Co. offered me 57 ppl"
    Them : "OK, we'll give you 56.5 ppl"
    Me : "Ta very much" :-)
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier Car Insurance Carver! First Post First Anniversary
    I usually buy via "the oil club", just search in google. You are linked to the nearest oil club in your area and they email every month with the latest price. The last time I bought I had a flyer from a local company with a discount so rang local company and they were prepared to undercut the oil club and give me the discount. Wished I'd waited though as now the price has dropped to under 50pl !
  • gamston
    gamston Posts: 693 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary
    had to fill my tank last week, had to pay 51ppl
    phoned round as normal, found that Butler fuels would give me that price, rest all higher
    next time I'll try woldlink, as earlier post (live on Notts/Lincoln area
  • borkid wrote: »
    I usually buy via "the oil club", just search in google. You are linked to the nearest oil club in your area and they email every month with the latest price. The last time I bought I had a flyer from a local company with a discount so rang local company and they were prepared to undercut the oil club and give me the discount. Wished I'd waited though as now the price has dropped to under 50pl !

I've started using my local "the oil club" and saved £22 on 500 litres over Boilerjuice last time. :T
  • With regards to the article about Craggs Energy I just wanted to say that I work for a fuel company in Worcestershire who supply heating oil in a 30 mile radius from our three depots. We have, for the last 4 years, offered our customers a Capped price which is obviously far better than fixed as if the spot price falls below the Capped price then the customer never loses out. I just wanted to point this out as the article seemed to suggest that nothing like the Craggs Energy deal had been offered before to oil users.
  • Smiley_Dan
    Smiley_Dan Posts: 948 Forumite
    Interestingly, just recently I've found Boilerjuice cheaper than ringing around, a reversal of previous experience.

49.9p, ordered yesterday for 900l, East Midlands.
  • I find the best way is to set up a heating oil buying group. I don't think there is much point in trucks coming to you and your neighbours when you can bulk buy together. This helps save a bit of money not a great deal but any saving is better than none.

I have used boilerjuice in the past for prices but they never seem to be the cheapest out their usually local heating companies will be the cheapest.

I personally contact our local heating oil company after speaking with a few of my neighbours and found a great deal from crown oil who are based in Bury.

I would recommend giving them a try if you are in or around the Manchester / Bury area:
  • This is the second time I have used Woldlink now and again they were the cheapest for my area (North Thoresby Lincolnshire) this time it was a Butlers lorry that turned up last time it was Watsons. They seem to act as a superbuying group and quote one price what ever the quantity ordered. Deffo worth a try if you are looking for heating oil in Lincolnshire.

Quick delivery as well standard lead time of only 3 days. Contact number is 01507 605230. Paid 46.99ppl on 500L on the 24th of September
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    This is the second time I have used Woldlink now and again they were the cheapest for my area (North Thoresby Lincolnshire) this time it was a Butlers lorry that turned up last time it was Watsons. They seem to act as a superbuying group and quote one price what ever the quantity ordered. Deffo worth a try if you are looking for heating oil in Lincolnshire.

Quick delivery as well standard lead time of only 3 days. Contact number is 01507 605230. Paid 46.99ppl on 500L on the 24th of September

I have had a look at their web site, but they appear to supply agricultural company premises only.

Are you a residential oil user? The price you quoted is very competitive.
  • iris wrote: »
    I have had a look at their web site, but they appear to supply agricultural company premises only.

Are you a residential oil user? The price you quoted is very competitive.

They are an Agricultural buying group but they are open to all of the rural community including residential properties. As a metter of interest brother in law ordered this morning at 47.49 ppl for property LN9 , Boilerjuice are 49.15ppl so still quite competitive.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.