PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Singlies - We Do It Our Way!

Options

Comments

• 3forholidays
    3forholidays Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks BW! Hope you had a enjoyable time during the festive season.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,466 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks 3forholidays :) I had a good Christmas ... sadly back at work soon afterwards but I suppose it keeps me out of mischief ;) I always find that whatever time off you have...it never seems enough :p
  • 3forholidays
    Options
    BookWorm wrote: »
    Thanks 3forholidays :) I had a good Christmas ... sadly back at work soon afterwards but I suppose it keeps me out of mischief ;) I always find that whatever time off you have...it never seems enough :p

I was off for 11 days straight for the first time in a number of years. Would love to have a permanent holiday but major problem with that idea is I've got a mortgage to pay! :D

Och well...just need to win big on the lottery...but I can't do that if I don't buy a ticket! :rotfl:

Nothing else for it .... I'll have to go back to work on Monday.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • BookWorm
    Options
    Well I bought a ticket... and still didn't win :rotfl:so back to work for me tomorrow too :p
  • KirstyO
    KirstyO Posts: 287 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm new in these parts. I've been on DFW board for a while and dabbled in MFW.

I'm here as a Singlie just starting out in my first house of my own and wanting to pick up some hints and tips for money saving and cutting costs.

Until now I've always lived in a shared house, which has meant less than desirable shared kitchens, so I've never really cooked for myself out of habit. I've either relied on convenience food (which all tastes the same) or take outs (which are horrifically unhealthy for me AND my bank balance.

A big wish of mine is to start cooking from scratch to save ££'s and lbs as well as learn new things like DIY. Through being a DFW I've learned a lot of money tips in theory but now I guess is crunch time for putting them into practice.

By the end of the year I'd like my bank balance to be up a bit, and my weight to be down a LOT, but I struggle for motivation in both areas. Even though I know I need money put away for emergencies and worst case scenarios, and even though I know I will be healthier and feel better about my appearance if I lose weight, this doesn't seem to be enough. I feel more motivated when I'm in the midst of doing these things and it's going well....which is good once I get started! It's the starting that's the problem!

A bit more about me...I'm 29 (30 this year *gulp*) and just wanting to enjoy life without complicated things getting in the way!
    Debt free on 2nd January 2015
    Next savings goals:
    £5k emergency fund
    £4k holiday of a lifetime fund
  • dND
    dND Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome KirstyO, I'm sure you will find a lot of help here - it's a very diverse bunch :) When you are on your own, it is the motivation that seems to go as there is no one to cajole you, confide in or support you......but here there is. :D
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • domino3
    Options
    Hello all,

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I've had a good read through the 269 posts:eek: (I clearly need to get out more!) I'm a singlie too (albeit with 3 small boys) and still learning that it's ok to be on my own. I must admit I'm really enjoying it after my last relationship was chaotic to say the least! Now with the boys, a full time job (plus extra when I need the money) and uni I don't know how I'd find the time for another relationship! I love the 'benefits to being a singlie' posts and can related to many of them especially being able to make my own decisions :T
  • BookWorm
    Options
    Morning Peeps - hope you are all ok?

Welcome to KirtyO and domino3 :)

Has anyone else had snow this week? It's only really been a dusting in this part of the world... but that's enough for me! None this morning but a very heavy frost. It would normally be a good excuse for an 'indoors day' but I'm meeting a friend for lunch today... so will have to brave the outdoors... brrrr :p

BW
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I was ready to go out (have a £2 off if you spend £12 from £land ending tomorrow and they have the coir block compost which was so useful 2 years ago) but there is white stuff falling and ice on the ground so staying home.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Hayleypoppins
    Options
    Hi everyone hope you are all well, I survived my first christmas as a 'singlie' by keeping busy and visiting lots of family and friends, been on my own for 9 months now and gradually getting used to it but after 28 years with someone it's hard. I work 3 days a week and my kids both have a long term medical condition so that keeps me busy,off to UCHL on monday with my daughter for a heart scan and 24hr ECG then Stanmore hospital on friday. I tried internet dating last month and met up with a nice man for a coffee but decided it's not for me and deleted my profile, think it was something I just had to do to get out of my system lol.
    Today I have changed gas/ele supplier and saved £10 a month and downgraded my TV package and saved another £12 a month, I am starting to get a little worried about the summer because this is when my son will leave school and I will loose my tax credits, maintenance payments and child benefit it's going to be a lot of money to lose in one go and I can't increase my work hours as we have weekly hospital appointments and physio. Trying not to worry too much as that won't help and it will be a case of having to survive anyway! And this site has certainly been really helpful x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure