PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Singlies - We Do It Our Way!

Options

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So sorry mum2one.I hope your Dad can be kept as comfy as possible, for the time he has left xxxx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Thank h all, means a lot, touch wood he's going ok ok at the mo, been dressed and downstairs had oxo cube in drink, milk and he tried 2 crackers.

Dd had a p d day so took her shopping, got a new quilt cover for her bed, she lives campervan - popped to kfc

Feels ironic my passport came throu 2day, we were so worried we had left it late, and came back with 10 days....
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi there! I've been reading this lovely thread from the beginning but realised it's going to take a few weeks to get through to the end, so I've jumped in here and hope to meet in the middle at some point. I'm just about to be single, after 27 years married. It's not what I want and certainly not what I had planned for. In particular, I still have what I would call a 'second income' job - I earn £11k p.a. doing 30 hours per week in a school. This doesn't seem enough to live on. Or is it? I will be living alone most of the time, apart from when DS is home from Uni. I am hoping not to have a mortgage. Can anyone advise me please? And any tips? I am going to see the solicitor tomorrow to find out about the process of getting divorced. It all seems horrifying. I have good friends and a supportive family but no one who has recently gone through this.

Any thoughts welcome. Thank you! PQx

Hi PQ
    Sounds like we are in a similar situation, 24 years married and stbx husband left at the start of 2015, like you I work 30 hours a week in a school and DD is at Uni.
    Getting Council Tax sorted out was the biggest headache and I found I was eligible for WTC, not much but 'every little helps'. DD received extra student loan/grant as that was recalculated based on my sole income, which definitely took the pressure off.
    After an initial discussion with solicitor I did all the divorce paperwork myself to save on legal costs, just using solicitor to do the consent order.
    Feel free to PM me if you would like to chat more :)
    Jackie
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • mrssnowy_2
    mrssnowy_2 Posts: 403 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Just need someone to talk to please.
    I feel so stupid saying this ,I have been invited to a social event at the weekend by a man I have known for years.Only as a friend as he can take a guest. The nearer the time gets the more nervous I am.
    My problem is ,how do I tell my children-all grown up(oldest 40 this year) and live away with their own families?
    My DH died nearly 2 years ago,I really miss him.
    I am blessed with a wide group of female friends that I always do things with,but it is strangely comforting and flattering to have male company.
    I think the children will be OK but I feel as stupid as if I was telling my parents about a first boyfriend!!
    I live in a small town ,and the being talked about doesn't bother me-it will be nothing illegal,but you know what wagging tongues are like !!
    Think I will have to do it all my usual way -head up,shoulders back and meet it head on,it doesn't feel wrong but would hate to upset them.
    Thank you for listening
    mrss
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mrssnowy - I would look on it as an old and good friend inviting you out . Only people who have nothing better to do will see it in another way . At the end of the day people who put their own construction on a normal event are to be ignored . Enjoy your evening .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mrssnowy - I would look on it as an old and good friend inviting you out . Only people who have nothing better to do will see it in another way . At the end of the day people who put their own construction on a normal event are to be ignored . Enjoy your evening .
    polly

Brilliant advice hun :) Now just go n enjoy it MRSSNOWY :)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • mrssnowy_2
    mrssnowy_2 Posts: 403 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks,it was what my sensible head had told me -but you know what its like!
    doh
    mrss
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    polly

I couldn't have said it better myself xx
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Where is everyone hiding, things have been up and down, but generally having good days, so trying to make the most of things.

One more day at school for DD then Easter, hopefully start spring cleaning....
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hello everyone,

I've not posted on here for a couple of years - just life getting in the way really.

Where is lavenderbees, having started the thread initially?

mumtoone, I reall admire your strength with all you have to deal with.

:A
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure