PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you OS and everyone - Merged

Options

Comments

• MinnieSpender
    MinnieSpender Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Melabarrie.

I bought my slow cooker last week. So far I've made soup, curry and chilli in it. When it's not in use I just sit and look at it because I love it so much. I know we're still in the honeymoon period, but I honestly think it's The One.
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Melabarrie.

I bought my slow cooker last week. So far I've made soup, curry and chilli in it. When it's not in use I just sit and look at it because I love it so much. I know we're still in the honeymoon period, but I honestly think it's The One.

That is very very sad. :D I expect you'll be giving it a name soon. I love my slow cooker too, obviously not as much as Minnie ;) but I find they are great. Love microfibre cloths but can't get Stardrops here. [IMG]http://smileys.!!!!!!/cat/15/15_5_6.gif[/IMG] Welcome to OS.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• MinnieSpender
    MinnieSpender Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    Options
    AussieLass wrote:
    That is very very sad. :D I expect you'll be giving it a name soon. I love my slow cooker too, obviously not as much as Minnie ;) but I find they are great. Love microfibre cloths but can't get Stardrops here. [IMG]http://smileys.!!!!!!/cat/15/15_5_6.gif[/IMG] Welcome to OS.

Whaddya mean, will be? My slow cooker is called Sanchez. When he gets all sweaty from working so hard, I give him a rub down with Mildred the Microfibre Cloth.

:rotfl:
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    AussieLass wrote:
    That is very very sad. :D I expect you'll be giving it a name soon. I love my slow cooker too, obviously not as much as Minnie ;) but I find they are great.

Funny you should say that mine is called 'Ebenezer' as it saves me bundles of cash :rotfl: :rotfl: I really am sad aren't I ?
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JackieO wrote:
    AussieLass wrote:
    That is very very sad. :D I expect you'll be giving it a name soon. I love my slow cooker too, obviously not as much as Minnie ;) but I find they are great.

Funny you should say that mine is called 'Ebenezer' as it saves me bundles of cash :rotfl: :rotfl: I really am sad aren't I ?

Yes :DGoes and puts thinking cap on to think of a name for slow cooker. :rolleyes:
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'll need to find 2 names then :confused:
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • 1sttimer_2
    1sttimer_2 Posts: 728 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome Melabarrie - I often 'pop' in here and find so many good ideas.

I have a slow cooker but don't use it often as we are vegetarian and apart from soups I don't find many other uses for it.
    Love my microfibre cloths - not yet tried stardrops
    Like the Soap nuts for coloured washes - don't find it too good on whites though.
    Use White vinegar for lots of things
    I'm sure there is many more but the above is the most recent for me.

I'm sure you will find loads of good ideas too!
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth-unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar." - Jerome K Jerome
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    melabarrie wrote:
    I don't yet have a bread maker (but i do make bread often so maybe i won't bother with that), ..... don't have a slow cooker (can't figure out the money savings benefit of having one yet ...

:hello: Welcome melabarrie :):):)

I tend to use my slow cooker much more in warmer weather than in the colder months simply because my kitchen is really small and in the warmer weather, to have the cooker on is just too much heat!! The same is also true with the bread machine.

I have a large SC so I can also make good use of the glut of farm shop goodies to batch cook and freeze if/when necessary. In those ways, I find it more economical than using the oven.

Yet, in the winter months, the oven wins over the SC because it helps to keep the coldest corner of the house warm and I can utilise all three shelves in the oven.

It's very much horses for courses really.

In £-shops you can pick up microfibre cloths in lovely vibrant orange, deep pink and other colours - so I use a different colour for different rooms (the orange is definately the bathroom cloth and not to be confused with the blue kitchen cloth! :laugh:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Melabarrie - Welcome to OS

One of the things I use the SC for is to cook meat, for example on Sunday I put a turkey breast roast in, with some apple juice & sliced lemon, sprinkled with a little black pepper & dried garlic. When we got home from church, the turkey was cooked beautifully, not too dry - just had to do some new potatoes & veg to go with it: easy!

Microfibre cloths: I have bought mine from Aldi, they do a pack of 2. One is the ordinary sort, the other one is kind of velvety, great for cleaning things like computer & TV screens. I think they are about £1.79 for the 2, about that price, anyway.
  • leni
    leni Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    whilst just browsing MSOS, and trying to write my shopping list, I decided to actually see what was in my cupboards, fridge and freezer - the result - :eek:

I don't hardly need to go shopping this week! and I though we had "nothing in"

We have...

Fajita Dinner Kit
    2 part-baked bread rolls
    Riscotto Rice
    Pearl Barley - (what do I do with this???:confused: )
    Macaroni - again what can I do with it? :confused:
    Brown rice
    pasta twists
    2 packets of dried lasagne sheets
    LOADS of paxo stuffing mix - any ideas what to do with it other than making stuffing?
    2 tins mushy pea's
    chopped toms
    baked beans
    2 tins fruit cocktail
    2 tins rice pudding
    tin sweetcorn
    Shepherd's Pir sauce mix
    creamy pepper and mushrooms sauce
    plain pasta sauce
    red and white lasagne sauces
    chilli con carne mix
    3 packets of custard powder - can I make anything other than custard? trifle - how?
    beef and ale casserole mix
    farmhouse veg soup mix
    beef stroganoff mix
    beef casserole mix

In the freezer

2 birds eye roast beef in gravy (from the Tesco club card promo last year :T )
    WeightWatchers Beef Hot Pot
    2 Asda Chicken Tikka Masala frozen meals
    2 half size ham and pineapple pizza's
    2 packs of lean mince
    8 thick pork sausages
    6 beef burgers
    3 fish fingers
    1 chicken burger
    4 frozen samosa's
    6 chinese style chicken drumsticks
    8 irish sauages
    Frozen chips
    2 pieces of Haddock
    Turkey Mince
    2 processed stir fry's
    4 half size corn on the cobs
    bacon
    frozen pea's!

:rotfl: and I thought I had nothing in!

Any idea's for what I can makes? I also have carrots, onions, potatoes, beetroot, spring onions, margerine, half a loaf, eggs, cereals, flours, sugar

what would be your meal plan if you had all the above? and could spare £10 for extra's?

DEBT FREE for the first time in 10 years and with savings!

1st Baby due May 2011 :o it's a BOY:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport