PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

2014 decluttering thread (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Belfastgirl the key is good pictures and descriptions to selling things and be sensible about the price and posting. Also see what others are charging for the same or similar items.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Mamacandoit
    Options
    Hello!
    May I join you pls?
    I've printed off 365 days of 15min decluttering tasks!
    Each day I'll cross off that days date after I've done that task.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out!
  • cat04
    cat04 Posts: 644 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 5 January 2014 at 10:48PM
    Options
    Not much for today as we've been out/busy but I have got rid of

2 x items of clothing to add to the clothes for cash bag
    4 x Christmas catalogues to the recycle bin (I know there are more somewhere!)
    1 x cracked mug binned
    1 x used up toiletry binned (non-recyclable which isn't a bad thing as it's rammed full until Tuesday's collection anyway!)

Sure there's something else but can't remember what! Roll on Tuesday when the girls are back at school and I can sort, tidy, clean and declutter in peace :)
    Extra savings aim for 2020 £4,000 £0/£4,000
    Original MF date Feb 2025. Currently Feb 2030:eek: Aiming for Jan 2025 :T
    Mortgage at [STRIKE]10/19 - £47,200[/STRIKE] 11/19 - £46,615
    :heart:My girls keep me going:heart:
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Options
    Locally we have a large number of Facebook groups for buying and selling, no fees, no bidding and local buyers so no money spent on postage. It might be worth looking to see if you have similar belfastgirl?
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There's a handy 2-page article on decluttering in February's Woman & Home magazine. I couldn't find it online, but did come across this gem of an article which ruthlessly tells you how to declutter shoes.

I'd need a few drinks before attempting it :D;)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 January 2014 at 11:22PM
    Options
    Okay, another decluttering question from me....a lot of my clutter is in the form of boxes for delicate electrical goods, should I need to transport them elsewhere (like a new home). Is this a good enough reason to hang on to them?

Also, how do I get rid of dead electricals? I can't help but think all that metal (or the plugs, at least) could be recycled somehow but am not going to the trouble of visiting my local tip.

And am I the only one who can't bear to get rid of journals, even though I know the content is fully available online? Tacking these 3 things would free up a great deal of space.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our local council now (within the last year) take dead small electrical appliances, so check on your councils website to see if this has changed.

Re the boxes - how delicate are the electrical items? If they are out of warranty, I'd bin them, but maybe take pictures first if you do not have the receipts - as in the event of an insurance claim, eg fire or burglary, boxes are often proof that you had the item. (Sad I know - but some insurance fraudsters would actually buy the empty boxes to claim for electrical goods they had never had).

Go careful when you put the empty electrical boxes outside - at this time of year especially, would be burglars will actually go around and see who has had a new TV, laptop, games consul etc. solely from the boxes outside.

What type of journals are they? I'd keep, as much easier to have a hand held booklet for reference any time.
  • somerandom
    Options
    I've had a really productive day - taken down & put away the Xmas Decorations. Cleaned and tidied the house. Put away the vast piles of clean laundry that was all over the house. Fixed a rickety drain pipe.

As far as actual decluttering is concerned.

Out

1. paid in a Xmas Cheque
    2. cashed up loose change collection.
    3. Wheelie bin full of recycling
    4. Book - CS
    5&6 2 X costume jewellery - CS
    7 Football boots - CS
    8 Shin pads - CS
    9-12 4 X old note pads
    13-14 2 x dvd - CS
    15 - statue
    16-17 - 2x Broken Xmas decoration - bin
    18 - Xmas cracker contents - CS
    19 - paid in DS's Xmas cheques
    20. Returned boots - tk maxx

In

1. Strapless bra
    2-4 2 x cardigan - CS
    5- 6 - 2X top - CS (likely that I will give one away)
    7 - Mohair shawl - CS
    8. Watch (my present to myself in the sales)
    9. Boots - CS

Sad to say I was a bit over-excited at the Charity Shops being open again - hence the higher than usual quantity of stuff I bought - at least 4 of the above items were not good buys (- even though they were very cheap). I want to get my buying habits back under control again although its likely I will find it a challenge this week as I'm specifically going out CS shopping on Friday to an area where I've heard the CSs are excellent
    Shifting my energy for 2020 :heart::heart::heart:
  • flyingmamma
    Options
    Painter finished and I have gutted the lounge.. For the first time we have a minimalist lounge...remaining items.... 2 sofas ... 3 cushions... 2 side tables a lamp, a tv on the wall and a rug , 3 pictures on the wall and a toy box! Well chuffed:) I am not bringing anything else in!! Got the car loaded for CS and the dump tomor on the way back from school run as I'm off work! Under my bed has become a real clutter zone bags of this that and the other! That's my next target zone! I have a box of 10 purses... They are my weakness I love to change them every few weeks...might declutter them down to 5!
    No more toys til Xmas 2022 , mfw 2023 challenge , Trying to not waste food , time or money and appreciate the moment more!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've had a really good weekend decluttering and my count is currently 119 items out. Wondering if I can manage 300 in January ...
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills