PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2014 decluttering thread (part 3)

Options

Comments

• flowerofscotland
    Options
    Thanks for sorting out the new thread Have subscribed which made me think I should de clutter my subscriptions as some of them are completely pit of date now :D

Yesterday was taking down decorations so not much time for de cluttering. But am keeping up with the at least 1 item per day goal. Also bag dropped off at CS

7. 2 half used bottles of sauce well past their best. Note to self - buy small bottles In future as we don't use it often
    8. Very old container of vitamins lurking at the back of kitchen cabinet - only saw them because I had the step ladder out
    9. Assorted pens and highlighters that have run dry - binned

When I put the decs into the loft today I intend to bring down some bags and boxes to be sorted out

I agree that it is much easier to see clutter in other peoples' homes /offices /desks but I'm a long way away for being able to allow someone else to de clutter my stuff :D

Hope everyone has a pleasant Sunday
  • seabright
    seabright Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I ruthlessly de-cluttered half a box of malteasers last night - good progress, right?
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    30 items listed on eBay yesterday. Cleared out two units at the antique centre where I sell, cabinets sold and majority of stock relocated to my other units. I have a car full of stuff for sorting today. There will be three piles, one for listing on eBay, one for the charity shop and another for the tip

Managed to achieve more in the past couple of weeks than I did all last year :T
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • MalhamCat
    Options
    Sally_A wrote: »
    I use old tights to tie tomato plants onto the supporting stick, they are softer than wire so don't dig into the stem.

Also good for storing onions.

Onions! Brilliant idea, thanks very much! :) Will bear tights in mind too if I have a garden/allotment in the future, I would never have thought of that!

Have finished decluttering tights/socks etc drawer now, should really make a start on unworn clothes next...
    Sealed Pot Challenge (No.7): 208

Roadkill rebel: 70
    115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Options
    I woke up with lots of energy ready to declutter.:A

I am going to be ruthless and chuck away stuff I really don't need and can't be recycled.

I have binned some out of date medications and stuff from the first aid drawer.

Binned the end of a tub of cream which wasn't needed.

Used up the last of the hand wash in the bath and recycled the container.

Used the end of my bottle of hair conditioner as fabric conditioner in the washing machine and recycled the container.

Chucked away some tat, a tiny little bag that was by the front door?! It was completely useless.:rotfl:

Chucked away some very old eye shadows, they are probably toxic by now.

Binned a Christmas present bag as I'm not keeping it to reuse for Christmas 2014.:D
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
  • jetplane
    jetplane Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I stumbled upon this thread while procrastinating over tackling some of my clutter :rotfl:

We have a big house and somehow have accumulated other peoples stuff as well as our own. Stuff also accumulates in the cars and we are always threatening to "sort the loft". This morning I was thinking I might commit to one room at a time.

Although not a hoarder I do keep things just incase and even when I find something that I forgot I had, I think oh well I might use it now I've found it :cool: yeh right. I'm sure there's a rule if you haven't used it for how many years then get rid?

I intend to start in the sideboard, what do you do with ten years worth of mobile phone chargers, wires and leads? I will let you know how I get on :o
    The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed. Steve Biko
  • lola34
    lola34 Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    Options
    I have decluttered the Christmas tree this morning - it's sat outside waiting for Wednesday when it will be collected to be recycled.

Currently sat on the table in the hall is a CB that I am planning on filling this afternoon ready to be collected in the morning.

In the kitchen is a box to be sent off to Music Magpie - don't get much for it but a little bit extra going through a cashback website

2 sweet tubs in the recycling and still have my old bike by the back door waiting for the rag and bone man to come round, how come they never appear when you are waiting for them??
  • TheDoolallyDilly
    Options
    jetplane wrote: »

... even when I find something that I forgot I had, I think oh well I might use it now I've found it :cool: yeh right.

I do that :o Not a hoarder, or even particularly cluttered, but I get into the mindset that I've had something for years (like that means I should keep it, unused, for more years) and that it's 'perfectly good' (so perfect that I never actually use it :rotfl:). Enough. I've been reading some minimalist or rather minimalist-leaning blogs, and feel all inspired :cool:

So far today:-

33. Jeans (too big :j) - CS bag
    34. Old tatty glasses case - bin
    35. Lipgloss - had for years :o it never suited me - bin
    36. Blusher - that had gone all weird - bin
    37. Lipliner - had for years and years - bin
    38 and 39. books - CS bag
    41-43. Old fashion jewellery - CS bag
    44. Scented candle, partly used, hate the smell of it -bin
    Enjoying the power and freedom of letting things go.

Decluttering - January 2024 - 89 physical objects, over 700 emails/digital decluttering 🎊 🏅🏅
  • Baileysonice
    Options
    Sally_A wrote: »
    OK chaps.....I'm going to look in the "pit of no return".

Unsure of what I'll find (Narnia possibly) - but thought it best to leave a note which is timed and dated, just in case........................

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: great post i have many Narnia areas in my house too best get my snow boots out :)
    Never got to the dresser cupboard :o (today, I am sure I will tomorrow), but ...

32. Game sold on Amazon posted today

Love reading everyone's lists of decluttered items :D

sounds familiar. I never got to the airing cupboard either but now I wonder if Mr Tumnus is behind the tank I may go in :D
    jetplane wrote: »
    I stumbled upon this thread while procrastinating over tackling some of my clutter :rotfl:

We have a big house and somehow have accumulated other peoples stuff as well as our own. Stuff also accumulates in the cars and we are always threatening to "sort the loft". This morning I was thinking I might commit to one room at a time.

Although not a hoarder I do keep things just incase and even when I find something that I forgot I had, I think oh well I might use it now I've found it :cool: yeh right. I'm sure there's a rule if you haven't used it for how many years then get rid?

I intend to start in the sideboard, what do you do with ten years worth of mobile phone chargers, wires and leads? I will let you know how I get on :o

Oh I am the lead and charger queen. I did throw a load away a few days ago but I could still open a shop selling things that charge things but Im not entirely sure what :)

So today I have decluttered my veg box and made a soup which I cant really count in my 100 challenge so todays task is to get rid of at least 10 things to make a start. Please shoot me if it fails to materialise again :o
  • gloomgurlie
    Options
    Wooop! Shiny new thread is alive again! Thank you!

Onwards and upwards with my 100 items in Jan:

8&9: Two 2013 calendars - Recycled
    10: Card Making Job-Lot - Sold on eBay (yet to be posted)
    11: Tatty old stuffed dog football - stuffing pouring out of it and I have finally decided I've had enough of trying to stuff it back inside!!!
    12: Another L'occitane hand cream used up. Those little miniatures seems to be hiding everywhere!!!!
    2015 - I am determined to lose at least 3 stone in weight and I must pay off at least one of my credit cards...If I keep telling myself, I might start believing it!!! :D
    Save £2 a day for Xmas 2015 Challenge: £56/£730
    :dance: HAPPY NEW YEAR - HERE'S TO A GREAT 2015 FOR US ALL! :dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family