PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2014 decluttering thread (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I join please? :)

I am not a big hoarder or buyer of 'stuff' as I find it often brings as much hassle as pleasure. However I have now hit a stage where I want to go through absolutely everything in the house, loft and garage and only keep what I really do want/ use. My frugal side does hate paying for something to get rid of it later:o , so some support would be lovely.

I read on another thread a good tip about only doing things in 15 minute bursts. This would be ideal for me as I have an illness which makes me very tired on top of coping with a demanding job.

I am starting in DD's room with the aim of boxing it up completely into as few boxes as possible. She left home a couple of years ago and there is still quite a bit in the room, despite several declutters. She is doing a live in job, so doesn't have a lot of room. Everytime she comes home, so does more clutter :rotfl: I have decided that if I do a final declutter and box up, I will easily spot any [STRIKE]rubbish[/STRIKE] possessions that get left here.;) Then I can deal with them at the time.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 January 2014 at 4:43PM
    Options
    Wow a second pop in for today, cleared another kitchen cupboard of:

A family sized wok (2 of us and we don't like stir frys)
    A char griller (we don't like chargrilled!)
    A long glass sandwich plate (we don't eat sandwiches)
    15 rubber placemats from when we had a glass table
    A broken torch
    3 freezer bags (we only do online shops)
    A very large bowl that I only use when cooking for DH's family (I have another)
    A very large roaster that I also only use for DH's family (I have two more)

also fridge cleared of the last of the Xmas food.

I'm counting that as another 22 items so that's 67/100 for the month. Though I do need to get off my rear and actually get them to the CS!
  • Gaelen
    Gaelen Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments :) It is hard but i'm finding keeping busy helps which is where this comes in.

Glad to know i'm not the only one that feels that way about the link between clutter and mental wellbeing. Makes me feel like less of a weirdo!

I did my bookcase and half my cupboard today and as a result have a large bag of DVDs . As I don't have much space i'm looking to get rid of them before doing more. So currently looking to see what the best sites are like Musicmagpie etc to offload them quickly.
  • Gwendolyn
    Gwendolyn Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    I was doing well having found 2 DVDs and 2 books this morning but then a friend came over with a large back of quality age 6 clothes for my 4 year old. It will ber very useful but will need to be stored for 2 years based on the fact he's most definately just in age 4 clothes. However, she's a good friend and this can go in the loft. I've taken out 2 things I didn't like - is that decluttering whilst cluttering.
    Off to do another bookshelf. Yes I agree - clutter makes me very stressed and unhappy, I can cope with a lot more pressure and stress when the house is in a good state. My husband thinks I am mad as he can cope with anything.
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    After having been away for Christmas & New Year I have managed to:
    * Recycle the Christmas cards
    * Recycle last years' calendar
    * Hang up this years' calendar on the wall and will take the spare one to work
    * Written a list of the content of the freezer, some of this will be used up in January.

:hello: Good to see some familiar names from last year's thread coming back again.

Good luck to everyone with this challenge
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OK, I've read this thread and I'd like to join please.
    I usually post on the Messy thread but I am getting a bit annoyed at how FULL of STUFF my house is.
    I'm going to ask my boss when I get back next Tuesday, if I can work a 4 day week til end of March (was supposed to declutter the house over summer but got offered a full time job after 18 months off so jumped at the chance, just had contract renewed for another 6 months so won't be til July til I get some time off...) then I have a day to do the conservatory and shed and be able to drop off stuff at the chairty shop either on my way to work on Thursday morning or on Wednesdays as a special trip.
    So far since 30 December, I have:
    sorted through DS#1 (13) room and chucked loads of broken stuff, and cardboard boxes - I didn't count them up but had to break out the second recycling wheelie bin even after I broke up the boxes.
    sorted out DS#2 (9) room and chucked the broken stuff and decluttered his room as well.
    but this was only so that they have room to put their xmas stashes away.
    I have also chucked out a load of charity shop bags and have carrier bags to return to the supermarket on Monday.
    I also chucked out a box that had contained my broken (in 2012) slow cooker, from the cupboard that houses charity shop bags .
    I am also 'decluttering' the freezer of food so I can defrost it (does that count?)
    I'm getting there I'm unlikely to do a sig though as I forgot how...
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • highlandlady72
    Options
    Got rid of some make-up I found. Haven't worn any in over a year
    2 x mascaras
    2 x lipsticks
    1 small bottle of make-up remover
    2 small tubes/bottles of foundation

All have been binned
  • QueenB.
    QueenB. Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All the decluttering threads are getting me a bit confused and i seem to be posting all over the place so hopefully this one will stay and be my one and only :D

Another productive day today.

I decluttered the fridge, 2 bedroom draws, 2 living room draws, 3 bookcases and several miscellaneous places.

1. Got rid of 53 books-CS
    2. 5 books-going to a raffle
    3. another 4 books-going to my neice.
    4.1 unopened poster- CS
    5.8 rubbish fridge magnets-bin
    6. 2 nice fridge magnets-CS
    7. 12 DS games-Game shop
    8.1 stone owl ornament-raffle
    9 4 old paper pads-recycled
    10. 7 pieces of underwear- bin
    11. 1 old curtain- local dump
    12. 2 old tops- clothes bag
    13. 3 odd socks- bin
    14. 1 broken rucksack- bin
    15. 8 random boxes- recycled.
    16. food and random packaging- bin.
    17. made gift tags out of Christmas cards.

Still hoping to shred some paperwork and declutter and organise a large wooden box in my bedroom.

Happy decluttering everyone.
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OK chaps.....I'm going to look in the "pit of no return".

Unsure of what I'll find (Narnia possibly) - but thought it best to leave a note which is timed and dated, just in case........................
  • seabright
    seabright Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Two big bags to the charity shop (turned away from the first - they had too much stuff. Oh well, Barnardos loss was Oxfam's gain).

But we did come home with a little Buzz Lightyear toy we found in Oxfam. Seemed a fair swap to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure