PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2014 decluttering thread (part 3)

Options

Comments

• seabright
    seabright Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm determined to get rid (use up, chuck out, recycle, freecycle or charity shop) at least one item a day, hopefully more.

Today: conkers (don't ask) into the garden waste bin, plastic toys into the recycle bin.

Got to tackle some books too.
  • B17c
    B17c Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    May I join please? I've moved from London to rural Scotland and even though I did some carboot sales to get rid of some stuff before I moved, the cr*p is building up again! I'm a hoarder :(

What I need to do is:
    Go through clothes and cull. eBay or charity shop.
    Ditto with shoes and books
    I have drawers full of odds and ends, sort through, be brutal!
    Cull my make up and toiletries eBay for unused stuff.. Recommendations for used stuff?! I'm loathe to throw away an Est!e Lauder lipstick that's only been used twice but doesn't suit me :(

Could probably do with a nice bookcase but I wouldn't get one until I had my own flat ( staying with my mum at the mo until I can sort myself out)

I shall read this thread with interest :)
    Credit Card Debt:[STRIKE]£12991[/STRIKE] £12526
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019
    #126 £1900/£12526
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Re unwanted toiletries - I took a wicker basket full of half used products into the ladies loo at work, other people followed suit - it comprised of body sprays, perfumes, hand wash. body lotions, hand cream etc.
    Unwanted bubble bath doubles up as a hand soap when decanted into a dispenser.
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    May I join too?
    I started in a small way today with the letter rack. It's next to the front door so was stuffed with opened but unsorted letters, leaflets, receipts, broken and working pens, pennies and a marble! All beautiful now with things filed away properly and pens in a pot next to it.
  • Contessa
    Contessa Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I did post on the hoarder thread some time ago and found it helpful and I still need to de-clutter (to sell my house)

I'm not sure which thread I should post on as there's a lot of overlap! I've found it fairly easy to get rid of a lot of big stuff from the loft (exercise equipment, boxes of books, beds, drawers etc!) but still find it hard to get rid of small stuff that "might come in useful" but still takes up space eg. stationery, rolls of sellotape, parcel tape, wrapping paper, pens, pencils.

How much printing paper do I really need? And sticky labels?

I know that I'm being held back by not wanting to throw away stuff that could be of use.....
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 January 2014 at 2:49AM
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Has anyone given any thought to clearing other people's junk out?
    QUOTE]

I actually had an offer of this very recently. Someone who knew that I have issues with throwing things away that may be useful 'someday' was very kind, her only condition was that I was out of the way!!! Otherwise we would spend all day arguing over what was needed and what wasn't....

It does sound like a good idea though, perhaps we should all come around and sort each other's homes en masse.:rotfl:

Pink

Edited to add, I've made our home sound like a nightmare. It's not, but we do have too much stuff and I think personally I would be much happier if I were to clear some of it and be able to give it to someone who would actually use it rather than keeping it for the day that never comes.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've started decluttering. Currently going through old CDs with photos on checking what is on them - then transferring to memory stick and online storage so can get rid of the majority of these.

Have put old music CDs and DVDs into a holder and chucked away the plastic cases.

Got some of those vacuum storage bags from poundland, have put visitor bedding into these to save space.

Waiting for a new shredder so can scan and shred old financial paper work.

Got a pile of clothes sorted ready to go out to the charity shops.

Got loads to do still on top of all this. Incl- going through paperwork, sorting books, clearing cupboards of items haven't used, sorting old electrical items- chargers, wires etc. By my reckoning I'll still be doing it in 2024.

Main priority over the weekend will be to take down the decorations and put those away. Tree will be put for collection next week.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • suzeesu2000
    Options
    Count me in again for 2014 please. Hi Charlies mum, thanks for new thread

I did participate in 2012/13 but, with lovely hubby's health being so rubbish, I crept away :o

I have made some decisions on what needs to happen this year: I want us in our forever home by the end of 2014; I shall be seriously miffed if we aren't. Stairs are getting to be a problem for both of us, hubby needs a mobility scooter too as he is getting to be an old crock:rotfl: (he's 53!):rotfl:

So, good start to the year is getting all my paperwork sorted, properly and finally. I bought two lovely storage boxes, some new folders and now everything is done. All in date order - every flaming one. I have about a ton of paper to shred now. :j Am also sorting stuff for a big eBay later on.

Finally got ourselves debt free in 2013 so 2014 has to continue the positives.

Happy new year fellow groupies.
    X
    Saving 1 animal wont change the world - but it will change the world for that 1 animal

Weight loss challenge 2024 - 1st quarter goal = 15/24lbs
    Pantry challenge 2024
    24 for 2024 challenge
    Prepping….the new world
    Make do, mend, minimise
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    I couldn't help but laugh at the thoughts of ME going to somebody else's place to 'sort 'em out' - oh yeah! I'm SO good at seeing the mess in somebody else's home (my DD for example) - I'm also one of those who doesn't have a problem with having lots of 'household supplies' as long as I can keep them neatly stored .................. Thank the Lord for 'organised chaos' ;).

Big BUT coming ....................... - I'd run somebody out of town if they ever tried to 'sort ME out' :rotfl:.

My main problem is that I was brought up by elderly grandparents in the 50's with 'make do and mend attitude' - so I can't abide WASTE of any kind.

No help at all in my present predicament - 12mths ago, I moved from a 3bed house to a 2bed flat (prior to the house I'd lived in a 1bed flat!).

I've now got rid of lots of excess furniture - though still need to downsize one of my sofas (can't make up my mind which one though) to make way for an armchair.

I also need to downsize my Fridge/Freezer which is very 'overbearing' in my tiny kitchen. Still need a f/f - but have to justify the expense of replacing one which is 'just about working OK'. When I've changed to a 'less tall' f/f, I'll be able to get another kitchen wall unit which will really help with storage in my tiny kitchen.

I think Inventories will help me to get an 'overall picture' of what I've got in the Freezers and make me face the excess 'food mountain' that I need to make us use up asap .......... I guess those would be for a whole different thread :o.
  • Gaelen
    Gaelen Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I generally have a clean out of my things regularly as i'm trying to live a more minimalist lifestyle. I had a month off in-between leaving my old job and starting my new one and planned on having a massive overhaul of my things but my Mum passed away suddenly so not only did my diet, exercise and cleaning go to pot things have built up again.

Today i'm going to be ruthless with an Ebay/charity shop/bin pile. My life tends to reflect my surroundings, just now its all calm and clean on the outside but open a drawer and chaos. Does anyone else get that feeling of when things are clean and organised, you just feel better?

I'm also doing the same on my kitchen cupboards and only eating from what I have, barring any veg once my frozen stuff runs out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure