PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2014 decluttering thread (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    6kg gone so far.

Random mismatched plates will be taken to work for the "kitchen" along with a cutlery amnesty - we are always short of teaspoons in the office.

12 empty wine bottles - I can't see me home brewing in the near future, so they can be recycled.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lovely new thread - happy 2014 everybody!

21 'declared' so far this year, so counting on:

2 booklites (both dead)
    2 toiletry use-ups (too ashamed to join the toiletry stash group :o)
    the xmas cards taken to the supermarket collection box

so, 26 to date :T

I have also had a dig through the cupboards & freezer as I am in the mood for batch cooking, which means it is looking a lot neater & emptier. OK, DH winced when I swilled the last of the pickle into a casserole, but it tastes good;)
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • butterfly72
    butterfly72 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Hi, I'd love to join this thread. I'm not so much of a hoarder but do accumulate stuff I think I might use. For example my craft box is overflowing with ribbons, card, paper, odds and sods... you get the idea. I haven't used much of it for a couple of years so feel its time for a sort out.

We are looking to move soon so now seems like a good time to have a good sort out. So the plan is:

1. The craft box
    2. A box of books - Some academic books & novels. Amazon, Gumtree, CS
    3. Toiletries box. I've got loads and loads of unused items.
    4. Clothes - got a few nice dresses, shoes that can go.
    5. Desk drawers - full of carp.
    6. Old CDs (did music magie loads of them and then car booted some, but have loads left) & I have loads of Vinyl from years gone by - Stone roses, joy division and the like. Not sure who'll want them!
    7. The shed. Bits of old furniture and wood and random items.
    8. Kitchen - pots and pans etc not used in an age.

Not sure how I'll get rid of most of this as I've not used ebay before and too scared to start using it!! I might give it a bash tho. I do use Gumtree and have been successful.

anyway good luck to everyone!
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
  • MILLYMOLLY
    MILLYMOLLY Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, I seem to have become a bit of a hoarder, 'MIGHT NEED IT ONE DAY', type of person.

The last 2 says I have tidied 2 areas and thrown stuff away!!

I have decided this is the way to go, so I'm going to hit one area a day (hopefully). :)
    Starting to save £2 coins again, but it is a struggle:rotfl:Not doing very well keep spending them
  • Catslovelycats
    Options
    Please let me come back!
    I've just got rid of 3 bin bags worth of clothes and bric a brac to charity.
    Yay.
    Trouble is, there's potentially so much more where that came from!
    I really want to get on top of the hoarding. I managed to with toiletries (still working through loads of stuff!) so surely can do the same with everything else...
    I won't be posting here lots but I'd like to be part of the gang please!
    I mean serious business this year!
    Tidy house tidy mind!
  • Baileysonice
    Options
    Hi everyone. Going to dive in to hopefully achieve one of my goals for this year to declutter my home

To be fair I don't have too much to do in reality but I do have areas that are pretty scary like my box room/office, my garage, my numerous clothes wardrobes. Thinking about it maybe I do have a lot to do :)

I have started already a little, managing to fill my bin with a lot of useless paperwork in the office in fact I had to stop as I needed more bin space :o in truth I need a skip, a large one but instead I will just do this bit by bit and keep filling the bin :)

I like the idea of one thing a day but in reality it will probably be more like weekly goals so I am going for 100 items over one month :eek:
    I intend to have 3 bin bags one for charity one for bin and one for sale (I will have to get up and started with ebay for this)

so here we go I guess I will be starting at 100 and counting down so I can see the progress better.
    Todays task is the airing cupboard wish me luck :):)
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I posted on the other thread recently so will carry on over here! I can't do lists and write everything I get rid of down (suffer from OCD so it all gets a bit out of control :() but am pleased to announce got rid of lots of DS's old toys that were broken/he's grown out of. Also got a small electric cooker to go to the tip next time we're out that way.

DH currently working in loft with the aim of turning it into his office so will be more to go as currently used as yet another dumping ground - as is our extension! Things are going to change .....
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Contessa wrote: »
    I know that I'm being held back by not wanting to throw away stuff that could be of use.....

That is the reason most people hoard things, they can't let go of something useful..how about freagle or freecycle ? Let someone else have the use of it if you know you will never get through it all?
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • lucy_lemon
    lucy_lemon Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    I am definitely joining in again this year. Hopefully a bit more frequently too. Last year I did quite well - got rid of quite a lot, although I don't know where it came from. I still seem to have a flat crammed with stuff!

I'm aiming for 100 items a month I think. I would love to just dump it all in the nearest charity shop, but I also really need the money, so a lot will be headed for ebay. Free listings until tomorrow! :money:
  • TheDoolallyDilly
    Options
    lucy_lemon wrote: »
    - got rid of quite a lot, although I don't know where it came from. I still seem to have a flat crammed with stuff!

I know :D how does this happen?? I regularly take bags of stuff to the charity shop and sell things on Amazon and at CEX, and am trying only to buy to replace (eg mascara has run out, so buy a new one) but still I have loads of stuff in my house .... one of life's great mysteries!
    Enjoying the power and freedom of letting things go.

Decluttering - January 2024 - 89 physical objects, over 700 emails/digital decluttering 🎊 🏅🏅
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure