PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2014 decluttering thread (part 3)

Options

Comments

• DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Decluttered notice board and found ticket for holyrood, live till april 2014, and voting form for referendum in september - postals requested for dd1 and 2 and posted :-)
    Then decluttered all earrings into a single tray tool box which was surplus to requirements. None of my earrings are valuable, but nice to have them paired and easy to view, tray fits into middle drawer of dressing table. This of course meant decluttering the drawer which then led to decluttering the other 4. Now wearing very pretty earrings i'd forgotten i'd got
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • cat04
    cat04 Posts: 644 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Apologies that this first post will be a long one but I've done quite a bit so far in the 4 days of 2014!
    I'd like to re-join please! I posted quite regularly in 2012, came back last year and although I was decluttering I stopped reporting back on here and started to lose my motivation.

Apart from STILL needing to declutter and reduce the amount of 'stuff' we have, even after an endless cycle of getting rid, we have motivation to sell some of the things we no longer need/want as we have a wedding to pay for this August! I've opened an online account and every time we sell anything (big or small) the money gets transferred into there. Very encouraging to see it mounting up bit by bit :)

So far this year (which is only 4 days so good going in my eyes!)I've sold via facebook:
    2 x carriers of energy saving light bulbs
    6 x pairs of boxed earrings that I've been trying to sell since I was a Vie at Home consultant!
    3 x new make up items
    3 x children's teddies
    1 x bag of my little ponies
    1 x pair of new baby shoes
    5 x kids books

The following are awaiting collection:
    Pair of small shelves
    5 x new mugs
    Toy musical tv
    Baby doll with outfits

Sold via ebay free listings:
    Hair thickening treatment
    Waxing kit
    New Wonderbra (need to post on Mon so not out of the house yet)
    Also have 9 other things listed at the moment

I have 2 large carriers of clothes and footwear for our local cash for clothes centre so hopefully a few pennies there.

Binned some useless Christmas tree lights today
    From the loft whilst putting up the Christmas bits - recycled 99% of a shoe box full of letters that I was keeping for no real reason apart from the fact I've had them since I was 16....that's almost 18 years of storage time!

I too have the problem of keeping things for sentimental reasons. My Nan passed away at the end of 2012 and my parents moved in November so I have gained quite a few things. Most from my Nan was to keep but most from my parents was to sell for the wedding fund but I've found that I've kept quite a few things for sentimental reasons. I'm sure I'll be able to part with most of them in time - if I get rid of more of our everyday crud I'll have room to keep the things I really want :)

I promise the next post will only be short as I'm going to try and report what's gone every day or 2nd day. Promise.....
    Extra savings aim for 2020 £4,000 £0/£4,000
    Original MF date Feb 2025. Currently Feb 2030:eek: Aiming for Jan 2025 :T
    Mortgage at [STRIKE]10/19 - £47,200[/STRIKE] 11/19 - £46,615
    :heart:My girls keep me going:heart:
  • tiny_courageous
    Options
    I'd like to join again as well. Am on maternity leave at the moment so am trying to declutter and also make a bit of extra cash by ebaying.
    OH has so much stuff as well, I'm trying to get him to get rid but it's a losing battle. His mum keeps giving him religious[STRIKE]tat[/STRIKE] symbols (sorry to anyone who is religious) which just clutters the place up. And then there's piles of books and dvds everywhere. The next day off he has I'm going to get him to sort through all the DVDs and we will music magpie/zapper anything he's willing to get rid of.
  • TheDoolallyDilly
    Options
    Never got to the dresser cupboard :o (today, I am sure I will tomorrow), but ...

32. Game sold on Amazon posted today

Love reading everyone's lists of decluttered items :D
    Enjoying the power and freedom of letting things go.

Decluttering - January 2024 - 89 physical objects, over 700 emails/digital decluttering 🎊 🏅🏅
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Phew! I'm back from the Pit Of No Return; Mr Tumnus says "Hi" by the way.

Found so many missing tops, and also a Christmas present I should have given 2 years ago - no use now - it was a day by day Mensa Challenge calendar for 2012 - DOH!

Also found some long lost fitted sheets - good it means I can bin the really thin bobbly ones.

Only a couple of jumpers and t-shirts to bin really, after I've used them to wipe the bath/clean the floor.

My old netball gear was in there too....will use the top, it's a lightweight warm top with movement room, ideal for gardening. Also found a netball skirt - too scared to try to wrap that around my middle.

3 hooded tops, might be able to offload those to a mate - good nick, but I don't need them, and they'd be ideal for her when dog walking.

Also an ex b/f of my daughters (rather nice) jumper, must have been there for 5 to 6 years, can still use that.

So, not really successful in the decluttering department - sorry to be a let down peeps.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Under stair cupboard:
    - wellies, 2 prs of slippers, a pr dead flipflops, one glove, 4 prs of my shoes, 2 prs DH shoes, one hat and the gloves DH wore through chemo. All to go to recycling.

The dust bunnies went into the bin :o

39 items to date :D

4 more meals cooked from stores for the freezer - had to spend £2 on ingredients.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • flyingmamma
    Options
    Haven't posted for a while but already getting into the swing of decluttering in2014 ... Have a painter in doing l room and landing stairs and hall... The whole house seems to be in turmoil! Stuff everywhere! Have just filled a bag for CS hopefully he will finish tomor and I am determined to hav a decluttered lounge ! I'm only putting in things I love need and use! Went through out cloakroom and found 4 hats 4 scarfs for CS ...I just can't seem to think straight when the house is full of stuff! Last year I went 12 months without buying toys then went nuts at Christmas!? Have stashed some toys in the attic and will bring these out in the summer. This year if we don't need it it ain't getting in the house:)
    No more toys til Xmas 2022 , mfw 2023 challenge , Trying to not waste food , time or money and appreciate the moment more!
  • MalhamCat
    Options
    So I think I posted on a couple of the old threads but am glad to have found the right one now :) I'm hoping to move this year and don't want to cart unnecessary stuff with me (though I know this will happen anyway as there is stuff in storage that I haven't seen in ages and no room to take it out and sort though it where I currently am!!). Anyway, I think I've made a good start but now have all the decluttering jobs that I've been putting off... like old tights! I seem to go through tights incredibly quickly and usually just throw them out once they have too many holes and ladders to be wearable but is there anything else I could do with them instead?!
    Sealed Pot Challenge (No.7): 208

Roadkill rebel: 70
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use old tights to tie tomato plants onto the supporting stick, they are softer than wire so don't dig into the stem.

Also good for storing onions.
  • The_Green_Lady
    Options
    Hi there, I've been posting on an old thread too. I recently posted a DFW diary and had some lovely comments including recommending I visit you with regard to my inability to see the clutter anymore. As a result of this I have sorted out my top dressing table drawer and my 'tights' drawer in the last two nights. It's a start and there's a long way to go. It's fantastic! I really look forward to sharing my achievements with you and hearing about yours as well as being inspired by your top tips!
    DFD - 26th March 2014 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport