🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Roadkill Rebels - January 2014

Options

Comments

• HOK3Y
    HOK3Y Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I was sitting in my car pondering this thread and being negative about my lost opportunities for loot (ie. not hoovering the ground outside the pubs on New Year's Eve). Eventually I got off my pondering backside and found 5p the moment I opened the car door. :p

I think the Universe is trying to tell you something! :A
    Credit Card Freedom gained 14 Feb 2014!!
    Total Debt Freedom gained 29 Apr 2014!!
    Savings goal 30/9/23: £72,000/£538,001.....yes I'm serious!
    Total Debt August 2013: [STRIKE]$21,587[/STRIKE] April 2014: $0!!!!:j
  • HOK3Y
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    SU, meant to tell you, I have also found coins under the chairs in Argos. Very good place to look. :)

I am up now 25p for the day and 90p in w/r.......heading out looking for more shortly!
  • rebeccajlsk
    Options
    Thanks for signing me up hokey - good luck everyone :)

Debt free wannabe
    Competition addict

Debt paid: /£3600
  • HOK3Y
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Been out and found a shedload of w/r! 31p total roadkill for today and so far we have £7.26 for the day from w/r! One more to check in about an hour but I have a feeling I'll be in bed!

Best day in weeks for w/r - I think now that all the deals are over for the holidays perhaps things will get better/easier.
  • MalhamCat
    Options
    Thanks for assigning me a number! :D No luck yet but nearly, nearly got my first roadkill this morning on my commute: 7p on the ground just before the ticket barriers (assume it fell out of someone's pocket as they were getting therir ticket out?), anyway a man quick as lightning swept in front of me and nabbed it! I have a competitor :cool:
    Sealed Pot Challenge (No.7): 208

Roadkill rebel: 70
  • Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MonkeyBalls,that story made me go all goose-bumpy:that is lovely.
    Also,you asked at the end of the Dec thread,where we are all looking for coins.Well,as mentioned last month,"thinking like a coin" is definately the way to go.

But also,I think about the type of area I am looking at,and who visits it.For example,today,my first find for the year,has been 20p in a kids playground.I was looking under all the equipment where kids spin,hang upside down(losing change out of pockets,etc).:D

I look in shops where people only need "smallish" amounts of money:PO shop,where kids go and buy sweets after school,and adults go to buy a few items(lottery tickets,packet of smokes,etc)

Last month my 2 paper finds were in a Claires shop:think hens preparing for their hen's night,gaggles of pre-teen girls and teenagers in groups,out doing their Christmas shopping,all rushing around,probably don't even notice a note falling out of their zip up purse.The £5 note was about a foot away from the counter(in the queue!):I stepped into the queue to save it before anyone saw it!!.:eek:
    The tenner I found was pushed right up against the counter,almost hiding under the shelf displaying keyrings and purses.I can imagine it was sitting there quite awhile before I spotted it.

McDonalds is full of queues at lunchtime:everryone rushing,lots of teenagers,wouldn't be caught dead picking up a 5p piece off the floor.Since I have been doing this challenge,I have not stepped into a Mcdonalds and not found roadkill!!(I don't eat there,just go in,look near the till area,then back out again.:pAlso search under chairs and tables.)

Doorways of shops/supermarkets are good-people checking their change and putting it in their pockets.
    Recently I discovered that coins fall out of people's pockets as they sit on the chairs at Argos,so now I always look there.

Shops that people nip into with afew coins to buy lunch,eg buying a sandwich at Boots:I have lain spread-eagled on the floor to gather a 2p piece in a Boots store before (see November thread,haha).

OH has just asked me if I am typing the bible out by memory,so maybe this is long enough to give you afew ideas.

Hi SU,

I'm glad you liked the story, it was a bit of a dream come true to be honest - when I told my OH she said I just have one of those faces that looks in need of help LOL

Excellent thanks for the advice :) I'll pay a little more attention to those place now, fingers crossed!

I'm going to be in the hospital tomorrow for physio, nothing serious I just hurt my back and it's been painful all over Christmas and New Years - bit of a blessing and a curse to be honest as I've spent nothing on going out but close to £50 on painkillers :( I hate to say it but I'd have rather spent £50 on a night out LOL... Anyway, going back to the point, there is a cafe and obviously a waiting area there so who knows? This could be a prime Roadkill location too! LOL And there will be plenty of folk around to help me get back up :rotfl:

Again, thanks for all the tips and if anyone has anything else... Let me know :)

Cheers,

MB
  • HOK3Y
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    MB! Yes its a great place! There will likely be tons of vending machines - check the coin returns. I once found 95p in a hospital vending machine and the next time I went I found 20p tucked underneath the machine itself. Best of luck!

You are welcome MalhamCat! It's surprising when you start to look how many other people understand the value of a penny.......of course, there are far more who don't! :D
  • chrisfreelander54
    Options
    1p found on steps of shopping centre today, making it a grand total of 2p so far this month.
    YNAB is my new best friend. :)
  • glassy2010
    Options
    are we still using the same numbers as last month i found 0.01p today i had found a total of 0.07p in decomber
    At the end of a long struggle is a good rest! Proud to be dealing with my debts DFW #1471
    lightbulb moment 23/11/13 current debts £10380 debt free date march 2018
    1% Club 5%/100% Roadkill Rebel #55 january £0.01
    S.P.C#159 aim £400 stars :staradmin
  • Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,

Ok so I went to the hospital and had a little snoop around but nothing to find there, I'm gonna put it down to it being early though so if cleaners have just done the rounds and there hasn't been many people wandering through then I was simply there at the wrong time :(

Oh well, next appointment is in a weeks time so maybe I'll get lucky then!

Laters all,

MB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills