Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2014

Options

Comments

• vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 June 2014 at 5:44PM
    Options
    I didn't know about that other one out W Charleston either. I was also going to add Grand Lux Cafe, if that's the sort of thing you were after. We like their happy hour, went a few times when we were at Palazzo last year. Didn't try the Venetian one.
  • bubble113
    bubble113 Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also Cheesecake Factory here https://www.shopthedistrictgvr.com but obviously need a car.
  • secretmachines
    secretmachines Posts: 1,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What about Cheesecake Factory? I know I've read people in here before who say it's fantastic. Not very fancy I know, is it like a proper restaurant? Or more fast food?

Is there only one branch at Caesars, or is there another one?

we love going to TCF, we even went to the one in Dubai :D
    the portions are LARGE, manageable for one of you're really hungry (or determined!)... we've sat next to American couples who've shared a main course. The quality of food is really good, and a really varied menu too.

you can always get your cheesecake as a 'cake away' though... we usually do this, have a main course each, then get a slice each to take back to the hotel, sharing one piece the same day, and put the other in the fridge for another time :)
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    personally we prefer Grand Lux to Cheesecake Factory but that may be because we are addicted to the Asian Nachos at Grand Lux...and we like the location a bit better - the schlep through the Forum Shops puts us off.

The bread basket is dangerous (like all bread baskets are)...and I've learned that after 1/2 the Asian Nachos and a good portion of the bread basket I probably am not going to want much more...but it's difficult as everything I have had there has been great and I'm always so tempted.

It's not posh but it's a nice enough place...and the menu is enormous - would recommend looking online beforehand to start to narrow it down.

I think the other reason we like Grand Lux is it's only in Vegas (I think) whereas Cheesecake Factory is nationwide.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • nvh
    nvh Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been to a Grand Lux in a mall at Miami ferf ;)

edit: argh - I feel I've shattered the illusion now - sorry - I'm sure someone else would've said something if I hadn't :/:)
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    ferf1223 wrote: »

I think the other reason we like Grand Lux is it's only in Vegas (I think) whereas Cheesecake Factory is nationwide.

I had thought that too but saw it at Sawgrass Mills in Florida (near Fort Lauderdale). Certainly not as widespread as some other chains anyway.

Another I used to like is California Pizza Kitchen. I liked their bread with tomatoes something or other 'alla checcha' I think it was called. They didn't have it last time I looked, but I was delighted to see they had it on the menu in Dubai. I'm quite shocked how Americanised Dubai has become on our last couple of visits.
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    nvh wrote: »
    I've been to a Grand Lux in a mall at Miami ferf ;)

edit: argh - I feel I've shattered the illusion now - sorry - I'm sure someone else would've said something if I hadn't :/:)

I was only a few minutes behind you :rotfl:

The only way you could really make it any less good is if there was one in your home town!
  • craigisallin
    Options
    Hi all,

I posted here a few months back but the time to book is edging closer... :beer:

There are 12/13 of us going to Vegas for 4 nights sometime in May 2015 for my Stag party. Just a few quick questions if you guys don't mind?

1. Are Virgin, Thomson and BA the only airlines which fly direct? Some decent Thomson flights from Manchester for approx £650 return ATM. I'm guessing the earlier you book the better the price? I also thought you could fly direct from Dublin but can't see any available?

2. Has anyone ever been to Vegas when the boxing is on? A few boxing enthusiasts and would be good to get the atmosphere that weekend (not necessarily watch the fight though). I'm guessing hotel prices are ridiculous?

3. I really like the Wynn/Encore but prices are extortionate for May 2015. I've noticed on their official website that dates that far in advance aren't available yet which is why prices are so high on hotels.com etc?

4. Any other hotel recommendations? I know its a Stag and a bed should be enough but its a once in a lifetime trip for a lot of my mates and we want to stay in style :cool2:

Thanks in advance!
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    lesley74 wrote: »
    I was only a few minutes behind you :rotfl:

tsk, shame on both of you. ;) I really had no idea...good to know and maybe I will have a look and see if our paths cross with any of their other locations.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Hi all,

I posted here a few months back but the time to book is edging closer... :beer:

There are 12/13 of us going to Vegas for 4 nights sometime in May 2015 for my Stag party. Just a few quick questions if you guys don't mind?

1. Are Virgin, Thomson and BA the only airlines which fly direct? Some decent Thomson flights from Manchester for approx £650 return ATM. I'm guessing the earlier you book the better the price? I also thought you could fly direct from Dublin but can't see any available?

2. Has anyone ever been to Vegas when the boxing is on? A few boxing enthusiasts and would be good to get the atmosphere that weekend (not necessarily watch the fight though). I'm guessing hotel prices are ridiculous?

3. I really like the Wynn/Encore but prices are extortionate for May 2015. I've noticed on their official website that dates that far in advance aren't available yet which is why prices are so high on hotels.com etc?

4. Any other hotel recommendations? I know its a Stag and a bed should be enough but its a once in a lifetime trip for a lot of my mates and we want to stay in style :cool2:

Thanks in advance!

Between £500 and £600 is a good direct flight price these days

I have been in Vegas when a big fight has been on (may have been mayweather) Tickets were megabucks, we didnt go and we stayed downtown that weekend so wouldnt have known it was on.

Hotel prices will prob be better if you wait, unless of course you want to go when there is a large convention on or you wait till after a fight is announced.

If you want to stay in style and mid strip, Caesers palace is an opton, especially the Augustus or Octavius towers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure