XBOX ONE or PS4

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 December 2013 at 7:26PM
    Options
    it was the other way round for 360/ps3 wasnt it? i think the 360 launched at something like £280 while the ps3 was well over £400 at launch wasnt it?

yes,but M$ were on the attack to take away the Ps2 userbase. plus had no bluray drive to cover in costs.
    So Sony could be forgiven
    Here I dont see the wisdom in charging for the Kinect and creating a massive gap
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 December 2013 at 8:29PM
    Options
    legendtobe wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend buying any kind of new console fresh off the release. They usually have issues, like the XBOX ONE's disk drive problem, and the PS4s being dead on arrival.

You know that, I know it and other posters on here know it but people still went and bought 1 and some found they had an expensive paperweight. I'll make a decision next year whether I buy 1 or not. To be honest there's nothing wrong with the 360 I have, games are still being released for it.
  • RobTang
    RobTang Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Options
    matilda.cs wrote: »
    Also, ps4 is winning the next gen race. For a reason?

Given that there still isn't really a clear winner for the 360/ps3 generation after 7 years.

I don't think anyone can claim which of the current gen is winning...

custardy wrote: »
    Here I dont see the wisdom in charging for the Kinect and creating a massive gap

The issue is developing for a special kind of peripheral isn't really doable unless everyone has one, (eg playstation move & sixaxis, original Kinect)

If everyone has one the developers are freer to create features around it.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes,but M$ were on the attack to take away the Ps2 userbase. plus had no bluray drive to cover in costs.
    So Sony could be forgiven
    i think the 360 was cheaper because they rushed it out. that is why they had the red ring of death problem. also the sounding like a hoover thing.
  • custardy
    Options
    RobTang wrote: »
    Given that there still isn't really a clear winner for the 360/ps3 generation after 7 years.

I don't think anyone can claim which of the current gen is winning...

The issue is developing for a special kind of peripheral isn't really doable unless everyone has one, (eg playstation move & sixaxis, original Kinect)

If everyone has one the developers are freer to create features around it.

No problem with that,however I dont see it costing M$ £80 more than without it
    its Christmas and mums and dads will be looking at bang for buck
    1 console
    or a console with extra game(s) and a controller
  • RobTang
    RobTang Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Options
    No problem with that,however I dont see it costing M$ £80 more than without it
    its Christmas and mums and dads will be looking at bang for buck
    1 console
    or a console with extra game(s) and a controller

The thing is its not just a couple of clever cameras and an array mic, all the processing is done on the Kinect itself, its really a special computer designed to do real time image analysis.

I don't think anyone has done a bill of materials for the Kinect 2 but apparently (inc dev work) it costs a LOT more than £80 to produce.

Fair enough on the wanting the extra bits but a dualshock 4 retails at £60 games rrp is £50~~.

And while I'm not a parent id hazard a guess that the child's preference and their peers preferences has a larger impact than £80. Bang for buck is fine if your getting it for yourself but for someone else forking over £400-£500 for something they don't want is a lot more costly...
  • Chickabiddybex
    Options
    Both get catch up TV (4OD, BBCi, etc) both get Netflix and LoveFilm, both can store or stream music, you can watch DVDs on both, you can play CDs, you can play games (obvs), they both have web browsers, both have video chat, etc etc.

As a couple of people have pointed out, yep, at this time the PS4 doesn't play music (CDs, mp3s)
    My bad!

It might in the future though. And my point still stands I think that both can be considered entertainment centres. I think both consoles will offer up some pretty special capabilities in the future. Right now though it's too early to crown a winner!
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • custardy
    Options
    RobTang wrote: »
    The thing is its not just a couple of clever cameras and an array mic, all the processing is done on the Kinect itself, its really a special computer designed to do real time image analysis.

I don't think anyone has done a bill of materials for the Kinect 2 but apparently (inc dev work) it costs a LOT more than £80 to produce.

Fair enough on the wanting the extra bits but a dualshock 4 retails at £60 games rrp is £50~~.

And while I'm not a parent id hazard a guess that the child's preference and their peers preferences has a larger impact than £80. Bang for buck is fine if your getting it for yourself but for someone else forking over £400-£500 for something they don't want is a lot more costly...

Maybe so,but its not unusal to make a loss on a launch console
    sitting with an add on that adds £80 isnt a good plan to me
    smarter for M$ to take a hit to shift units or add a game or something
  • legendtobe
    Options
    PS4 was originally set to be $500, same as the X1. But Sony decided to remove the Eye from it.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    You know that, I know it and other posters on here know it but people still went and bought 1 and some found they had an expensive paperweight. I'll make a decision next year whether I buy 1 or not. To be honest there's nothing wrong with the 360 I have, games are still being released for it.

If a PS4 is borked on arrival then Sony will replace it within a few days. Plenty of threads on the PS forums where people have had issues and Sony have replaced any broken consoles.

I'm not sure why you think if you console is broken all it's good for is a paperweight? Send it back and get a new one, yeah it's a bit of a pain but provided Sony come good replacing them I don't see the issue.

My PS4 has been absolutely fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport