PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How sociable are you?

As a city dwelling OS I find if I talk to people about being frugal and doing things the old fashioned way, they look at me like I have two heads. Everyone seems to talk about careers, moving up the ladder, buying fancy stuff, holiday etc. Basically I have nothing in common with these people.
I love it on here and on other sites because people are proud to be family orientated and frugal, do crafts and Eco friendly stuff. I'm actually turning into a bit of a hermit as I love nothing better than being at home alone fiddling with my knitting, baking, pottering around the garden etc. I don't really feel the need to be with other people, but it totally freaks my DH out! I have always wanted to live somewhere quiet with nature but he thinks that's weird.
How sociable are you offline? Do you need to be around other people or are you happy left to your own devices?

Comments

• This post could have been written by me! I find like you, people look at me very oddly when I mention anything to do with being frugal or mending items, almost as if they consider you tight?

I much prefer being able to chat to people online who share the same values as me and love my own company, I can happy while away the hours doing 'things', be it craft, cross stitch etc and am probably the most anti social person you could meet! :rotfl:

I will talk to people if I am out and about but don't feel the need to have constant company and as for living in the middle of nowhere.........sound absolute bliss! :D
  • evuka
    evuka Posts: 120
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 29 November 2013 at 4:29PM
    I'm genuinely not too sociable, like my own space and time for thinking, etc. I have just started my way OS so I haven't had the "twoheaded" problem :) but I have a friend who is really frugal (tbh perhaps a bit too much) and I know that others look at him as if he was from another planet. Now that I started learning frugality, I talk to him sometimes about money things, where to get stuff cheaper, etc. As I'm not really an outgoing type of person, missing pubs outings or dinners not really affect me but I'd like to meet more likeminded people for some free or inexpensive activities offline so I wouldn't be considered an outsider if I don't spend an awful lot of money on one evening!

Oh, and see, I got a star under my name!!! :T Where did it come from?
    6mo EF: £ /£
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 £
    NSD: Jan /
    Sell 100 items /100
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I'm very sociable online, far more reserved, quieter in real life. As for sharing home skills.... well i'd prefer to be asked.
  • I can handle a few nights a week of my own company but strive to be out and about whenever I can, this of course involves spending some cash and somewhat goes against the whole money saving and debt killing plans. If I stay in too much I can feel quite isolated and fed up, so I need to go out.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    CC-Warrior wrote: »
    I can handle a few nights a week of my own company but strive to be out and about whenever I can, this of course involves spending some cash and somewhat goes against the whole money saving and debt killing plans. If I stay in too much I can feel quite isolated and fed up, so I need to go out.

I love being on my own.:)
  • Judi wrote: »
    I love being on my own.:)

Me too, whoever said silence is loud must have been mad! :rotfl:
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You can be alone without being lonely. I just draw the curtains and cut off the world. I certainly don't feel the need for designer clothes and all the latest gadgets to make me happy.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm very antisocial most of the time. But I'm happy with my little bubble.

I've got my hobbies, my family and my moggies. I really don't need more.

I'm at home all day with DH who has mobility, pain and cognitive issues, we rub along together, sometimes we don't speak for hours on end, but in a good way. I don't crave others company as I'm yet to find anyone that I can tolerate for long enough.

I have a couple of longstanding friends, the sort you can call on in a crisis but if you don't manage to speak for a few months then no biggy. We all rub along nicely and now and then we make the effort to get together for a game of cards or a coffee and a chat. That's enough for me.

I love our life and the way it works for us (obviously I'd prefer DH not to be disabled but we work with what we've got)
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    me myself and I...................WORKS FOR ME
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • kacie
    kacie Posts: 901
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'm not very sociable, I'm closer to my online friends than any offline ones. I do feel lonely at times, when I want to go out with people and don't have anyone to go with, but I would still have the friends I have online than any I know in this town.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure