PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

wheelie bin placement issue

Options
this feels ludicrous to me but here goes.....
we moved into our current rental house last month. we have stored the wheelie bins in 1 front corner of the house as the previous tenant seems to have stored them in the back garden which we didn't want to.

its a detached bungalow in a reasonably affluent village near York.

there is a small snob factor in the village and the area is populated mainly by oap's, we at 30 and 28 are the youngest in the street by a long way.

we got a letter from our letting agent this morning, one of the neighbours has complained about our bins being where they are and can we put them in the back garden again.

where they were, nobody could have seen them from their own house while inside, anyone walking/drivng past would have seen them unless my wifes car was home (which it is except mon-fri 7am to 6pm ish.

to keep the peace I have put them back in the back garden, are there any legal issues with having them at the front? I have looked on local authorities website (east riding council) and cent see any mention of it.

one of the neighbours comes across as very controlling (hes probably in his 60s, has a demeanour of arrogance about him and is always visiting the much older neighbours, I suspect he may help them with shopping etc)

when we moved in he asked us straight away not to get a sky dish installed on his side of our house, as he didn't want to look out of his kitchen and see one, despite the fact he can see his own from his kitchen!!! I agreed to ask sky to install on the other side of the house and feed the cable round in the gutter which the engineer did without issue.

on the grand scheme of things this to me feels ludicrous, estate agent seemed neutral about it when I rang to query it, but she isn't bothered about anything anyway in our dealings so far so hard to judge based on her!

Comments

• Better_Days
    Better_Days Posts: 2,742 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    On what basis did your neighbour complain to the LA about the bins? I would give the LA a ring and ask.

Wheelie Bins are not things of beauty, but unless there are restrictions in your area my initial reaction would be that you can store your bins wherever you like as long as they are not causing an obstruction to pedestrians or traffic. Does your tenancy agreement say anything about the wheelie bins?

Is there any particular reason why you don't want the wheelie bins in the back garden? They are probably less likely to get pinched if they are round the back.

The LA may just be 'passing on the message' without really caring one way or another about the issue.
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • dell12
    dell12 Posts: 152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not quite sure what the estate agent has to do with anything?

Your neighbours sound like hard work, although there's always got to be a bit of give and take for everyone to rub along. Sending a letter before coming to have a chat is ridiculous. I always think it makes people feel more aggrieved. I suspect I might be in the minority but I don't actually think it's totally ludicrous for them to ask you not to put up a satellite dish which they can see (dependant on distance of course!)

While bins don't look great in the front garden I think people need to use a bit of common sense. Perhaps you can tuck them away round the side without too much effort?
  • Fish_n_Chips
    Options
    I Think some people have too much time on there hands....I would put my wheelie bin where ever it suits me....:beer:
  • random1980s
    Options
    they weren't in the front garden, they were to the side of the house at the front, nobody could have seen them form their own house. in this area I feel the risk of theft is nil to be honest so not worried about that. I don't want them in the back garden as the back garden is used for my son to play in/us to entertain etc etc to be blunt lol I just don't want them there. they are now in the side passage but I am going to have to move 2 of them every time I want the third one out if you see what I mean. I believe the neighbour complained to the landlady, who spoke to the estate agent. feels totally ott, if they came for a simple chat I would tell them why they were there and hopefully they would understand. that part has really wound me up, I can tbe sure which neighbour it is but I am 99%
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Obviously you don't want to set out to antagonise, but I would just Put them where you want on your own property.

Given that you are renting, it's not as if a dispute of any kind will affect you.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Put a compost bin in the front garden instead.

If you get any more complaints, place a few gnomes around it, or even better, a few of those plastic meercats.

Every time there's any complaint, add another meercat or WHY. :D
  • random1980s
    Options
    haha, the problem is the landlady knows all the neighbours, she must be about 80 herself, and I don't want to upset/get on the wrong side of her. we intend to be here a long time, we love the house, so want an easy life
  • skivenov
    skivenov Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget to ask your neighbour if he'd mind moving his satellite dish and putting his bin somewhere else.
    Yes it's overwhelming, but what else can we do?
    Get jobs in offices and wake up for the morning commute?
  • random1980s
    Options
    if we buy this house (which is the long term plan), I will be doing! we have 3 cars, 1 private car each and I have a company car, I am amazed he hasn't complained about them as he can clearly see 2 of them from his house
  • Kazza_Monkey
    Options
    your neighbour would love our area we have got 5 wheelie bins for the different types of waste. didn't realise they could be so offensive:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport