PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

wheelie bin placement issue

Options

Comments

• random1980s
    Options
    if I do it now when im renting and the neighbour is as close to the landlady as I think it could cost me the house though, she could just end the tenancy after the 6 months. If I park a trailer etc on my land, move a sky dish on my house, howeve rmuch the neighbour dislikes it I don't see how it can cost me a penny?
  • twink22
    twink22 Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    if we buy this house (which is the long term plan), I will be doing! we have 3 cars, 1 private car each and I have a company car, I am amazed he hasn't complained about them as he can clearly see 2 of them from his house

A neighbour opposite us came round and asked my husband if he would park his work van in the council estate down the road as he doesn't want to see it from his kitchen window! The snobbery of some people eh.
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    if I do it now when im renting and the neighbour is as close to the landlady as I think it could cost me the house though, she could just end the tenancy after the 6 months. If I park a trailer etc on my land, move a sky dish on my house, howeve rmuch the neighbour dislikes it I don't see how it can cost me a penny?

It may cost you when you come to sell as disputes have to be declared...
  • random1980s
    Options
    haha yep I know what you mean. the thing is for someone who owns a house in an expensive area he drives an old banger and dresses like an evacuee but he is clearly set in his way.s im glad the majority seem to agree with me. while renting I will keep the peace, if we buy it though I will do what iwant within the law. I don't care if I wind him up, physically he is not dangerous so not worried
  • random1980s
    Options
    DRP wrote: »
    It may cost you when you come to sell as disputes have to be declared...

to be honest id be very surprised if we sell, no reason to I think we both want to be here for good. I know things can change, but by the time we came to sell I would guess he will be out of the equation, not being nasty but he clearly isn't exactly in a1 perfect health etc
  • ging84
    ging84 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Put a compost bin in the front garden instead.

If you get any more complaints, place a few gnomes around it, or even better, a few of those plastic meercats.

Every time there's any complaint, add another meercat or WHY. :D

2nd best idea ever
  • random1980s
    Options
    so I guess for once my reaction is reasonable judging by the responses so far............
  • Paully232000
    Options
    My first instinct, given his demeanor would be to tell him where to go and leave the bin where it is, or place it in a more prominent position on your front making sure he can see it from his house. I'm wouldn't be too bothered what the neighbours think and gives them something to talk about.
    However, for an easy life just put them round the back.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am usually a rational person but if this happened to me then I would take the following steps (the list is not exhaustive):

- I would put Christmas lights on the bins and move them right to the front

- I would buy a white vest and spill gravy all over it. I would then wear it every time I went to put rubbish in the bin

- I would buy the rustiest 1980's Ford Transit I could find and park it in my drive

- I would buy a rap cd. I would leave and arrive at my house with my car windows down and rap music playing very loud

- I would add a huuuuuuuuuge satellite dish to the front of the house (wouldn't bother wiring it)
  • Tancred
    Tancred Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    Options
    this feels ludicrous to me but here goes.....
    we moved into our current rental house last month. we have stored the wheelie bins in 1 front corner of the house as the previous tenant seems to have stored them in the back garden which we didn't want to.

its a detached bungalow in a reasonably affluent village near York.

there is a small snob factor in the village and the area is populated mainly by oap's, we at 30 and 28 are the youngest in the street by a long way.

we got a letter from our letting agent this morning, one of the neighbours has complained about our bins being where they are and can we put them in the back garden again.

where they were, nobody could have seen them from their own house while inside, anyone walking/drivng past would have seen them unless my wifes car was home (which it is except mon-fri 7am to 6pm ish.

to keep the peace I have put them back in the back garden, are there any legal issues with having them at the front? I have looked on local authorities website (east riding council) and cent see any mention of it.

one of the neighbours comes across as very controlling (hes probably in his 60s, has a demeanour of arrogance about him and is always visiting the much older neighbours, I suspect he may help them with shopping etc)

when we moved in he asked us straight away not to get a sky dish installed on his side of our house, as he didn't want to look out of his kitchen and see one, despite the fact he can see his own from his kitchen!!! I agreed to ask sky to install on the other side of the house and feed the cable round in the gutter which the engineer did without issue.

on the grand scheme of things this to me feels ludicrous, estate agent seemed neutral about it when I rang to query it, but she isn't bothered about anything anyway in our dealings so far so hard to judge based on her!

I think it's just a question of ensuring that the area looks neat and tidy. They don't want chavs moving in and I can't say I blame them - not saying you are one, but I think you know what I mean. As for Sky, it's a matter of personal choice - personally I hate dishes and I hate Rupert Murdoch even more, so I would never use Sky. And watching too much TV is not good for the old brain cells - besides, why cough up more money to watch crap when we already pay a poll tax, oh....sorry TV licence to do this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport