PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    whmf00001 wrote: »
    Very interested in pickled mushrooms, have looked for recipes but wondered which one is best. Also, once pickles, how long do they last, the recipes seem to say around a few weeks but as I am on my own was hoping they would last like pickled onions - possibly months or years !! Many thanks
    I don't think they are pickle that would keep very long too much moisture in the mushrooms. That said Lidl used to (may still) sell jars of marinated mushrooms though even though needed used in a week or so after opening or they tend to go mouldy. I've only ever made them to use quite quickly using a mix of a couple of tablespoons of rice vinegar, 1 tsp or so of grated root ginger, crushed garlic, chopped red chilli, good pich of sugar and a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce to a punnet (300g?) of quartered button mushrooms. More marinated than pickled but very tasty and in a sealed tub ok in the fridge for a week. It would be easy enough to scale down to make a smaller amount.

Today:
    In: nothing
    Out: salmon fillet
    Used up: Pea & ham soup
  • caronc
    Options
    In; root veg mash
    Out: HM roasted veg lasagne, parmesan, chicken stock

Used up: cooked ham, end of a cucumber, end of a bag of radishes. Also made soup with some of the root veg mash.
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    whmf00001 - I think that being frugal has been one of many reasons why my food "stores" have been "over-stocked". Presently though, "stores" are reducing.

The "pickled" (boiled) mushrooms I referred to were not really a recipe I had seen elsewhere. I just simply placed them in some spare vinegar a day or two before I had them. I didn't know if they would keep well stored like this too long.
  • caronc
    Options
    In: HM soup
    Out: scampi, oven chips, peas
    Used up: asparagus
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Since last Tuesday, cancelled my usual online food grocery order. Instead, I used an online "health store" to purchase some birthday gifts for somebody (buy one get one a penny). A few (food) things for myself enabled free delivery; regularly bought items, or those that will assist using up what I have. The freezer drawers appear even less packed. Lots of bills this month so this should continue?
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Back again, the soft fruit glut will begin in about 6 weeks time and there is no room in either freezer........

Out: mashed potatoes, fish pie mix, prawns, sausage goulash.
  • caronc
    edited 12 May 2018 at 8:43PM
    Options
    In: 2 rolls
    Out: pollock, kale, cupasoup
    Used up: lunch tongue
  • caronc
    Options
    In: nothing
    Out: lorne, black pudding, tattie scone, lamb steak, broad beans, runner beans
    Used up: shallots
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Took chicken thigh out last week and hm veg curry with naan and 2 onion bahji, some of the kebab meat (thanks for the poster about that) with last naan bread, another thigh yesterday with half tin condensed mushroom soup so other half today with a thawed pork chop. Have another thigh out (bought a lot) to thaw so I can SC this afternoon with chorizo, red peppers rice etc. Will do both meals in SC, one lot in 1 bag, and the rest in another bag so half the energy used. Also took out a half loaf of bread but grated a good kilo of cheese (special offer) so that is in 3 bags in freezer, still got block in fridge and some from a previous session but I have been having cheese on toast. Trying hard.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Out: 2 steak pies, potato wedges
    In: 1/2 sliced potato, 1/2 red onion, 1/2 sliced red pepper, 1/2 block feta
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback