5.4K replies 524.9K views

Replies

• edited 21 February 2017 at 3:25PM
    Save_DoshSave_Dosh Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 21 February 2017 at 3:25PM
    Not been spending, alas a rather empty fridge. I have free from cheese, mushrooms, some cucumber, and veggies - lots of veggies actually, also egg free mayo, sauces, beetroot, etc. so going to try not shopping for ANYTHING, until Friday, as I really want to use up cupboard and freezer stocks. So.....

BREAKFASTS
    will be fruit smoothies - I have frozen blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, cherries, kiwi, banana,
    LUNCHES loads of homemade soup in freezer
    DINNERS, tagliatelle, mushrooms & onions, in a peanut sauce,
    Wednesday
    , homemade pizza using a pizza base from stores
    Thursday, maybe some roasted veg, potatoes, mushrooms, onions etc, with some meat free chorizo, topped with free from cheese.

Friday I will need to replenish salad stuff & wraps, but hoping not to spend more than £10 - well that's the plan. Have a lovely few days everyone.

OUT: Loads
    IN: Nothing
    August GC - Food £55.56/£80 Alcohol £17.24/£20
    Bulk Funds - Food £19.73 -
    Save 12k in 2019 £1,300/£5,000 - #155
  • Four pork chops from the freezer used up, an onion, red pepper & some left over broccoli from the fridge and a bottle of gluten-free sweet and sour sauce from the cupboard all used up tonight plus a tin of rfice pudding.
  • Purple_kittenPurple_kitten Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is working well for me, nothing has gone in, well apart from 3 pieces of pizza that is....

Various meat and veg out, and I am about to take out some freezer suprise bits. There's a bit of space appearing.

• I was checking the freezer last night trying to get inspiration for next month's plan and what needed using (still that spinach and sweet corn...) And I found I'd put a Martini glass in there for a ready chilled glass and a plate for jam testing. I had to chuckle at myself. Anyone else have curious items in their freezer?!

YES! My daughter is slightly obsessed with 'slime' and 'squishies' (she is 10). So very often I open the freezer and I'm met by various shaped pieces of foam with faces! Apparently freezing squishies makes them 'slow rising' and that's better?!? (These are toys - not like when I was a kid!) Frequently I know before opening the freezer door that there is a slime concoction in there either because the smell gives it away (e.g. slime made from shampoo, washing powder, pva glue, hair mousse) or because it's spilt down the door, dripping and puddling at the bottom. Plus a good few splashes on the floor to the freezer too.... I wish the slime phase would pass.
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    Not been spending, alas a rather empty fridge. I have free from cheese, mushrooms, some cucumber, and veggies - lots of veggies actually, also egg free mayo, sauces, beetroot, etc. so going to try not shopping for ANYTHING, until Friday, as I really want to use up cupboard and freezer stocks.

Friday I will need to replenish salad stuff & wraps, but hoping not to spend more than £10 - well that's the plan. Have a lovely few days everyone.

OUT: Loads
    IN: Nothing

Save Dosh that sounds AMAZING! Sounds like you've really got to grips with your stores. Very impressive. Love your meal plan too which eeks out every last bit of everything.

NSD #14 - yeay - target achieved and plenty more to go yet. DD and I walked the mile or so into town, opened the credit union accounts for the kids and walked home again in the pouring rain. But it was great to actually be outside and not too cold... Just wet.

OUT: 2 eggs, 2 bacon (DD lunch); 1/2 of the 1/2 can sweetcorn from yesterday, frozen individual pie (F), frozen fries (F).
    IN: nothing

I felt awful giving daughter the easy cook food but OH is away for work, DS eats at school on Tuesday night and I'm now on day 5 not managing any food. I tried a small forkful of DDs scrambled egg but within 30 minutes was so so sore. I offered her sprouts and carrots and sweetcorn but she asked for the sweetcorn and fries so it all got bunged in the oven.

Planning on making kids macaroni cheese with bacon tomorrow and I just know I won't be able to eat any of that - fat is what set this all off I am sure. I will do twice as much cheese sauce as I have a cauli in the fridge and it won't get used next week so I may as well use it up. Just the whole question of where I am going to put it - and what am I going to put it in?! If all else fails I will cover the fairly flat pyrex dish I cook it in and force it in somehow. It WILL fit. It WILL. Ahem... No soup made today as I had planned as I just couldn't face cooking.

OH home Thursday and my parents and 2 friends arrive same day so I am going to make a huge pan of corned beef hash but have loads of tatties, onions, carrots and a tin of corned beef in already. Still got bread and still an unopened milk so I think I will avoid any shopping until I am home from my break now. Although this is worrying as OH will be left to get bread and milk etc... I'm quite sure some weekend beer will turn into week ahead beer... But I can't really complain seeing as though I'll be in the sun and he won't!!
    OUT:

• tootallulahtootallulah Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Out: 2 slices of bread but more importantly nothing has gone in!

i need to clear the small fridge in the kitchen by the end of March when the kitchen will be rejigged a bit. The key is never to cross the threshold of Waitrose................
    Mortgage House £68,000 July 2019, Aug £67k, Sep £66k.
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    In: nothing
    Out: 1 cupasoup, piece of chorizio, 3 beef links, 1 portion oven chips and 1 tin beans

• zafiro1984zafiro1984 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Oh gin! Can I borrow your parents?!

Zafiro I had to snort at gooseberry stew. Lol.

I was checking the freezer last night trying to get inspiration for next month's plan and what needed using (still that spinach and sweet corn...) And I found I'd put a Martini glass in there for a ready chilled glass and a plate for jam testing. I had to chuckle at myself. Anyone else have curious items in their freezer?!

Yes fifth drawer down in the far freezer. The one very well wrapped parcel that occupies the drawer, belongs to our daughter. I will not say exactly what it is but it needs the mini digger (when mended) to dig a hole for it near to other similar parcels on the farm.
  • Lol zafiro and jensfeet! Glad it's not just me. Although, I have to say, a Martini glass and jam plate sound a lot better than your deposits!!

DS decided to help cook tea tonight. It's been a long time and he was a lovely help. I have enough left for lunch tomorrow, so that's me sorted! Remembered to use spinach and peas from the freezer, we also finished the frozen peppers. We finished the mushrooms and courgette too. Just used the one chicken breast I took out earlier and we made a dent into the jar of rice. Mac and cheese tomorrow so nothing to come out of the freezer. I'll be going shopping though and the list has increased. BUT mum and dad invited us for tea on Sunday, Monday we'll be having take out if we stay in budget and Tuesday will be shrove Tuesday and I might skip making a healthy dinner as I know DS just wants pancakes. So it's just Thursday, Friday and Saturday I need to shop for really. I've listed the meals that have gone into the freezer on to march's meal plan so that they don't languish in there.

I'm jealous of the homegrown butternut squash too. We love them and add them to most things!
  • edited 22 February 2017 at 2:52AM
    K9sandFelinesK9sandFelines Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 February 2017 at 2:52AM

Today
    [IN DD1 here overnight and DGD. DD1 meant to be picking up some bananas and frozen veg in way here, but don't think she'll make Morrisons in time, so probably nothing
    OUT bread, avocado and whatever DD2 has had, [STRIKE]I have took a full bag of chicken portions out of freezer for DD1 & 2 to have a mini roast. I will have shepherds pie, so probably five potatoes, peas, some chicken, one parsnip, whatever oddments of veg I can scrabble together, one onion, stuffing from cupboard, half bag of vegan mince, sweet potato, eggs (for use in Yorkshire pudding if wanted)[/STRIKE]. I will use up stale cereal, a bit of vegan marg, some syrup and cooking chocolate and do some form of choc crispy type cakes, as the cereal mountain is an issue of it's own. Stopped buying it as noone is eating it, yet still have about five unopened boxes.

Hopefully report back later or when I am not so busy with work!

HI all, the bit crossed out never happened Sunday but did yesterday so will start from Sunday again.

Sunday
    IN Nothing. DD1 was too late for the shops
    OUT Quorn meatballs, some Passata from freezer, tin of chopped tomatoes, garlic bread from fridge, vegan bolognese from freezer, sprinkle of vegan cheese and spaghetti. Some of crispy cakes and angel cake from the other day, and last of vegan jam roly poly and soya custard.
    Packed lunch bits (DD2)
    Monday
    IN Walkers share bag (reduced at work), three large Yorkshire puds, frozen cauliflower, frozen brocolli, Wonky carrots, hash browns, onion rings and fresh peppers
    OUTbread, avocado, trek bar, three potatoes, one parsnip, one massive carrot, handful of frozen brocolli, handful of frozen cauliflower, last of onion gravy pot (found one more), last packet of stuffing, two large Yorkshire puds,two vegan Quorn fillets

Tuesday
    IN packet of YS finger rolls (so I could have vegan hotdogs at work that I had taken to warm up), packet of YS burger buns for tomorrow's tea, some more carrots that were otherwise going to be wrote off ( will have tomorrow with spring greens, and other oddments and make soup and possibly stew for DD1 to take home Thursday, as she is staying overnight again tomorrow as GDG has her second Injections). Also, a pack six tomatoes (again otherwise would have been wrote off at work... will make salsas or similar for during the week to go with Mexican).
    OUTbread, avocado (I have this mout mornings, which is probably why I can't lose weight... that and other good stuff :p), sprinkle of vegan cheese, four hotdogs from freezer, two finger rolls, one red onion, Quorn nuggets (think DD2 has had these, as I spied a pan when I got in from work, so maybe peas and something in Visicook like a waffle?). Also, one banana, last the strawberries, two Clementines, and a soya mango yoghurt,plus a whole box of Oreo thins :eek: :embarrassed: ( this is due to being a woman and Aunt Flo visiting nay time soon :(. It is a good job been busy in work most of the night putting out to delivery!)

One week to push and although there is not a massive dent in my cupboard/freezer space, we are getting there. My grocery shop spend is definitely lower anyway :).
    Will try and be good tomorrow; but I have three days off work now and know we definitely need lettuce and cucumber. Also, it's food club day;so may come back with other bits, though I will try not to :P

Jensfeet hasn't the weather been nasty here the past few days?!. Sounds like you live further out from me, as it takes me about 7/10mins to get into to town on foot. :rotfl: re your daughter and wonderful concoctions. My daughter used do this and mix lots of drinks together (seperately from the other concoctions), but never adorned my freezer.Hope you are feeling better soon. BTW, I would love your chilli jam recipe if you don't mind sharing. I have just received delivery of an Instant Pot and wonder if I could make it in that!?
    Zafiro Hope you manage to get your mini digger fixed soon, and the parcel to it's rightful place
    GinmonsterWhat a lovely Dad. I choke everytime my oven is on despite having cleaned it several times. Just aswell i use my Visicook more that the oven!
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 £3,053.51 GC 2020 Jan (absent) Feb £340.16/£320 Mar £363.25/£350 Apr £249.34/£350 May £539.46/£350 Jun £439.60/350 Jul £32.90/£400
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • danniedannie Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Current food grocery spends are now £57.90 for February 2017. My purchases have been "reasonable" in the sense that I am trying to use up existing "stores". They have included a 10p spend (reduced price celery/611gr was edible), an online purchase for a health supplement, animal feed and an online grocery order. The latter included items that will go into next month, two (edible) presents for someone and what I thought useful for health reasons. I also considered whether some of my regular purchases will be withdrawn eventually so purchased some of these.

Although existing "stores" look "too much", I still have hope that they will be more at a "manageable" level eventually....