Diary of a spendy cow

Options

Comments

• mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ali-OK wrote: »
    Hope the AdPoints are on the up. 7 is better than 0!
    I'm at a more respectable 57 now :D

Budget update time!

I am a NSD for the Weekly Spend Challenge, but I did spend some money from my food budget.

I spent £11.13 in Aldi which got me two bags of cat litter, milk, bread, garlic bread and chicken breasts (jambalaya for tea tomorrow)

My accounts are now:

Credit card: £129.78 (a reduction of £4.10 since yesterday)
    Current account: £420
    Food account: £193.72
    Christmas account: £383.12

My bills account is ticking over nicely, and it's getting switched to First Direct in the middle of next month. They're offering £100 for switching and I've heard good things about their customer service. Once the switch is done I'm going to look at switching my various savings pots to them too, just to keep everything in the one place.

The next big job is to do mortgage comparisons - my payment has gone up by £70 this month as I have lost my staff rate (a rather lovely 0.5%) since being made redundant and am now on the SVR. I think a four year fix would still reduce my payments, so need to do some investigating about this one. Not tonight though - there are more Adpoints videos to watch :D

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,841 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Only got up to 51 today which is low for a Monday~bah.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • The_Golden_Goose
    Options
    GOTCHA! :rotfl:

You are a lot like me in, in terms of "all or nothing".

I'm a bit miffed that Valued Opinions don't recognise iPads when doing surveys and therefore I now have no ability to earn anything via their surveys unless I get a laptop and that ain't happening anytime soon.

Anyways, I shall return back to [STRIKE]stalking[/STRIKE] following your diary once again.
    ** Proud to be dealing with my debts **
    LBM - Jan 2009 _pale_ : £24,802.21 :eek:
    February 2010 :silenced: : £18,078.47 (not including OD)
    July 2010 :( = £16,819.34 (not including OD)
    January 2012 :mad: = £14,338.75 (not including OD)
  • mooomin
    Options
    Morning all (and a special welcome to our returning Goosie :D )

I seem to have done something weird with my Tesco credit card when I was working out how much I owed as it's sitting £10 in credit this morning, although apparently with a 98p transaction pending :rotfl: I have no idea what's going on there!

I'm assuming I'll be £9 in credit and will use that for my night out on Wednesday to try and keep myself on track for the weekly spend challenge.

I'm making pea and ham soup later which will do my lunches for the rest of the week - proper winter food is needed now the weather is getting colder ;)

I did a few more Adpoints videos last night and this morning and my total is up to 141. I need to do something to earn Nectar points as I barely shop at Sainsbury's anymore and now that I commute via bus I'm using less than a tank of fuel a month (bought from Sainsbury's)

Great British Bake Off final tonight - EXCITED!! :D
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm looking forward to the final, though I have a feeling I know who's going to win already...
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • mooomin
    Options
    Bake Off was excellent. I won't comment on the winner in case I spoil it for anyone but I had a lovely time. My friend came round - I cooked dinner and she bought cake, so I think I got the better end of the deal ;)

I've spent £5 today on an entrance fee for a work charity thing on Thursday, so I have £15 left of my self-imposed budget. Tomorrow I'm aiming on having a night out/dinner for £9 which might be ambitious, but I'm going to give it a go. That leaves me £15 for another night out on Thursday - my colleagues are talking about having dinner but I don't want to pay for it. It's not that I can't afford it, weekly spend challenge or not, but I would rather spend the money on something else.

I paid in £35 to the bank today because I had some cash leftover from the weekend, so I've paid £15 off my credit card and added another £20 to the Christmas account. That's taken a minor hit today as I spent £68.95 (!!) on my dad's birthday/Christmas present. That's split between me and my brother though so it's not *too* bad. I got the fishing thingie he wanted with £25 off thanks to a sale on the website and will eventually get 10% cashback from Topcashback, so I've done it in as MSE way as I can :money:
  • The_Golden_Goose
    Options
    Mooomin tell me how you manage on night outs when you have limited budget? Nearly all my friends are from the "split the bill" camp and sometimes it works out dearer than if I paid for what I had. Do you say firmly at the beginning that you'll pay for your own etc? Tbf I don't go out that often which sometimes makes it worse and more spendy as it's like "well I don't go out much so I deserve a treat" and take my eye of the spends which is completely not debt busting. Excuse me I seem to have become a rambling idiot recently.
    ** Proud to be dealing with my debts **
    LBM - Jan 2009 _pale_ : £24,802.21 :eek:
    February 2010 :silenced: : £18,078.47 (not including OD)
    July 2010 :( = £16,819.34 (not including OD)
    January 2012 :mad: = £14,338.75 (not including OD)
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well done on your Dad's birthday/Xmas present, that's a great saving and TCB too. I need to look at using that, used to be a Quidco fan.

* Notes down alongside hob nobs and jambalaya :D
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • mooomin
    Options
    Mooomin tell me how you manage on night outs when you have limited budget? Nearly all my friends are from the "split the bill" camp and sometimes it works out dearer than if I paid for what I had.

I'm not shy about being skint :D If we're going out for dinner and are splitting the bill I try to pick somewhere that's a little cheaper - Pizza Express often has cheap deals on like £13 for three courses. If I don't drink and everyone else does I point that out ;) Tomorrow I'm out for dinner but we're going to a local pub so I should be able to get a main course and a diet coke within my £9 budget.

I'm going to have a drink on Thursday but come home to Mooomin Towers for dinner as I'll make chilli before I go to work tomorrow.
    Ali-OK wrote: »
    Well done on your Dad's birthday/Xmas present, that's a great saving and TCB too. I need to look at using that, used to be a Quidco fan.

* Notes down alongside hob nobs and jambalaya :D

TCB doesn't charge you to be a member like Quidco does and since they have made their website less 1980s-designed it's a lot easier to use :D You can get paid in Amazon vouchers or Clubcard points as well as cash, which is good as you can then convert the points to vouchers. I'm waiting for £26 cashback to get paid out from TCB. It's sitting as "payable" but not paid yet. I should be able to request it soon though.
  • mooomin
    Options
    Morning :)

Credit card: £114.78 (Fully expect to have that under £100 by next week)

Food account: £192.32
    Christmas account: £368.12

Not much to report this morning. I forgot to make my soup last night, so I'm taking a tin of soup to work for lunch (Oh, the shame!) and have soup bubbling away on the cooker this morning.

Happy hump day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family