chemical Peel home kit

Options

Comments

• devildog
    devildog Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everybody, inspired by this thread I have ordered myself some Salicylic peel. My only reason for choosing salicylic was price :o I am on a budget and this was the cheapest option. It recommends to start with 10% but I felt in need of something heavy duty I didn't want to chance 20% so went for 15%. To start with I will leave it on for half the recommended time as I am new to this.

EDIT: I have been googling and reading up more on this, I am now scared :eek: I have cancelled my above order and will spend a few more quid to get the glycolic, not sure what percent to start with think I will try 20%?

I will up date on how I get on. My main issue is enlarged pores does anyone know what would be best for this? Also do I just follow my normal routine in the week, I don't do anything fancy just a basic face wash and moisturiser, I do sometimes use a hot cloth cleanser would this still be ok? Thanks

I believe I read somewhere no exfoliating for a couple of days after doing a peel so I would leave the hot cloth cleanser for a couple of days (says she who has done it :) ) it feels like you are rubbing sandpaper on your face!
    I understand that the salicylic is probably the best one for enlarged pores (I haven't tried it though) I have tried two strengths of the glycolic and a higher strength mandelic and I prefer the mandelic (doesn't sting/irritate like the glycolic)

Just start slowly, leaving on for a minute and then increase by a minute every week for up to 7 weeks.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 February 2014 at 3:44PM
    Options
    Thanks for the advise. I looked into the mandelic and this seems to be a more natural version so will order a 5% mandelic leave on daily toner to use for the first week as I have lots of surface dead skin and hope it will help with that before I do the peel. I have gone for a 15% mandelic. I will do a salicylic peel at some point but feel I need to work my skin up to that.

One difference I did notice between the salicylic and glycolic/mandelic was the salicylic you apply with a cotton pad but the others you need a brush, which seems more of a faff. Can I just use cotton pads with the mandelic or do I need to apply with the brush? Thanks again.

hotspur_pam what strength mandelic are you using?
  • hotspur_pam
    Options
    I'm using the 10% mandelic, didn't want to start off too strong. Personally, i use a cotton bud and gently brush it against the skin. I can already see a few of the deeper acne scars starting to lie more flat on the skin. Hopefully it will help with your enlarged pores.

Can't wait for the next peel session, it's so addictive :rotfl:. I can feel a small lump under the skin on my chin, can't wait to get at the little !!!!!! with the acid peel :D.
  • devildog
    devildog Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the advise. I looked into the mandelic and this seems to be a more natural version so will order a 5% mandelic leave on daily toner to use for the first week as I have lots of surface dead skin and hope it will help with that before I do the peel. I have gone for a 15% mandelic. I will do a salicylic peel at some point but feel I need to work my skin up to that.

One difference I did notice between the salicylic and glycolic/mandelic was the salicylic you apply with a cotton pad but the others you need a brush, which seems more of a faff. Can I just use cotton pads with the mandelic or do I need to apply with the brush? Thanks again.

hotspur_pam what strength mandelic are you using?

I am not sure to be honest. It could be something to do with how they are designed to work on the skin(?) Glycolic/mandelic work more on the surface and salicylic goes deeper into the skin? The brush is ok to use, just don't overload it otherwise you could end up with liquid dripping where you don't want it to and just protect eye area and lips with some sort of barrier cream.
  • Emuchops
    Emuchops Posts: 799 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've used Glycoloic 30% and 50% and Mandelic and I just apply by pouring a bit into my palm and using my fingers to apply.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My delivery arrived today :) I tried out the 5% toner, I was surprised that my face tingled for quite a while afterwards :eek: glad I made the decision to use this first to prime my skin ready for a peel next week.

Good to hear the 10% is achieving results for you hotspur_pam, I went for the strength up as I thought the 10% might be too mild but if its working for you then I should certainly see some results with the 15%.

I like that idea of using a cotton bud to apply it, I am going to practice putting on my moisturiser with one. The brush looks too wide to use and as I have bad eyesight I am frightened if I use that I will end up making mistakes.

I will keep you all posted with my progress.
  • fizzytrinket
    fizzytrinket Posts: 404 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2014 at 12:37AM
    Options
    Wow ladies :D good on you!

I've put mine on with fingertips.

Remember to degrease thoroughly before peel so it doesn't have to work through anything to get to your skin.

I've been using them for 4 years without any problems. I always take things slowly. Don't forget you can put on back of hands and chest too.
  • iammumtoone
    Options

I've put mine on with fingertips.

Remember to degrease thoroughly before peel so it doesn't have to work through anything to get to your skin.

I've been using them for 4 years without any problems. I always take things slowly. Don't forget you can put on back of hands and chest too.

Thanks for your input. What do you use to degrease?

Do you wear gloves when you apply using your fingers? or just neutralise your fingers afterwards?
  • Emuchops
    Options
    Thanks for your input. What do you use to degrease?

Do you wear gloves when you apply using your fingers? or just neutralise your fingers afterwards?

I just use bare fingers and rinse in water or wipe afterwards-don't bother neutralising. Any leftovers in my palm I rub into the back of my hands. Perhaps I have tough skin though?
  • fizzytrinket
    Options
    I use acetone on a cotton wool pad to degrease. Splash with water and wait 15 minutes before applying the peel.

I just rinse my fingers with water. I usually use the fan brush though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure