We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Apple launches new iPhones – and reveals prices

Options

Comments

• Number29
    Number29 Posts: 138 Forumite
    edited 11 September 2013 at 9:56AM
    Options
    What an absolutely ludicrous claim on a money saving site. If you really are that indoctrinated I feel sorry for you and your wallet/purse.

I feel sorry for the second rate user experience that some people put up with in the name of saving a few pennies instead of going for best value.
    IOS or Android.. it generates a screen, you tap things and they happen, you slide things, pinch and zoom and so on, a bit different here and there but both do the same thing and neither has abilities the other doesn't.

I think you underestimate the vast difference in user experience, enjoyment and support between these two platforms. It easily makes iOS worth paying more for if you ask me (my Galaxy S3 toting sister and partner would most definitely agree based on how shocking the S3 is!).
  • MikeWhite
    Options
    Number29 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the second rate user experience that some people put up with in the name of saving a few pennies instead of going for best value.

Since when has "several pennies" equated to hundreds of pounds?
  • Number29
    Options
    MikeWhite wrote: »
    Since when has "several pennies" equated to hundreds of pounds?

I don't know why people would compromise on experience, enjoyment and support for a few hundred pounds. It's well worth the extra if you ask me. Like I said, it's about value, not the cheapest device else we'd be recommending everyone buy a £5 Nokia, or living without a mobile entirely.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is an error in the MSE article, the iPhone 5C is a not equal to the 4S. The 5C is equal to the iPhone 5.

Everytime Apple has released a new model of iPhone over the last few years they have continued to offer the previous years model at a discounted price. The 5C only continues this by offering the 5 cheaper but adds a new coloured shell.

Although only having an £80 difference between the 5C and 5S means I really can't see the point of getting the less powerful phone!
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    I'm just wondering when the Apple fanboys will start camping out outside their shrines to [expensive] grot to get their hands on this expensive piece of plastic and Al!! :D

And how long it'll be on their after they get their hands on their latest expensive gadget they'll be slagging Apple off for there being a nick on "diamond cut bezel" that can only be seen with an electron microscope :D
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    schrodie wrote: »
    I'm just wondering when the Apple fanboys will start camping out outside their shrines to [expensive] grot to get their hands on this expensive piece of plastic and Al!! :D
    That's looking much more likely than during previous iPhone launches. In the past, the new iPhone has been available to order one week before the release date, and the delivery is subsequently made on the same day that the iPhone goes on sale in shops. This time, the iPhone 5S can be ordered only from 20th September, the same date that it will go on sale in shops. Therefore those who want to be the first to have one will have no choice to buy in a shop, because any orders will probably not be delivered until 23rd September at the earliest.
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    That's looking much more likely than during previous iPhone launches. In the past, the new iPhone has been available to order one week before the release date, and the delivery is subsequently made on the same day that the iPhone goes on sale in shops. This time, the iPhone 5S can be ordered only from 20th September, the same date that it will go on sale in shops. Therefore those who want to be the first to have one will have no choice to buy in a shop, because any orders will probably not be delivered until 23rd September at the earliest.

£709 for a mobile phone!!!!!!
    :rotfl::rotfl:
  • J_i_m
    J_i_m Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options
    I think I'll be sticking with my iPhone4 for a fourth consecutive year. It's in pretty good condition.
    :www: Progress Report :www:
    Offer accepted: £107'000
    Deposit: £23'000
    Mortgage approved for: £84'000
    Exchanged: 2/3/16
    :T ... complete on 9/3/16 ... :T
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    Number29 wrote: »

I think you underestimate the vast difference in user experience, enjoyment and support between these two platforms. It easily makes iOS worth paying more for if you ask me (my Galaxy S3 toting sister and partner would most definitely agree based on how shocking the S3 is!).

Like I said before, I genuinely feel sorry for you.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jon81uk wrote: »
    Although only having an £80 difference between the 5C and 5S means I really can't see the point of getting the less powerful phone!
    Yup - the "C" doesn't seem to denote "cheap".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure