We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Apple launches new iPhones – and reveals prices

Options

Comments

• Earthworm
    Options
    ZhugeEX wrote: »
    You might want to take that back.
    Haha I meant Mini. It's too late. Edited.
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ZhugeEX wrote: »
    So the iPhone 5s has a finger print scanner to verify who you are and unlock your phone?

Will the iPhone 6 require a blood sample before you can unlock or log in to your phone?

Also The M7 Chip uses GPS to keep track of the activities you're doing*

*Designed by the NSA

You can more than likely disable all of those options, and just use the new sensor as a regular old capacitive home button.

Also, apps can already use all of those sensors to keep track of the activities you're doing; Apple has just made it easier. It's apparently more battery efficient as well.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • ZhugeEX
    ZhugeEX Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    matttye wrote: »
    You can more than likely disable all of those options, and just use the new sensor as a regular old capacitive home button.

Also, apps can already use all of those sensors to keep track of the activities you're doing; Apple has just made it easier. It's apparently more battery efficient as well.

Calm down mate! I'm only joking :)
  • Number29
    Options
    Narc wrote: »
    Overpriced apple products are not moneysaving. A pointless article to draw traffic from trending keywords.

Don't forget that the spirit of Moneysavingexpert is to get good value, which isn't necessarily the cheapest thing. I'd argue the iPhone is the best value smartphone on the market.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    Daz2009 wrote: »
    I think they're going after the younger market with these brightly coloured 'cheap' versions....is the 'c' for cheap ;)
    You can just see 10yr olds pestering their parents for one for xmas cos 'they're only 99 quid mum'
    Once Apple get them hooked they're hooked for life so get them young and it will make them more money

yep, i can absolutely see this (12-year old daughter in the house here, I'm sure she'll be pestering daddy to buy her one for christmas).
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    Number29 wrote: »
    Don't forget that the spirit of Moneysavingexpert is to get good value, which isn't necessarily the cheapest thing. I'd argue the iPhone is the best value smartphone on the market.

There isn't anything an iphone can do that a £70 Android phone can't do too. Paying £400+ extra to do it a bit slicker isn't anywhere near MSE value.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Number29
    Number29 Posts: 138 Forumite
    edited 11 September 2013 at 8:16AM
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    There isn't anything an iphone can do that a £70 Android phone can't do too. Paying £400+ extra to do it a bit slicker isn't anywhere near MSE value.

But the £70 phone is Android rather than iOS, and that's the crux of the issue. If the £70 phone were running iOS I'd agree with you.

And for £70 you'd be better off with something like the Nokia Lumia 520 anyway.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd argue the iPhone is the best value smartphone on the market.
    It's still a premium brand and there's no true budget model. I liked a tweet that the Telegraph quoted yesterday:
  • MillicentBystander
    MillicentBystander Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    edited 11 September 2013 at 9:12AM
    Options

What an absolutely ludicrous claim on a money saving site. If you really are that indoctrinated I feel sorry for you and your wallet/purse.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    But the £70 phone is Android rather than iOS, and that's the crux of the issue. If the £70 phone were running iOS I'd agree with you.

And for £70 you'd be better off with something like the Nokia Lumia 520 anyway.

IOS or Android.. it generates a screen, you tap things and they happen, you slide things, pinch and zoom and so on, a bit different here and there but both do the same thing and neither has abilities the other doesn't.

The Nexus 4 at £159 makes an iphone 5 beyond comprehension.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure