We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Latest_Blue_Tits.jpg

Don't remember taking this, but is my location and about as exotic as it gets.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Had a great amount of !!!! blackbirds around this backend.
    And today I saw the amazing demise of 1:A

As said we have been feeding birds all winter, as usual.
    None come until the frosts or fallen snow, but over the last few weeks we have had squabelling blackbirds around.

I was at the kitchen window doing veg for dinner and looked up at exactly the right second.
    A !!!! blacky was on the garage gutter, about to drop on the mealworms we put down. Suddenly he was slammed 8ft over and down into the conservatory window by a beautiful Sparrowhawk.
    It killed him outright and sat on him for at least 2 mins but just when the the camera was ready it simply lifted of with blacky in it's tallons, beautiful ce la vie or what ever.:A
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,086 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Cylconebri - your experience reminded me of a photo I took on 03 October 2012 when I was at work in the Midlands. We sat inside the cafe one day looking through the glass when this happened. The raptor (and I can't identify it from this picture as we were a bit away from it) chased the pigeon which flew into the glass walls of the office building. In face there was a bloodied impression of the poor pigeon on the office wall for many months, could see all the feathers in red.

The raptor seemed unconcerned with everyone watching and taking pictures and proceeded to pluck out all the feathers from the pigeon. A pile of them were out there for many days until finally a wind came up

[IMG][/img]Raptor.jpg
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well caught, Gers! I'm just reading H is for Hawk, a brilliant book if you like raptors. I've never seen a Goshawk here, Sparrowhawks and Kestrels Buzzards and the odd Eagle (there is a releasing program in a nature reserve in the district), and never with the Camera out.
    OH managed to get one on the road - if you google North Fife Eagle, the 3 pictures on the road are his. To illustrate the size of the bird, 2 cars pass easily on this road!
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Lucky escape, HG. looked like he was eying up for a kill.lol
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Cylconebri - your experience reminded me of a photo I took on 03 October 2012 when I was at work in the Midlands. We sat inside the cafe one day looking through the glass when this happened. The raptor (and I can't identify it from this picture as we were a bit away from it) chased the pigeon which flew into the glass walls of the office building. In face there was a bloodied impression of the poor pigeon on the office wall for many months, could see all the feathers in red.

The raptor seemed unconcerned with everyone watching and taking pictures and proceeded to pluck out all the feathers from the pigeon. A pile of them were out there for many days until finally a wind came up

[IMG][/img]Raptor.jpg

Yes, again, a Sparrowhawk, they are really amazing, the thing that struck me was that mine just sat there with talons clenched until it was certain the BB was dead, then just lifted off.

A mate called in today, he said he had seen the same thing recently in his garden, but it took a wood pigeon, a bird it's own size, but "his" kept rocking from side to side applying local pressure until the bird didn't struggle.

It's nature and is just as satisfying to observe as the more wholesome aspects.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Lucky escape, HG. looked like he was eying up for a kill.lol

I think it was one of the newly released youngsters and a bit disoriented :D. It had no idea to better fly off when a car is approaching or OH would not have had time to take 3 shots...

Bakc to my garden - we have a blackbird with some white wing feathers, very odd!
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Gers
    Options
    My back garden is littered with birds all scoffing from either the feeders or the ground food.

Every time I go into my kitchen they all scatter with a mighty flurry, makes me feel like the gardener in Bill and Ben! Once I get to my sink at the window a few brave souls flutter back, eat from the feeder whilst keeping a beady eye on me. Funnily enough when I actually go out to refill the feeders they all gather in the spruce tree to watch and wait.

A blackbird with white bits? Please share if you find out what it is.
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,698 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 February 2015 at 3:28PM
    Options
    Happygreen wrote: »
    Bakc to my garden - we have a blackbird with some white wing feathers, very odd!

When we were at our caravan last summer we spotted a blackbird with white wing tips. It was around for quite a few weeks. Sadly I never got a photograph of it.

Just found this page on the RSPB site. Some more blackbirds with weird colourings.
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/b/blackbird/feathers.aspx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Gers
    Options
    Interesting read TA, never heard of that before.

Happygreen, great pics of a very grumpy looking eagle. Looks like one of those gnomes in the Harry Potter films.

There's a hide overlooking the canal and moss land near to me. This summer I will buy a better pair of binoculars and go to watch what's out there.

Meanwhile the garden birds have long gone 'to bed'. Tomorrow I have to get some plastic sheeting to cover up my possessions in the back outbuilding as it will be used later on by swallows. Want to encourage them back but not have my dried goods and tins pooped on!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure