We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• firefox1956
    Options
    Bit off topic but I once watched a rather large ugly rook try to get some sunflower hearts out of a feeder.
    It tried flying into the feeder quite a few times with no success then one day I was watching & the crafty sod was trying to lift the feeder off its hook.
    Could not believe the intelligence of the bird.
    About 2 hours later it had worked out how to unhooked the feeder.
    Got in onto the floor & scoffed the lot.
    Wired the feeder onto the hook the next day !!!!
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Interesting, I've got 3 this year for the first time ever. I put it down to my new niger seed feed but wonder if they are just on the increase. I also have 4 gold finches this year, on this and the sunflower feeder and they are new visitor too.

We had several redpolls last winter but none this. On the other hand we have had reed buntings this year for the second time in 8 years although we are nowhere near any reeds.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,045 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Caught this image one day by pure chance - was about to take a photo just of the view from the living room window and after I had clicked saw the two birds in the sky. Again, just on my iphone though this time the window was open.

[IMG][/img]Birdsonthewing.jpg

I have no idea if one bird was going to transfer the fish to other or it was about to be stolen! I just wish I was nearer / had a better camera / saw it again.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    what are they, ospreys?
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    torbrex wrote: »
    You could try breaking the peanuts up a bit before putting them in the wire cage.
    I am having to do that with the last bag that I bought as none of the birds were touching them, now they disappear as quickly as I can fill :o

I bought a feeder from Poundstretcher with nibbed peanuts already in and the birds were queuing up to eat them! I tried to buy some loose nibbed ones to refill it but have not found any. Meanwhile I am back to using ordinary nuts and for some reason the nuts in the front garden are eaten long before they have chance to go mouldy but the ones at the back need replacing regularly as they've gone off!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Gers
    Options
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    what are they, ospreys?

I think so, though I'm not an expert. there are nests on Jura which is just out of sight on the right hand side of the photo so it's not out of possiblities. I'm hoping that someone here can identify them.

Whatever they are the sight was just wonderful.
  • Gers
    Options
    I bought a feeder from Poundstretcher with nibbed peanuts already in and the birds were queuing up to eat them! I tried to buy some loose nibbed ones to refill it but have not found any. Meanwhile I am back to using ordinary nuts and for some reason the nuts in the front garden are eaten long before they have chance to go mouldy but the ones at the back need replacing regularly as they've gone off!

TA - I just bulk buy bird peanuts and bash them up with a rolling pin - in the garden! Buying nibbed peanuts is (for me) like buying ready sliced green beans, a time saver but a money waster.

My poor wee birds are having a real wind bashing again too, it's delightful to watch them hanging on and swaying in the wind.
  • Gers
    Options
    If you are near a branch of The Original Factory Shop they have a good offer on at the minute. 2 packs of 6 fat balls for £1. I got 10 packs making it 60 for £5. Already have a plastic fall ball bucket so just filled that. I too gave up messing about making them a while back.

Thanks TA. I found a branch of this shop yesterday and that offer was finished, but what I did buy was 500gr bag of mealworms (shudder) for £8.00. The same weight of them in the big 'shed' is going for £17.00 :eek: though their fat balls are £5.00 for 50.
  • Gers
    Options
    [IMG][/img]Backgarden21Feb.jpg

Turned the feeder round and now got a better view. And now OH has fixed the bird cam too.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    B & M still have the 12.7 kilo mixed seeds for £ 4.99 but factory shop is only £ 1 dearer if you don't have a B & M nearby. I'm glad I stocked up as it just started snowing!
    Yesterday was a garden day and a Wren flew out of the polytunnel when I opened the door :) I'm sure it would have found enough to eat in there for a few days, had I not come along ;)
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure