We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Here's what you saw
    Blackbird x3
    Blue tit x4
    Chaffinch x3
    Coal tit x1
    Dunnock x1
    Goldfinch x2
    Great tit x4
    House sparrow x1
    Long-tailed tit x1
    Robin x1
    Blackcap x1
    Grey squirrel seen daily
    Hedgehog seen less than monthly
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,094 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Well the pieces of apple off the ground are gone but the pieces on the ground are still there. None of the birds wanted the banana which is just mush now.

Will try the potato today. Birdwatch went well as I had 'hordes' of chaffinches and sparrows as well as eight pairs of goldfinches.
  • REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    My attempt to refill the empty coconut shells was a disaster...melted the lard, added seeds and filled them up. Then the stuff leaked out, seems the shells are porous and everything just seeped out, all over the kitchen bench.

Not happy!

I was thinking of trying that, thanks for the warning Gers!
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    My attempt to refill the empty coconut shells was a disaster...melted the lard, added seeds and filled them up. Then the stuff leaked out, seems the shells are porous and everything just seeped out, all over the kitchen bench.

Not happy!

You were too quick to put the mixture in the shell, it needs to cool down before you do it.
    If you want to make some, you can use the plastic tray the Muller yoghurt come in, just attach a bit of string first.

I use the plastic tray that the suet blocks come in and refill them with my own mixture, I also use toilet roll tubes with one end sealed with baking paper and the result fits nicely in the fat ball holder :)
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,094 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Torbrex, will try that next time. Was so annoyed yesterday.

Reen - that's the answer it seems. Just me being hasty, though the thought never passed between my ears!

Got more sultanas soaking. Potato steaming. Let's see if the birds take to it.

I saw on a website a kind of adapted kitchen hook for spearing an apple/potato/fat ball to and then hang from a tree. Almost bought one and then moved away from the idea. It's far too windy here and it was far too expensive for what it was, even though I liked it.
  • El_Capitan
    Options
    Hardly any birds on my birdwatch!
    Birds in my garden:
    Great tit x1
    Blue tit x1
    Wood pigeon x1
    Squirrel x1
    Neighbours cats x2

Birds happily playing in park behind with no knowledge of my garden:
    Blackbirds
    Crows
    Magpies
    Possible sparrow
    More pigeons

Birds flying past ignoring my garden:
    Ring necked parakeets
    Heron
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Parakeets , blimey Captain. You in the Bahamas.
    And ditto neighbours cat..
    Nothing exotic here, just sparrows, pigeons and starling. A few blackbirds.
  • El_Capitan
    Options
    No London - loads of them around here! Noisy blighters too.

Was hoping to see a second blue tit and a "small brown bird, not a blackbird" seen by my OH earlier in the week.

In the past we've even had Kingfishers on the back wall (there's a river on the other side) but I've not seen them for about a year. No idea what would tempt them in, maybe a tin of sardines?
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was unusually quiet yesterday except, wait for it..............

a sparrowhawk right outside my kitchen window! I didn't see what he caught but I assume it was a Wren as I saw another lonely one later on.

Other than that, we had 2 crows, stealing hen food, 1 pheasant, doing the same ;), roughly 18 sparrrows, hard to count!, 3 robins and 4 blackbirds (no sign of the male with the white wing feathers)
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Sad, HG, a Wren, should have had a crow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure