We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Have read Dannie, about dried food swelling up inside the birds, otherwise not sure.
    Maybe soak porridge oats first.
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a pack of dried mealworms from B&Ms at the weekend and the birds love them.

I had a look at the peanut feeder and the ones towards the bottom are looking rather grotty. Will the birds still eat them or should I empty it out and put fresh in ?
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ken68, thanks for your reply.

I've been reading similar things. Probably will avoid any cereal ideas just in case?
  • El_Capitan
    Options
    I'm going to join this thread :)

Put my first feeder up on sunday and had a couple of tits take an interest. I'm planning on doing the RSPB birdwatch at the weekend.

I got my feed from poundland - the peanuts seem to be the favourite, they're not fussed about the seed mix.

If anyone wants a new birdtable/feeding station Robert Dyas has some really good deals at the moment. Stations (incl. feeders) for £7.49 and a bird table for the same.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Welcome El Capitan.
    Just seen a blackbird, all fluffed up, looks like he needed an overcoat.
    Noticed the other day that B and M are sill doing the cheap bird seed,. About £5 for 12.5kg, and birds are getting thru these cheap taters I bought from Morrisons £2 for 12.5kg.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I managed to catch lovely Mr. pheasant on my phone. How do I upload a photo?? I don't seem to see a symbol for it....
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    upload to flickr and add a link
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,094 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    ljonski wrote: »
    upload to flickr and add a link

Or Photobucket. Then copy the link given, when writing a post there is a little yellow and back square on the format strip. Click thst and then paste your link in it.

I'm going to try feeding the birds a little potato, just add a bit of variety and stop me buying expensive stuff all the time. Think the price of those half coconut shells are outrageous so gave bought some lard and will experiment with making my own - got two empty shells lying around in the garden. So far the are enjoying soaked dried fruit and chopped up grapes.

We'll be doing Birdwatch count this weekend, may need more fingers as sometimes I can see about eight - ten goldfinches, roughly 20 chaffinches, umpteen tits of different varities and one blackbird. Of course the very second I come into view they all zoom off in a panic. Funnily enough the first ones back are the blue tits and sometimes one will look at me for a while before continuing to feed. Only opening the back door clears the garden, and the tree, completely.
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    **Suet is great for cold Birds**
    Good quality fat and suet really does help birds survive the difficulties of sub zero temperatures
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    At the moment the big hits with the birds in my garden are the peanuts, seed mix and suet blocks (£1.69 for 3 in Poundstretcher)
    The seed mix I use is a 'no-grow' mix from Country Wild, 15kg for £21 to which I add some suet pellets and meal worms.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure