We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,048 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 22 November 2014 at 6:57PM
    Options
    That's a fantastic photo, so charming. Thanks for sharing it.

Here is ( I think) my adventurous thrush. Don't think it had much success. Photo taken through a window and by phone.

[IMG][/img]Birdonfeeder.jpg

Have also got one blackbird visiting and, like the collared doves, eating the droppings on the ground.
  • rceebear
    rceebear Posts: 2,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think that is a European Starling:
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/s/starling/
    Good to see as although many dislike them for mobbing bird feeders, they are in decline. We get a lot at this time of year cleaning up spilt feed (the nuthatch is fussy so makes a mess to get to the bits he likes) and sitting in the large Ash tree in the garden. They are also quite noisy and good mimics so often sound like other birds and even car alarms.
    Best wins - GoPro, £2K, Brittany week, festival tix, Bath break, Sweden spa break, iPhone x2, £250 Amazon x2, tech bundle, 55" TV, Haven break, £1K, Smeg mixer, 3 night spa break, Greenhouse, posh tent, house plants, 2 pairs boots, posh mattress, year tailored supplements, £250 lingerie
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,048 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    rceebear wrote: »
    I think that is a European Starling:
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/s/starling/
    Good to see as although many dislike them for mobbing bird feeders, they are in decline. We get a lot at this time of year cleaning up spilt feed (the nuthatch is fussy so makes a mess to get to the bits he likes) and sitting in the large Ash tree in the garden. They are also quite noisy and good mimics so often sound like other birds and even car alarms.

Goodness, I had no idea that starlings where so big so thanks for the info. I think this is the bird which brought it's chicks around to try to feed in spring. There were about five chicks and the big one all sitting on the top part of the feeder looking at the food and trying to work out how to get at it.

Once again, thanks.
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We now have goldfinches visiting and I've finally seen our elusive wood pecker this morning. They are currently all acting like crack addicts for sunflower hearts! We typically have 20+ tits in the pear tree, a couple of nuthatches, sparrows and goldfinches all waiting for the sunflower heart feeder. The ribin watches them from his little dish and I think feels quite smug he has no competition. They're gradually going to the new feeders I boyghtbut the attraction of a donut shaped feeder full of their fave sunflower hearts isn't yet attracting them!
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all can I join in please.

I have a seed feeder with sunflower hearts in, squirrel proof so only really used by the great tits, blue tits, coal tits and nuthatch, sparrow and robin occassionally try. What is the best way to include them and the blackbirds? Having cats I try to avoid floor feeding. Thanks.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Welcome Dusty.. Some birds are ground feeders only and thought robins amongst them, but live and learn.
    My neighbours older cat just looks at the birds these days.
  • rceebear
    rceebear Posts: 2,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We have cats too so don't ground feed apart from in harsh winters. Although there is always a certain amount of spillage that the chickens usually clear, as well as starlings and sometimes wood pigeon. In the snowy winters we had flocks of goldfinch and siskin ground feed but I guess they were desperate and the cats stayed in a lot.

I've read that birds learn to keep a look out when there are cats in the neighbourhood. We have five cats and rarely have adult birds killed in our garden. Sadly it is always the young in spring but not many. We have two loud bells on each cat and have tried keeping them as indoor cats but it resulted in health (some wouldn't toilet inside so got urinary tract infections) and behavioural issues (others toileted everywhere inc the beds in protest).

We have a high bird table which did have a roof and guard to keep the cats off. I think the roof (& guard as it was attached) failed and wasn't replaced. The wood peckers and jay like to feed off it without the roof though and the guard was too fine to allow them to use it. We have a one legged jay and a one eye magpie that use it and they know the cats are around so won't use it is they are in the garden. If you could use a tall table put it somewhere in the open where the cats can't ambush it.

For blackbirds and others we try to grow food for them, such as, ivy (for the berries) on the trees and also up the bird table (it is on a large wooden stake). Also, pyracantha
    (http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/wildlifegarden/atoz/f/firethorn.aspx ) black & red currant, blueberry, raspberry, again for the berries but also look good and if you get in fast the currants taste good too. We have planted a plum tree a few years back that the robins liked this year. We had loads of fruit too but left some for the birds. The chickens would also pick their own by jumping and flapping under it!
    Hi all can I join in please.

I have a seed feeder with sunflower hearts in, squirrel proof so only really used by the great tits, blue tits, coal tits and nuthatch, sparrow and robin occassionally try. What is the best way to include them and the blackbirds? Having cats I try to avoid floor feeding. Thanks.
    Best wins - GoPro, £2K, Brittany week, festival tix, Bath break, Sweden spa break, iPhone x2, £250 Amazon x2, tech bundle, 55" TV, Haven break, £1K, Smeg mixer, 3 night spa break, Greenhouse, posh tent, house plants, 2 pairs boots, posh mattress, year tailored supplements, £250 lingerie
  • UnluckyT
    UnluckyT Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    i second pyracantha for the berries, ive 2 small bushes at the moment of this. ive incorporated it into a holly hedge to try and help the wildlife. the hedge ive only just started, but fingers crossed in a few years it will have filled out.
  • REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our rowan has been very popular with blackbirds and starlings for some weeks now. It's the yellow berried one, seems to be less popular at first than neighbour's red berried one but extends the season.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,612 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Wow my birds are really hungry at the moment, will have to start buying some cheap bread soon, running through my scraps and bird seed/nuts quite fast.

Within about 10 mins of putting food out yesterday for the ground feeders had blackbird, collared doves, wood pigeons, starlings, a crow and a few sparrows.

The chaffinches of both sexes have been coming back too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure