We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anybody suggest a supplier of bird tables at reasonable cost?

I could try and make one, I suppose, and I cobbled together my own wood store, but I'm not a particularly handy lass when it comes to making things. Thanks if you have any ideas.

I would ask for one on the local freegle and freecycle groups first, maybe you can get one for free? Then check gumtree and last the local DIY stores which are probably cheaper than garden centres.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    Thanks to those who commented about bird tables: just ordered one and some nesting boxes from greenfingers.com. Under ten quid in their sale so worth a punt. They've got some cheap nesting boxes with little pots of paint to decorate, ideal little kids' presents, so a couple bought for the next-door neighbour's children.
  • REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got one of those bird boxes. It's very small, ok to occupy kids painting it but doubt it's big enough for even a wren to raise a family! Might make a snug winter roost though.
  • UnluckyT
    UnluckyT Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    in the bargain buys locally to me, you can get a tub of 50 netted fat balls for £4.99.
    will be getting one soon and see how i get on.
    ive a resident robin and wondering if 'robin' will need the food on a ground feeder or be okay with the food hanging up?
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Mostly ground feeders I think Unlucky. On the platform should be OK.
    Have had one on the spade when winter digging.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just bought a large bag of mixed seeds at B & M, still £ 4.99.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,611 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I have fat ball feeders and my robin often clears up the crumbs underneath that have dropped to the ground.

You could crumble the balls and feed wholly on the ground instead of putting them in a feeder.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2014 at 3:42PM
    Options
    UnluckyT wrote: »
    in the bargain buys locally to me, you can get a tub of 50 netted fat balls for £4.99.
    will be getting one soon and see how i get on.
    ive a resident robin and wondering if 'robin' will need the food on a ground feeder or be okay with the food hanging up?

best on the ground for him right now, but, put it up and he will find it,;);)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone, we have a few bird feeders in the garden and have blue tits, great tits, long tailed ones, robins and sparrows. Lots of blackbirds too that nest in our hedges every year. We have also had a couple of greenfinchs visit this year, but they have met their end sadly....lots of cats in the neighbourhood. Last weekend I also saw a nuthatch sitting on top of the feeding station and I was sooooo excited. I love it when a new bird visits. We had black caps last year but they haven't returned this year. We also have woodpeckers that visit but they hide from us mainly!
    We bought two new bird feeders two weeks ago though as our others were looking worn-moved them to less visible areas; but since putting the new feeders out we haven't had any birds on them...is this quite usual?
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    I would probably put one of them back in the original position. Before a feeder becomes used, birds will do reckies on how safe it is and whether there is an escape route if attacked. They need somewhere high up to observe the feeder, so hanging from branches is a good place for it to be situated.
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure