We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Nice pics. Gers, a treat for the eyes.
  • Babafette
    Babafette Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Fantastic photos thanks Gers. I've only ever seen a red squirrel once when I was hiking in the Lake District - I wasn't quick enough so I only saw its backside as it ran off! :D

We do often see an albino squirrel in our garden in Surrey though.
    Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.... :/
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, I've only just discovered this thread, can I join in , please?
    Lovely pictures, Gers , I love red squirrels (and birds ;) ). The only squirrel here was a grey one, scaring me to death by climbing around the brambles outside my kitchen window, I'm glad it decided not to hang around....

We have ducks and chickens so the wild birds help themselves all year round to feed. This year we've had hundreds of baby sparrows! With them come the hawks...I also remember Robins, Goldfinches and Yellowhammers, Warblers and Wrens just outside my office window.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,095 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Happygreen wrote: »
    Hello, I've only just discovered this thread, can I join in , please?
    Lovely pictures, Gers , I love red squirrels (and birds ;) ). The only squirrel here was a grey one, scaring me to death by climbing around the brambles outside my kitchen window, I'm glad it decided not to hang around....

We have ducks and chickens so the wild birds help themselves all year round to feed. This year we've had hundreds of baby sparrows! With them come the hawks...I also remember Robins, Goldfinches and Yellowhammers, Warblers and Wrens just outside my office window.

That's a great selection Happygreen. Had loads of sparrows too, even think they've had a second brood, one robin. Loads of goldfinches and siskins with at least family of thrushes.

In 2011 the peanuts even attracted a magnificent !!!! pheasant who patrolled his land every day plus a visit from a fabulous pine marten. I have the pics on my laptop so will try to get them posted over the weekend. Also had a woodpecker eating the peanuts one year, must have kept the pic.

I get a huge amount of pleasure from the birds and watching them on the feeders.
  • Gers
    Options
    The preening cockpheasant.

[IMG][/img]IMG_0160.jpg

A magnificent pine marten

[IMG][/img]IMG_0491.jpg

And a fabulous jay - though I hate the way they hop!

[IMG][/img]IMG_0641.jpg

Not seen anything like this selection this year. These all came to the holiday cottage which we no longer go to. Mind you our 'new' home is about 400 yards aways so I'm hopeful that some will reappear eventually. All these pictures were taken through a window.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I can'r match that in any way, those pics are fantastic, but in my case, that !!!! pheasant would have been dinner, :o:o:o, sorry.

But, today in the garden (and totally shifting the focus);
    We have a small orchard that we miss-manage, there are many windfall rotting pears under the trees. We had about 50 red admiral butterflies on the fruit and then sunning themselves with wings wide spread on the hedges. It is the first time I've seen so many in a group, glorious.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can anyone help me please?

I want to buy some peanuts for the birds/wildlife. Does anyone know where the cheapest place is to buy them? I don't want to buy in great quantities.
  • Gers
    Options
    Well, I can'r match that in any way, those pics are fantastic, but in my case, that !!!! pheasant would have been dinner, :o:o:o, sorry.

But, today in the garden (and totally shifting the focus);
    We have a small orchard that we miss-manage, there are many windfall rotting pears under the trees. We had about 50 red admiral butterflies on the fruit and then sunning themselves with wings wide spread on the hedges. It is the first time I've seen so many in a group, glorious.

All those butterflies would have been magnificent to see - we all have different glories in our gardens.

The pheasant was too lovely to shoot, he came about three times a day with his chest all puffed out and making his man noises to find any females. Don't think he was too successful as the estate hadn't laid any chicks out that year. Someone somewhere will have got him.

The pine marten was such a weird joy - the pics are taken from inside the bathroom. As I was attending to my morning 'ablutions' all the birds flew off from the feeders in a panic, I looked down and there s/he was! Eating the fallen peanuts.

Aren't gardens just great for wildlife. Thanks for all the pics being shared.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    iris wrote: »
    Can anyone help me please?

I want to buy some peanuts for the birds/wildlife. Does anyone know where the cheapest place is to buy them? I don't want to buy in great quantities.

Poundshop or B and M, I would think Iris. Not the main supermarkets. Pet Shops might be worth a try. And nuts go up in price closer to Christmas.
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Poundshop or B and M, I would think Iris. Not the main supermarkets. Pet Shops might be worth a try. And nuts go up in price closer to Christmas.

Thank you for your help Ken. I shall be near a B&M on Wednesday, so will have a look then. Have tried Pets at Home, but they were very expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure