We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,165 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Typical, on here you can't mention a type of Donkey that Jesus rode on, a backside way of saying a!s, :rotfl::rotfl:

Try writing the two words as one! I was involved with setting up email filters at work once (just helping not techie) and found that by writing out all the bad words - even the very very worst ones - as one long word it got through the filters. :j Sort of like thebluetitsare wonderful this year kind of thing!

Yes, it seems to be house sparrows feasting on the peanuts - siskins and goldfinches almost non-existent at the moment. There are blackbirds too and, I think, some thrushes still. Some very raggedly birds around, all rough edges and fluffy bits hanging off.

Sadly the swallows nesting in my outhouse didn't have any babies. Do I need to climb up the ladder to see if there are any eggs there still? If so do I remove them or leave alone?
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Try writing the two words as one! I was involved with setting up email filters at work once (just helping not techie) and found that by writing out all the bad words - even the very very worst ones - as one long word it got through the filters. :j Sort of like thebluetitsare wonderful this year kind of thing!

Yes, it seems to be house sparrows feasting on the peanuts - siskins and goldfinches almost non-existent at the moment. There are blackbirds too and, I think, some thrushes still. Some very raggedly birds around, all rough edges and fluffy bits hanging off.

Sadly the swallows nesting in my outhouse didn't have any babies. Do I need to climb up the ladder to see if there are any eggs there still? If so do I remove them or leave alone?

"backsideway of sayingass,"

Seems to work:rotfl::rotfl:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    Doesnt seem to work for S!!!!horpe!
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • cyclonebri1
    Options
    ljonski wrote: »

That's the classic 1, I love it, :rotfl::rotfl:, there isn't a swear filter on the net that the unfortunates from Scumthorne get by.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

• Gers
    edited 8 August 2014 at 5:55PM
    Options
    ljonski wrote: »

Howabouts!!!!horpeperhaps this works?

Nope. Think the filter is set to recognise that particular combination in thst particular order of any word. Something has to work.

😱😱
    Anyway, back to my swallows? Any advice? Good or bad?
  • cyclonebri1
    Options
    So the koi carp pellets are good food for the birds and poison for rats?

Haven't got any rats here, thank goodness!

More peanuts being eaten now so need to find a more cost effective source. Still, cheap pleasure .

😄

Sorry, just picked up on this after reading back a few posts.

Yes, they are deadly to rats but only after being embedded into a piece of Mars bar and set on a trap:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I mentioned ponds and you mentioned herons.

I went out of my way to make my pond primarily child proof, and as a result of that heron proof.

I still see them circling at the crack of dawn, we have several small ponds nearby, and several times have seen them sat on the pond edge,

Didn't get your swallow issues, we have dozens, they nest under the eaves of a stable block opposite, then sit on out overhead tele cables, great to see

• Gers
    Options

Swallows nest. No rats, thank goodness. Just a load of birds!
  • Gers
    Options
    Heard a commotion out in the back garden, went to look and saw this in my spruce tree.

[IMG][/img]Raptorinthetree.jpg

It's a raptor of some sort - my guess is a sparrow hawk but I'm not an expert. Funnily enough, the swallows began to bomb it, hitting it on the nose and body. The raptor didn't move.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Looks to have a forked tail.
  • Gers
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Looks to have a forked tail.

What raptor has that?

Some of the tiny little swallows actually made full contact with this bird, about six birds were going for it. Sorry for the fuzzy pic, it's through my kitchen window and only on my iPad, no proper camera to hand.

Certainly lifted my Saturdsy evening.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family