We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,165 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The consumption rate of bird feed has slowed down a lot. Whilst there is still feeding going on the birds are not doing it constantly anymore. My theory is that now that most chicks have fledged parents aren't giving them them the insects etc which they catch. Course, I could be way wrong.

��
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Can't resist writing about this...just spent a lovely ten minutes watching six young blackbirds and the female line up on my feeding station. Then the female tried hard and eventually got a hold of a perch and gobble some sunflower seeds. Then she let her flock try. Great fluttering, much flapping of wings and not a lot of actual feeding.

We've got a female blackbird who has perfected a new technique to get our blackberries. She flies straight into the bush, gets her beak round a berry, folds her wings and drops to the ground while keeping a grip on the berry which pulls it off the plant.

We're going to have protect the blackberries next year or there won't be any left for us!
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have had loads of starlings and sparrows, plus blue and great tits, a greenfinch, a pair of goldfinches and a woodpecker.
    There are quite a lot of tiny, young sparrows, which sit on the top of our fence, flapping their wings wildly, whilst waiting for mum/dad to come back and deposit food into their mouths.
    The young starlings OTOH, are larger than the adults but do not have the irredescent colours.
    If I could only work out how to post pictures I would. I have a Flickr account but would rather use something elese.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    We have had loads of starlings and sparrows, plus blue and great tits, a greenfinch, a pair of goldfinches and a woodpecker.
    There are quite a lot of tiny, young sparrows, which sit on the top of our fence, flapping their wings wildly, whilst waiting for mum/dad to come back and deposit food into their mouths.
    The young starlings OTOH, are larger than the adults but do not have the irredescent colours.
    If I could only work out how to post pictures I would. I have a Flickr account but would rather use something elese.

I always think that the juvenile starlings are very pretty.

We are very lucky as we get 32 different species of birds in our very rural garden. My favourite are robins and we have had some very sweet and inquisitive robins chicks this year.

How about trying photobucket for posting pictures? If you do sign up to photobucket then pm me and I can let you know step-by-step how to post pics.
  • Bunnygirl
    Bunnygirl Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had to get a new bird table as the old one was falling apart. Now no birds are coming into the garden now been about 3 weeks hoping they might come back soon.
    I would like to be a glow-worm.
    A glow-worm's never glum.
    Its hard to be downhearted when the sun shines out your bum.
  • Slubberd
    Slubberd Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Bunnygirl wrote: »
    I had to get a new bird table as the old one was falling apart. Now no birds are coming into the garden now been about 3 weeks hoping they might come back soon.

They will Bunnygirl - I changed my table to a feeding station two years ago and it took a good few weeks.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,165 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As I haven't been home in ten days my feeding stations were empty. I filled them last night and the garden is buzzing with birds again. :j

Noticed that the peanuts are getting more attention when at a remove from the main station.

Also saw today a number of birds clinging to the back wall of the garden. It's stone so I can only imagine that they are feeding on insects living in the cracks.

Lovin' this pastime!
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    It's the house sparrows that are mopping up the feeder peanuts at mine, they are much more acceptable at the bird table now their numbers have declined.

I'm afraid the cats are getting fat in my garden, this years offspring are way too unwary. Loads of song thrushes and many juvenile robins. Blackbirds are doing well too.

Keep finding the remains or doves and 2 woodies so far, also a young thrush.

Yesterday I was physically having to shoo of a young robin that seemed intent on getting his feathers trimmed by the lawn mower.

Over the 17 years we have been at this property there have been a group of semi albino blackbirds breeding in the surrounding area. White patches on the rump and wings, always a few each year but I thought they's just about bred out but again when moving the grass yesterday there was 1 of this years with pure white tail feathers, nice to see.;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Crinkmeister
    Options
    Our sparrows must have moved on since I'm not topping the feeders up daily now. I wonder where they have gone? I notice you can say tits on here - some websites *** the word out - very confusing when you have to say blue bosom birds!!
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Our sparrows must have moved on since I'm not topping the feeders up daily now. I wonder where they have gone? I notice you can say tits on here - some websites *** the word out - very confusing when you have to say blue bosom birds!!

Typical, on here you can't mention a type of Donkey that Jesus rode on, a backside way of saying a!s, :rotfl::rotfl:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family