We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Am waiting for my neighbour to surface, she would know.
    Otherwise in Google "Raptors with fork tails", the first pictures.
  • Ken68
    Options
    Neighbour not sure. The 'forked tail' could be part of the wing of a peregrine. Could be a kite. Well spotted whatever.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    What raptor has that?

Some of the tiny little swallows actually made full contact with this bird, about six birds were going for it. Sorry for the fuzzy pic, it's through my kitchen window and only on my iPad, no proper camera to hand.

Certainly lifted my Saturdsy evening.

I had 1 of those too., :(:(:(
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,165 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Neighbour not sure. The 'forked tail' could be part of the wing of a peregrine. Could be a kite. Well spotted whatever.

My research comes up with either a marsh harrier or young kite. I was excited to see it but don't want it to think my garden is it's fast food drive through!
  • Ken68
    Options
    The Marsh Harriers I see around here are big brown jobs.so probably a Kite.
  • cyclonebri1
    Options
    Difficult to tell but looks too small for a Kite??

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

• Gers
    Options
    Now had the bird identified as a hen harrier - they are breeding about a mile away. Farmer's wife told me yesterday.

Last week I saw the bird catch a young crow and hold it to the ground, then the crow got away and the hen harrier just swooped in and caught it again.

I think my garden birds are safe because the garden is an enclosed space and the hen harrier may find it difficult to maneovure without banging into a wall.

Last week I scattered some unwanted linseeds and the birds loved them - first choice for most of them.
  • cyclonebri1
    Options
    I wouldn't recognise 1 if I saw 1 either, :D, nice to know though

• Gers
    Options
    Just found that some cheeky birds have found the bags of food in the outbuilding and pecked holes in them to get to the seeds. I'm not sure if I'm impressed or flabbergasted.

The Robin is now back and hanging about both the front and back of the house. His little breast is very red indeed. I know they are ground feeders so will get some mealworms (yeugh) for him.

Got loads of starlings now too. They don't half squabble with each other in the air. Whilst they're busy fighting the others nip in for a clear field. 😄

So much pleasure for so little effort!
  • cyclonebri1
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Now had the bird identified as a hen harrier - they are breeding about a mile away. Farmer's wife told me yesterday.

Last week I saw the bird catch a young crow and hold it to the ground, then the crow got away and the hen harrier just swooped in and caught it again.

I think my garden birds are safe because the garden is an enclosed space and the hen harrier may find it difficult to maneovure without banging into a wall.

Last week I scattered some unwanted linseeds and the birds loved them - first choice for most of them.

Just thought about this again, without looking it all up is there a hen harrier, or is it a marsh harrier or similar, ie does the !!!! harrier exist

Edit;

MSE doesn't like Coc*

I meant *ock harrier

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family