We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• Babafette
    Babafette Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    We love watching the birds on our feeders. For the last year or so we've been using Peckish Daily Goodness Nuggets and the birds absolutely love it. :)

I've managed to get quite a few good photos this year of the diners including blue tits, great tits, coal tits, chaffinches, long tailed tits, robins, black caps and even woodpeckers. The blackbirds like to snaffle some too. :rotfl:

IMG_0776_zps38caff68.jpg
    Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.... :/
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,095 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Great picture, thanks for posting it. I too have had a woodpecker and even a very intrepid red squirrel. Will search for the photos and post them over the weekend. I really enjoy watching them all.

Tonight there were about thirty swallows all sitting on a telegraph wire twittering away, then they all took off and began their evening dance.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello! I thought I would pop in here as for the first time we are hoping to provide bird food all year round in our garden but I have no idea what foods suit at each time of the year and we are on a tight budget so would like to be as frugal as possible!

So what sort of things should be providing over autumn?
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Great picture, thanks for posting it. I too have had a woodpecker and even a very intrepid red squirrel. Will search for the photos and post them over the weekend. I really enjoy watching them all.

Tonight there were about thirty swallows all sitting on a telegraph wire twittering away, then they all took off and began their evening dance.

I got halfway through the post and had to check the date, our's left about 3 weeks ago.
    Then I checked your location and all makes sense. I've never seen a red squirrel in the wild, just the dam grey devils.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Rummer wrote: »
    Hello! I thought I would pop in here as for the first time we are hoping to provide bird food all year round in our garden but I have no idea what foods suit at each time of the year and we are on a tight budget so would like to be as frugal as possible!

So what sort of things should be providing over autumn?

Hi Rummer..something from the wild I suppose, fruit, grass seed aplenty now. Keep trying different things until.
    My benchmark price for wild bird food is 50p kg. but it means shopping around.
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Rummer. This apparently has been a good Summer for the collection of wild fruits and berries. You could possible think about planting something in your gardenthat bears fruit for next year instead!
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ljonski wrote: »
    Hi Rummer. This apparently has been a good Summer for the collection of wild fruits and berries. You could possible think about planting something in your gardenthat bears fruit for next year instead!

Our garden is already full of fruit bushes and the birds have had their fair share :D
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • UnluckyT
    UnluckyT Posts: 486 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2014 at 4:16PM
    Options
    i tend to go to the £1 or 99p or bargain buy shops for my bird bits, i tend to shop between them depending what on offer as theyre the cheapest places for me where i am it seems.
    i make my own mix when i can with a basic bird seed mix, dried meal worms, suet nibbles, sunflower hearts/seeds depending on money but the birds seem to like it.
    im going to try and save up for shrubs that are good for a wildlife garden and a fruit tree.
  • Gers
    Options
    I got halfway through the post and had to check the date, our's left about 3 weeks ago.
    Then I checked your location and all makes sense. I've never seen a red squirrel in the wild, just the dam grey devils.

[IMG][/img]IMG_0756.jpg

Not from this year. Haven't managed to get my camera out in time this year.
  • Gers
    Options
    And another from a previous year:

[IMG][/img]IMG_0629.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income