We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,611 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Gers wrote: »

At the moment the birds are being brave and clinging to the feeders as they sway around, sometimes almost going horizontal, in the high winds. Great fun to watch.

I sat on a low wall this morning waiting for the bus, I am no lightweight but swear the wind actually moved me a few inches along the wall :rotfl:

Still had the blue tits in clinging to the fat ball feeder today, they come several times a day no matter the weather.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Cooking a gammon now Hoarse, so birds Christmas prezzie sorted.
  • UnluckyT
    UnluckyT Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    I've got 2 jays visiting the feeders of my downstairs neighbour's. Never had them visit before, so keen to keep seeing other birds in area.
    I must make sure I remember to keep putting the food out for them.
    Ive Got shrubs for the Bees And butterflies from the pound shop. Their potted up indoors at the moment to get a bit bigger and for the better weather.
  • Ken68
    Options
    Feeding them taters now plus fat balls. Some seed, and digging over earth for the ground feeders.
  • Ken68
    Options
    Just off now to get some cheap potatoes from Morrisons £2 for 12.5kg.
    Birds seem to like them and something I can use myself.
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you cook the potatoes first, before giving them to the birds ?
  • Kev27
    Kev27 Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 January 2015 at 4:47PM
    Options
    Has anyone noticed the Huge increase in Coal tits this year? (The little beautiful black & white birds with the black & white heads) ive got a few that come to my feeders in the garden, they seem to be friends with the Robins as they sometimes turn up at the same time and dont mind eachother at all. They absolutely love the Coconut half fat feeder and always head to that first, but they also have a little nibble of the seed from the feeders too.
    The Robins dont like the coconut feeder and prefer to head straight for the seed feeder.
    Ive not seen Coal Tits in my area before this year (Merseyside) but yesterday i went shopping to my local busy town centre and there were hundreds of Coal tits in a tree right in the middle of town, all tweeting away and on the look out for people dropping food. They seem to be the new scavengers in town as we don't see as many pigeons anymore around here, and i can not remember the last time i seen a Sparrow.
  • Ken68
    Options
    Yes Cally..I steam them, more for my convenience though, no need to peel.
  • REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, Kev27, first time I've seen coal tits here too. Ours go about with the gang of their blue, long-tailed and great relatives.
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 January 2015 at 7:05AM
    Options
    Hello,

I've been following this thread with interest. The birds in my garden are starlings, sparrows, blackbirds, a robin and a wren in that order. Do you ever put out foods like oats or other cereal items? I am considering low cost but healthy ideas purchased from large supermarkets and these are perhaps some examples? Or, any other ideas please.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport