Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)

Options

Comments

• Claremac
    Options
    I've just bought an iPad Mini 2 cellular and am in need of a Nano SIM for it. I don't know how much data I'm going to need yet as I'll obviously use it on wifi at home but what I'm thinking is to get a pre-loaded SIM to start with and work out how much data I use in the first few months. Can I use any pre-loaded SIM in it or does it have to be a data-only one designed for tablets? It seems cheaper to go for the ones you can also use in a phone. Thanks for any help.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,627 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sleepymans wrote: »
    Hi there
    I have been trying to pin down a good deal for light use of an unlocked phone to provide unlimited calls and texts only (dont use data at all- ever)

At the moment I have Tesco 500 mins calls and unlimited texts for £10 p.m.
    I would prefer a contract rather than PAYG.
    Any tips from you (young) tech-savvy members would be gratefully received.
    Cheers
    Sleepy

Three costs £7 for lowest price contract.

You may be able to get a better deal with another network if they will apply a discount to their base price.

I just got unlimited mins/text contract with Vodafone with 5Gb data for £11 per month which is 50% off the standard price.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think virgin is £5 per month.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TalkTalkk currently have an offer of:

2000 minutes
    unlimited text messages
    4gb data

12 month contract: £10.00 per month

monthly roling contract: £11.25

the offer is open until 19th January 2015, and is only available to existing customerrs of talktalk.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • Ghaffaar
    Options
    A new mobile network announced by three UK

A few paragraphs from articles about this new network

3UK announced on Tuesday it is hosting a brand new virtual operator on its network, JOi Telecom: a SIM-only player offering modular price plans that has eyes on Europe's consumer mobile market.

Three has announced that it will be bringing a new SIM-only MVNO to the UK.
    JOi Telecom will be powered by the operator's Three Wholesale network, providing customers with wholesale texts, minutes and data.
    Owned by Dutch-based direct telecoms seller ACN Europe, JOi Telecom will also launch in France before rolling out to other European countries "in the coming months".
    The company is offering a basic tariff of £9.90 per month for 12 months which comes with 400 minutes, 400 texts, and 400 MB of data, although users can add extra minutes, texts and data via JOi's 'Boost' packages.
    These include unlimited voice and unlimited SMS packages, which will cost £4 per month and £1 per month respectively, and well as a monthly data allowance upgrade to 3GB for £6 per month.
    Alex Bennett, vice president of product management at ACN, previously best known for its direct line services, said, "JOi Telecom's simple proposition brings something new to the mobile market, putting the power of choice and flexibility in customer's hands."
    "Choosing Three as our partner means JOi and our customers are powered by the mobile network that carries more data in the UK than any other. Not only will JOi customers benefit from an attractive launch promotion pricing, they also receive great UK-wide coverage on the Three network."

"We're really excited by JOi Telecom's unique distribution model and fresh, flexible consumer proposition," said Lynda Burton, director of Three Wholesale, which also provides connections for M2M services, including a recent deal with HP and Fogg Mobile to power tablets, notebooks and Chromebooks under the former's HP DataPass brand.
    "JOi Telecom joins our growing collection of innovative wholesale partners, powered by Three's award-winning network."

if you have any questions, or a direct link to the site please drop me a message. Since im a new user I cannot insert links
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    Ghaffaar wrote: »
    A new mobile network announced by three UK

A few paragraphs from articles about this new network

3UK announced on Tuesday it is hosting a brand new virtual operator on its network, JOi Telecom: a SIM-only player offering modular price plans that has eyes on Europe's consumer mobile market.

Three has announced that it will be bringing a new SIM-only MVNO to the UK.
    JOi Telecom will be powered by the operator's Three Wholesale network, providing customers with wholesale texts, minutes and data.
    Owned by Dutch-based direct telecoms seller ACN Europe, JOi Telecom will also launch in France before rolling out to other European countries "in the coming months".
    The company is offering a basic tariff of £9.90 per month for 12 months which comes with 400 minutes, 400 texts, and 400 MB of data, although users can add extra minutes, texts and data via JOi's 'Boost' packages.
    These include unlimited voice and unlimited SMS packages, which will cost £4 per month and £1 per month respectively, and well as a monthly data allowance upgrade to 3GB for £6 per month.
    Alex Bennett, vice president of product management at ACN, previously best known for its direct line services, said, "JOi Telecom's simple proposition brings something new to the mobile market, putting the power of choice and flexibility in customer's hands."
    "Choosing Three as our partner means JOi and our customers are powered by the mobile network that carries more data in the UK than any other. Not only will JOi customers benefit from an attractive launch promotion pricing, they also receive great UK-wide coverage on the Three network."

"We're really excited by JOi Telecom's unique distribution model and fresh, flexible consumer proposition," said Lynda Burton, director of Three Wholesale, which also provides connections for M2M services, including a recent deal with HP and Fogg Mobile to power tablets, notebooks and Chromebooks under the former's HP DataPass brand.
    "JOi Telecom joins our growing collection of innovative wholesale partners, powered by Three's award-winning network."

if you have any questions, or a direct link to the site please drop me a message. Since im a new user I cannot insert links

That is more expensive than joining Three lol
  • digitaldai
    Options
    currently have:

talk talk for landline/broadband paid 1 year in advance and 2 mobiles on the talktalk £3.5 a month sim only deal, is there any thing like this out there from other companies? coming to the end of our deal

Moneysaving expert removed a lot of the super cheap deals after some of the free sim providers went bust in 2014?

many thanks
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    digitaldai wrote: »
    currently have:

talk talk for landline/broadband paid 1 year in advance and 2 mobiles on the talktalk £3.5 a month sim only deal, is there any thing like this out there from other companies? coming to the end of our deal

Moneysaving expert removed a lot of the super cheap deals after some of the free sim providers went bust in 2014?

many thanks

what do you get for £3.50 a month from talktalk?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could have a look at Vectone.

They do sims (EE network) and landlines. Dunno about broadband.
  • digitaldai
    Options
    200mb data
    100 mins talk
    250 sms
    +free calls to other talktalk mobiles (my wife!)

I think it may be more both in money paid and what they give you now.

Paying upfront for a years land line rental has become a lot less of a bargain than it was last year looking at it quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure