Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)

Options

Comments

• antispam246
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    What do you mean?
    Is Moneysupermarket not just one of many comparison sites?

That said, some comparison sites can have exclusive deals listed.

I mean why aren't those deals at mobiles.co.uk listed here on MSE or on the spreadsheet? Infact if you search this entire thread there's not a single mention of mobiles.co.uk other than me, now.
    What thoughts if you've already done this before?

Many. Google mobiles.co.uk and you'll understand. It's the exact thing websites like MSE are for. The feedback is very hit and miss and on the whole negative. I've done cashback schemes like this in the past, e2save, as much hassle as it can be it worked out in the end, however that was many years ago. Things change, hence asking.

Anyway, for me personally it's irrelevant now, I've chosen a deal elsewhere, may still be of use to anyone is a similar position however. I managed to negociate with vodafone and get the XXL Red (highest package) for £23p/m so I'm happy with that as I can now cancel 3 contracts, including a mobile broadband one and have 20gb allowance with tethering which is spot on for me and partner.
  • ZhugeEX
    ZhugeEX Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    The feedback is very hit and miss and on the whole negative.

That's why my spreadsheet doesn't include non-automatic cashback.
  • King_Suckerman
    Options
    Anyone know if the £5.50/month Vodafone deal through mobilephonesdirect includes 4G coverage? Thanks

http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/sim-only/pay-monthly-vodafone-micro#about-the-phone
  • ZhugeEX
    Options
    It does not.

Besides why the hell would you buy a 4G package with only 250mb data????
  • King_Suckerman
    Options
    Thanks.

So for 4G do I need a bigger data allowance than if I was to do the same stuff on 3G? Or is the assumption that by having 4G I would use it more?

I have my sister's old iphone 4S and was looking for a SIM only deal to use with that. Anything else I need to be aware of?
    My current o2 contract has just ended so don't see a problem there. The iphone was used with vodafone so I assume is locked to them.

All advice is appreciated.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 15 February 2015 at 11:53PM
    Options
    So for 4G do I need a bigger data allowance than if I was to do the same stuff on 3G? Or is the assumption that by having 4G I would use it more?
    It's the latter.
    250Gb is a very small usage that hardly needs 4g.
    I have my sister's old iphone 4S and was looking for a SIM only deal to use with that. Anything else I need to be aware of?
    My current o2 contract has just ended so don't see a problem there. The iphone was used with vodafone so I assume is locked to them.
    Can your sister not get it unlocked?

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/forms/unlock-code-request/
  • K0SS
    K0SS Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know, if they do credit checks on sim only deals? My contract is ending soon, and I now need a unlimited data sim on a rolling monthly contract. I don't use much minutes (150 minutes) and only about 200 texts maximum a month. My data usage is definitely under 10 GB a month. So come to think of it, it might not even be wise to have an unlimited data plan, if am only going to use 5GB max a month.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't know whom you mean by 'they', but most likely 'they' do.
  • K0SS
    K0SS Posts: 205 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2015 at 2:51PM
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    I don't know whom you mean by 'they', but most likely 'they' do.

I was googling and found this: http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/sim_only_deal/6a54fbc83f3fd65d6a0eabb50849950280e47d98?page=%2Fmobiles%2Fcompare%2Fsim_only_deals%2F&position=1

It states no contract and no credit checks.
  • ZhugeEX
    Options
    K0SS wrote: »

That's pay as you go. Not a contract. Pay as you go has never required credit checks because it's a cash/card top up service.

Only a SIM Only contract will require a credit check. If you're switching to SIM Only on the same network then likely you won't need a credit check. If you're switching to a new network then you will require a credit check on a new SIM Only contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure