Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)

Options

Comments

• DonnaKebab
    Options
    Are the prices on the comparison sites (moneysupermarket / mobilephonechecker etc) including vat or not? I cant see anywhere that it tells you?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Only for business tariffs prices can be quoted without VAT.
  • abc123456
    abc123456 Posts: 352 Forumite
    Options
    I am looking for a SIM only deal for a "tracker" which uses SMS only. The best deal I can find is from "mobile phones direct" and is £6.99 per month (actual is more but £6.99 is via cashback by redemption). This is on t-mobile network, 300 mins (not needed), unlimited texts (needed) and 250mB data (not needed).
    I prefer the t-mobile/EE/Orange network as Vodafone and 3 do not cover the area where I need the tracker, very well.
    Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
  • grumbler
    edited 9 December 2014 at 4:44PM
    Options
    I know nothing about trackers, but do you really need unlimited?

Virgin offer unlimited texts for 12x£5 (1x£5 and £28.50 quidco for their BB/TV/phone customers).

http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.html
  • abc123456
    abc123456 Posts: 352 Forumite
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    I know nothing about trackers, but do you really need unlimited?

Virgin offer unlimited texts for 12x£5 (1x£5 and £28.50 quidco for their BB/TV/phone customers).

http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.html

Thanks, I will have a look at that !
  • Magzzee
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm about to get my very first mobile (I know, pathetic. :o)
    I'm thinking of going with Virgin's Sim only deal as I have a Virgin TV, BB & LL package.
    I need to know, when the sim only deal says "unlimited calls", does this mean calls to ANY mobile network are free? I'm not sure which networks all my friends & family are on and don't want a huge additional bill due to various network charges.
    Thanks a million for any help you can provide.:grouphug:
  • Magzzee
    Options
    Oops.. sorry.. that should be "unlimited MINUTES" not "unlimited calls.":)
  • grumbler
    edited 11 December 2014 at 12:41PM
    Options
    Magzzee wrote: »
    ...does this mean calls to ANY mobile network are free?
    Generally, yes - calls to any UK mobile network and to geographical UK landline numbers.
    For some numbers that look like a normal mobile number, but aren't included see http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/pay-monthly/pay-monthly-call-charges.html#pay

Also, "Calls and texts to Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man mobiles not included.", but their mobile numbers can look similar to UK mobile numbers and can be used, AFAIK, buy some 'UK' networks like Lycamobile, Togglemobile etc. So, it's worth keeping a close look on your mobile bill.
  • Magzzee
    Magzzee Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Generally, yes - calls to any UK mobile network and to geographical UK landline numbers.
    For some numbers that look like a normal mobile number, but aren't included see

Also, "Calls and texts to Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man mobiles not included.", but their mobile numbers can look similar to UK mobile numbers and can be used, AFAIK, buy some 'UK' networks like Lycamobile, Togglemobile etc. So, it's worth keeping a close look on your mobile bill.

Thank you sooooooo much grumbler, I really appreciate your extremely helpful and comprehensive reply. :grin:

I'll check out the link and be sure to avoid those numbers. I don't know anyone in Jersey, etc, so don't think that should be a problem.

Thanks again for taking the time to research & reply, most kind of you and truly appreciated. :smileyhea
    PS: had to remove your link as got this msg: Sorry as a new user you are not allowed to post with links. This is done to stop spammers clogging up the site. Please edit your message below to continue.
  • sleepymans
    Options
    Hi there
    I have been trying to pin down a good deal for light use of an unlocked phone to provide unlimited calls and texts only (dont use data at all- ever)

At the moment I have Tesco 500 mins calls and unlimited texts for £10 p.m.
    I would prefer a contract rather than PAYG.
    Any tips from you (young) tech-savvy members would be gratefully received.
    Cheers
    Sleepy
    :A Goddess :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills