Have you tried to claim compensation for flight delays?

Options

Comments

• Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pfogg wrote: »
    Did anyone fly on the Thomson flight from Montego Bay to Manchester on 21st June 2012? If so, do you have the flight number, this flight was delayed 3+hrs. Thanks

You have just over three months to start a legal claim (with the courts, not the airline) or you’re out of time.
  • Hetheron
    Options
    2018 update !!
    #11046 16th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    This week I teceived a phone call from one of those No Win No Fee firms about a delayed flight from Newcastle to Spain in July 2012 ! Nearly 6 years ago !
    It is coming up to the time I must claim by, apparently.
    Every long forgotten and unretreivable detail was quoted, time, day, booking reference with Thomas Cook etc etc
    Long and the short was that I let him send details via email but eventually found that the fee would be 30% of any payment to me, £15 paperwok fee and all plus Vat.
    No way !!! so I went to the MSE Site and using all the details I now held, I instigated my own claim using the brilliant "Resolver"
    Thomas Cook replied almost instantly via Resolver and sent a redeemable voucher woth !!!8364;900 to be used agaist any Thomas Cook hoilday but before March 2019
    I replied that vouchers were of no use to me and I wanted payment in cash via my bank
    A reply came stating the voucher was !!!8364;800 plus a good will payment of £200 giving !!!8364;900 in total.
    I replied once more, stating vouchers were of no use to me as all my holiday are already booked and passport would have expired by the final date, so as per the EU directive which states all claims are to be Paid in whichever EU countries legal tender, and that vouchers only need to be accepted if the claimant had signed and agreemt to accept vouchers and so accordingly I wanted my payment in cash
    Once more via Resolver and this time at 3.14 am, I received a further reply full of apologies and saying it was all soted out and to provide my bank details.
    This I did and was later informed that payment of !!!8364;800 ..presumably in equivalent British money would be paid in to my account and within 28 days.
    I must add that all this happened within 48 hours via Resolver contacting and passing on my replies to Thomas Cook who seem to have people working even at 3.14 am !!
    I now just have to wait and see if they do actualy make payment.

A PS to all this is that I have just had the NWNF lot pursuing me via email which I replied to telling them I wasnt using them to proceed with claim and then within the last 10 minutes received two phone calls from them ..two different people...but think they got the message !
    Use MSE ALWAYS !!
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmmm.........
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Hetheron
    Options
    Already posted under TomasCook page but here it is again
    UPDATE 2018

Our flight was from Newcastle to Reus on 29 July 2012. Very early morning flight. Aircraft in for turnround but had elecrtical fault so delayed till replacement flown in. It had an oil leak which they worked on but couldnt repair and would work on overnight.
    We watched the sun rise...and the sun fo down and were transported to hotels overnight with free dinner and breakfast, Back to airport for same early departure but further delay until someone signed the plane off as airworthy.
    At the time, tried to claim via travel insurance but didnt have the supposed "chitty"from the Airline so no claim
    Last week..March 2018 I had a call from one of those No Win No Fee companies who knew every long forgotten detals of flight, telling me the time for claiming was running out so I let them send me details re possible claim but on reading the Fee if a win...No Way ...30% + £15 paperwork + Vat and if it went ro court and failed, then I might be liable for their expenses.
    Having the details now to hand, I went to this great Site and via Resolver sent my claim. Very prompt response from Thos Cook, even one at 3.14 AM !!
    Tried to fob me off with a voucher for use on a holiday with them..€800 + £200 good will. I refused voucher so it was cancelled and was asked for bank details and last heard, a payment of £700 which in their words,equates to the €800 is on its way to my bank. The £200 was removed they said as it was a promotion . Well £700 ain't bad except that at their own exchange rate on the day they supposedly sent the payment, in my calculations, amounted to £722.84 !!
    I have to add that from beginning to end apart from waiting for the funds to appear in our bank account...it was completed within 48 hours !! Have Thos Cook improved ?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hetheron wrote: »
    Already posted under TomasCook page but here it is again
    and you posted it above the other day
  • Jmcxxeleney
    Options
    Has anyone tried to claim from Blue Air? Sent a complaint through their website several weeks ago and heard nothing back. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions on moving forward?
  • JPears
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    and you posted it above the other day
    its amended to show TC have actually paid. I don't know why but this post is a bit suspicious to me, doesn't quite add up.

• MrMrsJES
    Options
    We recently had a flight delayed, 3hr40mins late on arrival (touch down not doors open!)
    Thanks to the wonderful advice presented on this forum we decided to use the Resolver tool which created the email for us which would go to Jet2.
    Auto acknowledgement recevied (as expected) and then we waited a couple of days.
    Today we had a response from Jet2 on the Resolver website stating we need to make the submission in writing only.
    Am I being cynical... Is this fair and reasonable in todays day and age? There is no audit trail of complaints being recevied in this manner, plus it presents a delay for the airline!
    Am I within my rights to press ith submitting by email or do I have to adhere to their terms?
    Their website is absolutley no help whatsoever but it does make a specific point stating that wherever possible the airline prefers to respond to personal email addresses rather than through the claim site Resolver!

Any advice gratefully received.
  • JPears
    Options
    Resend in writing both snail mail and email (have they given you a case reference?)
    But as they are imposing unreasonable rules, impose your own, demanding a response and payment within 21 days.
    Airlines will play silly!!!!!!s as much as they can to avoid paying out..

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is a claims process on their website, it's quick, easy and direct.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure