Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• kingjs
    kingjs Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there I hope someone can help me , to see if I am entitled to any compensation.
    Last thursday I was part of a stag group that flew from London-Riga, then a connecting flight from Riga-Tallinn. In total there were 17 of us, however from the connecting flight from Riga-Tallinn, 5 of us were denied boarding as the flight was full.
    The flight was at 1625 and were told the next flight available was 2300 which was unacceptable as we had activities planned that evening. The flights cost £41.20 each but the inconvenience was the biggest factor. In the end the airline paid for a taxi from Riga to Tallinn which took 5 hours.
    Do I have a claim? thanks
  • Den_ram
    Den_ram Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    Page one of the specific airline threads - the FAQs have all the info.
    So, on the FAQ page it states after rejection of my claim, i should issue 14 days notice of court action.
    i have had no reply from either flight company. Do i wait for a reply or sent another letter or issue NBA?
    Thanks!:o
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Den_ram wrote: »
    So, on the FAQ page it states after rejection of my claim, i should issue 14 days notice of court action.
    i have had no reply from either flight company. Do i wait for a reply or sent another letter or issue NBA?
    Thanks!:o

You can regard no response in a reasonable timeframe as cause for writing a Notice Before Action letter, giving them 14 days to settle. And then you can initiate court proceedings.
  • Den_ram
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    You can regard no response in a reasonable timeframe as cause for writing a Notice Before Action letter, giving them 14 days to settle. And then you can initiate court proceedings.
    Thanks for your help, Vauban!!
    So, can i charge the flight companies interest too? I read somewhere it was 8%.
    Is that 8% of total or 8% per annum for every year since the delay?
    There were 8 of us delayed from man-sanford for 18 hours in 2008.
    So, there are 8 passengers claiming 600euros each, how do i work out the interest? Thanks again for your help!!
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    So, there are 8 passengers claiming 600euros each, how do i work out the interest? Thanks again for your help!!

Yes you can claim interest - 8% per annum since the date of the delay. Have a look at the thread "Taking the airlines to court" - there were some good links in there, including step by step guides.
  • romanby1
    romanby1 Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    Were you all on the sane booking.
    If not any claim will have to be done on an idividual basis on each booking.
  • Den_ram
    Options
    romanby1 wrote: »
    Were you all on the sane booking.
    If not any claim will have to be done on an idividual basis on each booking.
    yeah we were all on the same booking
  • Barnesy967
    Barnesy967 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Jet2 are denying me compensation for an eight hour delay suffered by my wife, daughter & myself in July 2009, citing the following:
    "On investigation, extraordinary circumstances led to the delay of your flight. Compensation for delays caused by extraordinary circumstances are excluded under Regulation 261/2004. More specifically the delay was caused by an unexpected flight safety shortcoming. Consequently there is no entitlement to compensation on this occasion."
    Anybody else received such a response?
    Are they correct in their response?
  • Barnesy967
    Barnesy967 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, I posted in wrong place!
    Thank you!
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Centipede,
    Your thread which lists known monarch delays and causes for delays is epic. Is it possible to start one for Thomson airways/TUI Travel? I'm happy to do so but feel very new to all this.
    BB

I'm glad Centipede has been recognised for his sterling work in listing all of those flights ;) :rotfl:

If you''ve got 5 minutes spare, fancy popping together a Thomson one as well? :T:T
    Eeeeeee....... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

BB, have to say, the Monarch flight list has evolved over 6 months, it's certainly a shame that no-one from the respective Thomson or Thomas Cook threads also took up the torch at the start of all this malarkey, but I doubt that anyone has about 2 spare days to compile such a list (for free) now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback