Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    I picked this up from another site
    I have seen and heard many calls from the people down in customer services and the amount of ficticious rubbish and downright rudeness and abuse they get from passengers is completely insane. Spurious issues and vastly over inflated claims make up a huge amount of the stuff that happens and I know how much effort they put in to deal with problems for passengers. I left at 1930 tonight and more than a few were still there sorting stuff out, they don't get paid for that and are supposed to finish at 1730, but they were still there dealing with issues, as they do most nights.

This is from someone that works at one of the airlines discussed on these pages.

Whilst folk do have issues with them, if they are stooping to this behaviour (which IMO includes calling them liars on here) they should stop & take a breath.

The employees will just be following company policy (as we all do at work) so there is no need to take your frustrations out on individuals!
  • spaceaarvark
    spaceaarvark Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ich wrote: »
    I picked this up from another site

This is from someone that works at one of the airlines discussed on these pages.

Whilst folk do have issues with them, if they are stooping to this behaviour (which IMO includes calling them liars on here) they should stop & take a breath.

The employees will just be following company policy (as we all do at work) so there is no need to take your frustrations out on individuals!

Agreed. I have been surprised by the number of "I will never book a holiday with these people again" statements that appear here just because the airline/associated tour company has not immediately caved in and forked out.
    Better to take a dispassionate approach; just turn the handle, go through the process and come out the other end with your dues.
  • thalia22
    thalia22 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    l.walton wrote: »
    No word about my warrant and have had it two weeks now so just gave the court in charge of it a call.

Apparently they have a couple of warrants against Singapore Airlines and there is 'not much they can do' as they won't let them into the building.

Don't really know where to go from here. I don't get my £100 back either!

High their I Walton, Maybe you should try this, they can even impound a plane?
    Regards Thalia22

Why choose The Sheriffs Office
    <li class="parent">High Court Enforcement Simplicity
    Employment Tribunal Awards
    Rent Collection
    Repossession & Eviction
    Debt Collection
    Tracing Agents
    Money Claim Online
    Statutory demand
    Process Serving
    Enforcement of Scottish, Northern Irish and European Judgments & Orders
    How to make your case enforceable
    Local authorities
    Community fees
    leo.jpg
    Writ of fieri facias

When a County Court or High Court judgment is enforced by The Sheriffs Office, Authorised High Court Enforcement Officers, we act under a writ of fieri facias, also known as a writ of fi fa
    The writ of fi fa instructs our enforcement officer to attend the debtor's premises - as well as any other premises where goods belonging to the debtor may reasonably be expected to be found - to seize goods and assets belonging to the debtor. These will then be sold at auction or by private treaty to raise the amount stated in the original judgment, plus court fees, judgment interest and enforcement costs and fees.
    The court fee to obtain a writ of fieri facias is £60, and The Sheriffs Office will manage the process of obtaining the writ on your behalf.
    In practice, their seizure of assets under a writ of fi fa often encourages the debtor to make payment, rather than lose their assets.
    Applying for a writ of fieri facias

You can apply for a writ of fi fa using Form 293A. Once you have instructed The Sheriffs Office, we will manage the process of obtaining the writ on your behalf. We make no charge for this service. All you pay is the £60 court fee.
    Recent articles
      <li class="tint">
    25:04:2013 - Gaining entry - Transforming Bailiff Action changes<li class="notint">25:04:2013 - High Court Enforcement key facts<li class="tint">11:04:2013 - Are contractors liable for loss due to falling property values?<li class="notint">11:04:2013 - Distraint for rent - what you need to know
    [*]11:04:2013 - Possession Hearings for Landlords: Snakes and Ladders
    “If you are not getting your money back after getting a CCJ, remember that County Court Bailiffs have very limited legal powers. I was advised to go via The Sheriffs Office, who transfer the Judgement from the County Court to the High Court and their Officers have much greater powers and you are not charged for this, only the Court Fee. It took them 6 weeks to get my money from the defendant in full, whilst I had been dealing with the County Court for 6 months!! They proved to be fast, professional and determined in all their actions and I am truly a very happy person.”
  • Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe you should try this, they can even impound a plane?
    And the chances of them getting airside at an airport past all the security would be what?

They will not have any legal rights of entry
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    Options
    l.walton wrote: »
    No word about my warrant and have had it two weeks now so just gave the court in charge of it a call.

Apparently they have a couple of warrants against Singapore Airlines and there is 'not much they can do' as they won't let them into the building.

Don't really know where to go from here. I don't get my £100 back either!
    thalia22 wrote: »
    High their I Walton, Maybe you should try this, they can even impound a plane?
    Regards Thalia22

Why choose The Sheriffs Office.........

Just checking the claim was issued in Scotland as I hadn't seen any reference to it. Apologies if I've missed it.
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • nvrflbr
    nvrflbr Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Last September, I was due on a flight of Brussels air from Manchester,through Brussles to NY. The flight took off on the estimated time only to land 30 min later back in Manchester due to problems in the landing gear. This flight was subsequently cancelled, and handled very badly by the ground crew, I completely missed my flight that day.
    Following your advice, I sent them the letter by email, twice, and about a month and a half later, I finally got this response:

"Dear Mrs ...,

We refer to your claim.

With regards to your comments, please allow us to inform you that this flight was cancelled d as a result of an unforeseen technical problem and as such being beyond our control. However, as a sign of our goodwill, please find hereby included a release of 600EUR to cover the consequences of this incident. We will be pleased to instruct our accounting department to pay this amount upon receipt of the completed and signed document.

We reiterate our apologies for the unfavourable impression we have given you and do hope to welcome you again on board our flights."

I'd say this is a favorable result.
    Thank you!!!
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    Options
    nvrflbr wrote: »
    However, as a sign of our goodwill, please find hereby included a release of 600EUR to cover the consequences of this incident.

Goodwill, aw bless ;)
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • jillsa
    jillsa Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    suelees1 wrote: »
    Just checking the claim was issued in Scotland as I hadn't seen any reference to it. Apologies if I've missed it.
    If it is a Scottish warrant issued by a Scottish Court you need to speak to Sheriff Officers about asking them to get it served for you.

I think if you can't effect personal service you can get it "posted on the walls of court" or something like that which equates to deemed service.
    Jillsa
  • ayrshire27
    Options
    Hi I have been delayed on a few flights I wrote to firstchoice/thomson at the start of april I gave them 21 days to reply then called them after 20 mins the customer service person said I woulnt have a valid claim as I never told or wrote to them at the time? She then went on to tell me that there legal team have looked into the new rulling and there is something to do withcontact within 23 months of your delay. She also said my letters were not on the system and couldnt help me anymore:( the following day I recieved a letter to say they were looking into it but to allow 56 days for an update 1 flight I was on was delayed 7 hours then finnaly cancelled from mexico to glasgow which arrived the following day 28 hours after the scedulled landing time.the other was 6 hours from the carribean also has anyone else had the hassle
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ayrshire27 wrote: »
    Hi I have been delayed on a few flights I wrote to firstchoice/thomson at the start of april I gave them 21 days to reply then called them after 20 mins the customer service person said I woulnt have a valid claim as I never told or wrote to them at the time? She then went on to tell me that there legal team have looked into the new rulling and there is something to do withcontact within 23 months of your delay. She also said my letters were not on the system and couldnt help me anymore:( the following day I recieved a letter to say they were looking into it but to allow 56 days for an update 1 flight I was on was delayed 7 hours then finnaly cancelled from mexico to glasgow which arrived the following day 28 hours after the scedulled landing time.the other was 6 hours from the carribean also has anyone else had the hassle

try posting on the Thomson thread - likely a lot of similar experiences there http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4384699
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback